* WC Group H thread (Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, S. Korea) *

14,186 Views | 386 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WolfCall
Out in Left Field
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coach just got sent off for his post match tirade.
oh no
AG
Ref ends the game after Korea earns a corner. Players and coach not too happy about that. Can't say I blame them.

Congrats Ghana.
RED AG 98
AG
Well that was super fun! Back to work for oh 56 minutes or so
MookieBlaylock
AG
I can't be the only one that wants the Mascot hat that Korean was wearing

Casper the towel hat is money
wangus12
AG
Its been more attacking for most of the 2nd round.

We had 41 goals scored in the first round (16 games), but 20 of them came in 3 games (Spain 7-nil; England 6-2; France 4-1). You had 4 0-0 matches.

In the second round, you've had 35 goals with two matches left. Only one match at 0-0 (USA-ENG) and all the matches have been much more open and even.
TXAggie2011
AG
oh no said:

Ref ends the game after Korea earns a corner. Players and coach not too happy about that. Can't say I blame them.

Congrats Ghana.

Don't blame him but getting a strong word in is not worth the red card
jeffk
AG
The "unwritten rule on attacking free kicks" sort of goes out the window with the longer, more accurate amounts of stoppage time, imo.

He's pissed because they lost.
oh no
AG
if USMNT was down 1 late, and won a CK right near the minimum announced stoppage time and the ref blew three whistles and didn't let us take it, and Greggg didn't get in the ref's face, I'd be angry at Greggg.
gougler08
AG
oh no said:

Congrats Ghana.
Maybe if they had been dangerous on one of the other 12 corners I'd feel bad for them
oh no
AG
I don't feel bad for them. I'm happy for Ghana. But I can certainly understand why they'd be pissed about hearing the three whistles right as they won a corner.
LeonardSkinner
Having not watched the match, I might offer this: maybe time ran out before the ball went into touch for the corner.

Perhaps the official gave them that leeway time during the attack, and once it failed, he ended the game.
oh no
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

Having not watched the match, I might offer this: maybe time ran out before the ball went into touch for the corner.

Perhaps the official gave them that leeway time during the attack, and once it failed, he ended the game.
this was almost certainly the case, but if you took a shot and it was deflected out for a corner and then you hear 3 whistles, you'd still be pissed no matter what.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Meh it was a weak shot out of desperation
They were over 10 minutes into stoppage time

WolfCall
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Games should end the same way regardless of the amount of stoppage time. Feel bad for Korea.
TXAggie2011
AG
WolfCall said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Games should end the same way regardless of the amount of stoppage time. Feel bad for Korea.
They were going on the 12th minute of stoppage time...ref said "I'll give them one more attack"...I get the "unwritten rule" thing 100% but its obvious and understandable why the ref blew the whistle...
Mathguy64
AG
So if SK keeps getting corners, are you going to keep letting them take corners? As some point you have to say you had your chance, the game is over. They posted 9 minutes of stoppage and the game ended at 90+11.
TXAggie2011
AG
oh no said:

if USMNT was down 1 late, and won a CK right near the minimum announced stoppage time and the ref blew three whistles and didn't let us take it, and Greggg didn't get in the ref's face, I'd be angry at Greggg.
I'd certainly want to see Berhalter go say something. But I wouldn't want him to cross the line into red card territory after the final whistle when you have no recourse and going into our decisive final group stage match.

If the Swiss coach's comments didn't warrant a red card, shame on the referee. Based on how long he was barking and how many Swiss staff were trying to intervene, I'm pretty sure he crossed the line.
oh no
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So if SK keeps getting corners, are you going to keep letting them take corners?
that's kindof the unwritten rule that many assume. I understand why the ref finally ended it, but ref could have ended it earlier on the last clearance by ghana or waited for one more corner to avoid controversy. I'm sure the ghana coaches were yelling to end it because they're over the min 9 or 10 they put up at 90, but then the S Korean coaches are obviously like wtf - why'd you end it there?
oh no
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

But I wouldn't want him to cross the line into red card territory after the final whistle when you have no recourse and going into our decisive final group stage match.
are we sure this wouldn't be a good thing?
TXAggie2011
AG
That blonde Uruguayan in the crown...I'm in love
MookieBlaylock
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

That blonde Uruguayan in the crown...I'm in love

Forlan is dreamy
oh no
AG
wow. that run and that skill from Uruguay. Should have scored there.
Out in Left Field
LeonardSkinner
Every Uruguayan has that look and pose right now
OregonAggie
AG
Betancur is a dribbling machine today
oh no
AG
this bentancur fellow is really skillful. I don't recall being that impressed or noticing him much with Tottenham.
oh no
AG
how in the wide world of sports is Godin still plugging along starting for URU at 36? He's like 7 years older than John Brooks.
LeonardSkinner
I feel like almost every unnaturally blonde player at the WC could be mistaken for Pete Davidson.
swc93
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

I feel like almost every unnaturally blonde player at the WC could be mistaken for Pete Davidson.
My daughter and I have just been yelling "Go Pete" every time Dest makes a play for the US.
wangus12
AG
Damn. ****ing Ronaldo

Edit: Actually don't think thats his goal
oh no
AG
Uruguay needs to go get one now
oh no
AG
lol. CR7 didn't even touch that one.
gougler08
AG
CR7 really excited for not touching that at all
TXAggie2011
AG
wangus12 said:

Damn. ****ing Ronaldo

Edit: Actually don't think thats his goal
He didn't touch it
oh no
AG
back line not in sync. mistake kept Ronaldo onsides

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.