* WC Group H thread (Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, S. Korea) *

14,192 Views | 386 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WolfCall
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They look old. Except Valverde. He is the gem of the team.
oh no
AG
really impressed with the speed + skill of Nunez, which we already knew about, and today the skill of bentancur. they're in a tough position going to the third match day with only 1 point.
akm91
AG
oh no said:

really impressed with the speed + skill of Nunez, which we already knew about, and today the skill of bentancur. they're in a tough position going to the third match day with only 1 point.
Sounds like the US
oh no
AG
akm91 said:

oh no said:

Sounds like the US
but the US has 2 points
akm91
AG
Ahh good point. I should've said Mexico
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00 said:

That was in the version of the laws 1-2 years ago. It's not currently in the laws of the game.

His hand was natural to the action he was doing. However, if he does make himself bigger he is liable for a penalty if it hits him. That's why they called it.
TRM
AG
https://www.theifab.com/law-changes/2021-22/
jeffk
AG
Yeah, that image was actually used as the before picture in one of the "changes to the laws" presentations we got a year or two back.
deadbq03
AG
Rudyjax
AG
TRM said:

https://www.theifab.com/law-changes/2021-22/
You realize they're playing under 22-23 laws of the game, right?

TRM
AG
Definition is the same, but they have an example in the presentation earlier.
https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/laws-of-the-game-2022-23?l=en
Rudyjax
AG
TRM said:

Definition is the same, but they have an example in the presentation earlier.
https://downloads.theifab.com/downloads/laws-of-the-game-2022-23?l=en

This is from the 22-23.

Quote:

Handling the ball For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit. Not every touch of a player's hand/arm with the ball is an offence. It is an offence if a player:
deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the bal
touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player's body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
scores in the opponents' goal: directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental

This is from the 20-21:

Quote:

Handling the ball
For the purposes of determining handball offences, the upper boundary of
the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.
It is an offence if a player:
deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the
hand/arm towards the ball
scores in the opponents' goal directly from their hand/arm, even if
accidental, including by the goalkeeper
after the ball has touched their or a team-mate's hand/arm, even if
accidental, immediately:
scores in the opponents' goal
creates a goal-scoring opportunity
touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player
deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player's hand/arm
directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is
close.
Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a
player's hand/arm:

directly from the player's own head or body (including the foot)
directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

As you can see, they removed that from the laws of the game 1.5 years ago.

What I said is correct.
MookieBlaylock
AG
So Dale ESPN's soccer editor was proven wrong by a U15 soccer mom

Nice
TXAggie2011
AG
I think it would/should fall under the "for that situation" part of the new definition. That's not an unnatural position when you're falling down like that
Rudyjax
AG
Agreed but there's this, " By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised ".

It's basically poorly written and interpreted differently. No one is going to agree even referees.
Rudyjax
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

So Dale ESPN's soccer editor was proven wrong by a U15 soccer mom

Nice

U16 soccer Dad, *****.
deadbq03
AG
That's a sentence that is describing what could happen if you make your body unnaturally bigger.

I'm not a lawyer but many moons ago I worked for a regulatory compliance office. You dang near have to diagram sentences to understand what they're trying to say. Find the subject and verb in the sentence before and ignore the exception clause between the two sentences.

But I agreeā€¦ they do a horrible job describing what "natural positions" are. In my book, all accidental handball could be deemed a natural position with very little thought. Consider when a normal person jumps in the airā€¦ it is absolutely natural to put arms out for balance and/or to catch yourself if you land awkwardly. You know this is the natural tendency, because guys have to train and unnaturally pin their arms behind their backs to avoid getting a handball. The standards are super vague and inconsistently applied.
oh no
AG
Regardless of whether the var review penalty was correct per the letter of the laws of the game, it still felt harsh to essentially award Portugal a goal because a guy put his hand to the ground to break his fall. That ball was not likely to assist or score a goal whether it glanced his arm or not.
Mathguy64
AG
I finally saw this. Putting your arm to the ground as a brace isn't a get out of jail free card. I saw it and my first reaction was that's deliberate and a pen. But if you think it's a brace I have no issue with that. It's a really subjective call. I really hate the VAR here as it's not a clear and obvious error either way.

If you call it because that's what you think you are obligated to card it as intentional handing. He didn't. IMHO that's a miss.
Out in Left Field
AG
Any Ghanaian revenge on Suarez for the 2010 handball?
jeffk
AG
Ttt for this morning
MookieBlaylock
AG
Portugal doesn't need much to win group
Uruguay has had a terrible WC
Ghana favourite to get 2nd
SKorea devastated by BTS joining the army

aznaggiegirl07
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Portugal doesn't need much to win group
Uruguay has had a terrible WC
Ghana favourite to get 2nd
SKorea devastated by BTS joining the army

No SKorea wouold be devastated if they didnt join the army...

There was a famous Korean celebrity in the lat 90's, early 2000s that stated that he was going to serve in the military, but he ended up not joining, Skorea viewed as a traitor/liar and has not been allowed into the country for like 20 years now...
gambochaman
AG
Uruguay need to beat ghana by any result and portugal to beat or draw with korea

I think thats right
gambochaman
AG
No, need to beat ghana by at least 2
oh no
AG
Portugal
  • Win or draw vs. KOR: POR advance as group winner.
  • Loss vs. KOR: POR advance as group winner if GHA draw or lose. POR advance as winner or runner-up based on tiebreakers if GHA win.
Ghana
  • Win vs. URU: GHA advance as group winner (on tiebreakers if POR lose) or group runner-up (if POR win or draw)
  • Draw vs. URU: GHA advance as group runner-up if KOR draw or lose. GHA can advance or be eliminated based on tiebreakers if KOR win.
  • Loss vs. URU: GHA eliminated.
South Korea
  • Win vs. POR: Tiebreakers to determine whether KOR eliminated or advance as runner-up if URU win or URU-GHA draw. (KOR need to win by two goals to claim tiebreaker if URU-GHA draw.) KOR eliminated if GHA win.
  • Draw or loss vs. POR: KOR eliminated.
Uruguay
  • Win vs. GHA: URU qualify as runner-up if KOR lose or draw. Tiebreakers determine runner-up if KOR win.
  • Draw or loss vs. GHA: URU eliminated.
OregonAggie
AG
oh no said:

Portugal
  • Win or draw vs. KOR: POR advance as group winner.
  • Loss vs. KOR: POR advance as group winner if GHA draw or lose. POR advance as winner or runner-up based on tiebreakers if GHA win.
Ghana
  • Win vs. URU: GHA advance as group winner (on tiebreakers if POR lose) or group runner-up (if POR win or draw)
  • Draw vs. URU: GHA advance as group runner-up if KOR draw or lose. GHA can advance or be eliminated based on tiebreakers if KOR win.
  • Loss vs. URU: GHA eliminated.
South Korea
  • Win vs. POR: Tiebreakers to determine whether KOR eliminated or advance as runner-up if URU win or URU-GHA draw. (KOR need to win by two goals to claim tiebreaker if URU-GHA draw.) KOR eliminated if GHA win.
  • Draw or loss vs. POR: KOR eliminated.
Uruguay
  • Win vs. GHA: URU qualify as runner-up if KOR lose or draw. Tiebreakers determine runner-up if KOR win.
  • Draw or loss vs. GHA: URU eliminated.

thanks for posting these!
OregonAggie
AG
Anyone else hoping for a Suarez red card again to break Ghanaian hearts?
wangus12
AG
Still one of the craziest things I've ever seen, but it actually made sense and it worked
deadbq03
AG
Even crazier is seeing so many people on Twitter act like Ghana was cheated somehow. Saw it come up again before the games started.
La Bamba
AG
This group is pretty solid top to bottom.
MookieBlaylock
AG
PORTUGAL - scores within 5 minutes

Uruguay only team that hasn't scored in the WC
La Bamba
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

PORTUGAL - scores within 5 minutes

Uruguay only team that hasn't scored in the WC

Wild with Nunez, Suarez, Cavani and Valverdeā€¦
Mathguy64
AG
1' in and Ghana has already committed a foul that was nasty. Rake of studs that just got a finger wave. It's a card all day. IMHO it was 100% intentional.
MookieBlaylock
AG
the Ghana Uruguay game is now the one to watch- as Uruguay win gets them thru and a Ghana tie gets them thru

Skorea pushing up is gonna lead to Portugal goals

and i was projecting- it is really myself that is upset BTS is in the army

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.