* WC Group B thread (England, Iran, USA, Wales) *

25,453 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BJM1781
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Iran so far away
Iran all night and day
I couldn't get away
Agthatbuilds
I'd had a hard time not saying- "yes, we have our struggles in the states. You mentioned BLM. The nation had an angry outburst at some injustices and we really felt our voices were heard through protest. The govt in our country welcomes criticism and does not lock up 10s of thousands or kill thousands for political dissent. As I have learned how to correctly pronounce your country today, maybe you could learn about freedom of expression."
jeffk
AG
Here you go. US Soccer typically will post the whole thing on YouTube at some point too.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/match-34-pre-match-press-conference-usa
tysker
AG
the above question for Tyler happens at the 9:00 mark

eta: funny how the next question was from yahoo sports and the reporter qualified the question as being a 'soccer' question
jeffk
AG
The funniest moment for me was the first or second question GB got about % of fans who would be happy vs % that would be sad if they won. It was an enormously long question that read like some sort of SAT math problem. At the end GB leans over and has a little huddle with one of the comms folks and I'm sure they were both like WTF was that?
setsmachine
AG
Tyler Adams is *23* years old and answered that question on the fly without even a stutter, while his main focus has been preparing for the biggest game of his life tomorrow.
jeffk
AG
Lol

Dre_00
Follow up question was if England sees Wales as rivals or if England vs. sharks was a better rivalry.
Rudyjax
AG
setsmachine said:

Tyler Adams is *23* years old and answered that question on the fly without even a stutter, while his main focus has been preparing for the biggest game of his life tomorrow.

He wrote this at 19.

Tyler Adams is quite an amazing young man.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/tyler-adams-mls-new-york-red-bulls/amp
OregonAggie
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

setsmachine said:

He wrote this at 19.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/tyler-adams-mls-new-york-red-bulls/amp

I haven't really followed him that much throughout his career but I have since his Leeds move. I loved his composure in the presser and even more so his composure and passion on the field.

We've been waiting for Pulisic to become the bonafide star of this generation and Tyler Adams is going to be it. I don't think Leeds will hold onto him for too much longer.
moneyag7
Mentioning here since they line up with our group in the knockouts.
Netherlands won Group A and will play our group runner up on December 3rd.
Senegal came in second in Group A and will play our group winner on December 4th.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

setsmachine said:

He wrote this at 19.

I haven't really followed him that much throughout his career but I have since his Leeds move. I loved his composure in the presser and even more so his composure and passion on the field.

We've been waiting for Pulisic to become the bonafide star of this generation and Tyler Adams is going to be it. I don't think Leeds will hold onto him for too much longer.
There's room for both of them.

But Adams is going to be the guy on TV or in leadership with soccer in our country the next 40 years.
moneyag7
Halftime update and live standings from the group
England 0-0 Wales
USA 1-0 Iran

1 - England
2 - USA
3 - Iran
4 - Wales
tremble
AG
Amazing read
moneyag7
Rashford with an abosolute banger of a free kick for England to go up 1-0
moneyag7
Foden makes it 2-0 England
moneyag7
Rashford adds a second for himself today. 3-0 England
moneyag7
Group B Final Standings

England - 7 points
USA - 5 points
Iran - 3 points
Wales - 1 point
Pahdz
Now what, a "knockout stage" thread or a "USA World Cup Knockout Stage" thread?
moneyag7
I'll defer to JeffK, but I would think a generic knockout thread (maybe split by round) and then a single match thread for each USMNT game would be good
wangus12
AG
moneyag7 said:

I'll defer to JeffK, but I would think a generic knockout thread (maybe split by round) and then a single match thread for each USMNT game would be good

We've done it by round in the past
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

England and USA

Ahem
jeffk
AG
moneyag7 said:

I'll start at round of 16 thread here tomorrow and then have our normal US game threads.
MookieBlaylock
AG
each game should have its own thread once we hit the knockout stage - just start it -
aggiephoenix02
jeffk said:

moneyag7 said:

I'll start at round of 16 thread here tomorrow and then have our normal US game threads.
Thank you.

You've done a great job this cycle, and I'm sure I'm not the only poster on the board that appreciates you staying on top of everything…
oh no
AG
This group is over.

EOT
jeffk
AG
You're welcome!
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

You're welcome!
You're now 2-2-2 in your last 6.

You might not get relegated.
jeffk
AG
Thanks, Rudy.
aggiephoenix02
Jeffk, get a new thread for the next game or round so we can start posting on it…
aggiephoenix02
Jeffk, get a new thread started for the next round or match so we can start posting on it…
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Thanks, Rudy.
OregonAggie
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

schmendeler said:

Twitter seems pretty unimpressed with the managerial decision making of berhalter. Is this world cup going to be pretty disappointing?

Only if you let it. I'm going to enjoy watching all the different teams compete with various styles of play…and I'll watch us play in our 3 games. That's all this side is going to get.
Looking forward to bringing this back up
I'm completely fine eating crow if need be, that's what happens sometimes when making predictions, but this coach and squad gives me little to look forward to.

I just came to eat my crow from a previous thread. Proud of how the boys have played and GGG came up with a stellar game plan vs England.

I also have to mention that I made some negative comments about Tim Ream before and I think he's been pretty damn solid for us.

GGG, aside from the 2nd half of Wales, has coached well and our boys are fired up. I think we beat Netherlands by the way!

Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

Thanks, Rudy.
Ahhhhhhhhh.
JJxvi
AG
So next world cup, this 4 team group format will be replaced by 3 team groups. I looked at what the scenarios would have been if you had eliminated one team from these group to see how it changes scenarios. Kicking out England or Wales, the US would be fine and have a straight forward final game where we just need to win or draw and Iran would need to win.

However, an England, Wales, USA group. Would have had the USA sitting on 2 points and watching and waiting while England and Wales face each other in the final game with one point each. The USA would be through in second place as long as either team wins. A 0-0 or 1-1 draw would see Wales and USA go through. 2-2 would have England and the US depend on tiebreakers. And Wales and England would go through with a 3-3 draw.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.