* WC Group B thread (England, Iran, USA, Wales) *

25,441 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by BJM1781
moneyag7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ah yep I see that now. These 4am wake ups are catching up to me
aggie813
We've never lost to England in WC play.
Let's not start today! Praying for a win...hoping for a draw.
MookieBlaylock
AG
moneyag7 said:

At least you can add by 1
oh no
AG
Wow. Surprised to wake up to this. Was this headed to a 0-0 draw before the welsh keeper was sent off?
deadbq03
AG
gambochaman said:

Eh

I would rather total control over our destiny which we now do regardless of what happens against england
If we get rocked by England today and Wales manages to beat them, then Wales advances.
Gigemags382
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

moneyag7 said:

At least you can add by 1

Lol
Gigemags382
AG
oh no said:

Wow. Surprised to wake up to this. Was this headed to a 0-0 draw before the welsh keeper was sent off?

Yes, though Iran was already outplaying them
Dre_00
oh no said:

Iran could have had 2 or 3 before the goalie was sent off
birdman
I watched the game. Wales was lucky to be in the game at all. Iran was dangerous for most of the game. The second half was basically a fast break for Iran. Wales did nothing.

Is the 3 points for Iran a Texags bit that I missed? There are only two points available in WC match. Winner gets two points. A tie splits them. You don't earn three points for a victory.
MookieBlaylock
AG
birdman said:

I watched the game. Wales was lucky to be in the game at all. Iran was dangerous for most of the game. The second half was basically a fast break for Iran. Wales did nothing.

Is the 3 points for Iran a Texags bit that I missed? There are only two points available in WC match. Winner gets two points. A tie splits them. You don't earn three points for a victory.

Better tell FIFA the point system changed to 2 pts for a win
deadbq03
AG
No, a win really is 3 points and if you edit your post, I'll edit mine.
Gigemags382
AG
birdman said:

Agthatbuilds
That's not accurate
oh no
AG
Well, a draw would have best, but the Wales loss is not terrible. Instead of worrying about pressure for USA to whip Iran by X goals on the third match day, there might be pressure to just win.
deadbq03
AG
I like it. If we can't beat Iran we have no business moving on.
birdman
I forgot they changed the scoring. Leave my silly post up there unedited. It won't bother me too much.
gougler08
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

No pressure

To move on:

Need to lose by one goal today and beat iran

Or

Tie today and beat Iran

Or

Win today and tie/beat Iran, or lose by no less than one goal

Or the most likely scenario is lose today, but simply beat Iran and we advance (assuming Wales doesn't get good all of a sudden and beat England, which seems unlikely)
gougler08
AG
birdman said:

I forgot they changed the scoring. Leave my silly post up there unedited. It won't bother me too much.

When did the change it cause I've watched a lot of soccer and it's always been 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw?
MookieBlaylock
AG
birdman said:

You forgot they changed this in 1994?
gougler08
RebAg13
AG
Only a win against England really matters today.

If we can't beat Iran we don't deserve to advance. Not a bad result.
We are the Aggies, The Aggies are We
Mike Elko
AG
birdman said:

Wanna know how I know you don't know soccer?
Agthatbuilds
Beating Iran solves all
Boiling Denim
birdman said:

If you're just getting out of one of those nuclear fallout shelters and are catching up just go ahead and skip the early 2000s nothing good happens
KCup17
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Beating Iran solves all

This is what I'm worried about. Can we actually do that?
MookieBlaylock
AG
KCup17 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Beating Iran solves all

Not if 10% goes to the Big Giy
Boiling Denim
KCup17 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Beating Iran solves all

If we can't we don't deserve to progress to KOs anyways so it's a good litmus test
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
gambochaman said:

Fantastic news to wake up to

Why is this good?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
birdman said:

moneyag7
I know we all want to beat England today for the online content and vibes but we should realistically be rotating heavily and not playing any of our players sitting on a yellow (Dest, Ream, McKennie, and Acosta). I'm ok with still starting Pulisic, Adams, and co. but we need to have subs ready for them in the 60th.
RebAg13
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

gambochaman said:

Fantastic news to wake up to

Why is this good?

Whales win was the only bad outcome. Tie was also a good outcome but debatable if it was better since we don't have to get a result against England now.
We are the Aggies, The Aggies are We
Agthatbuilds
Yellow cards seem like a bigger deal now.

Also, 2 total yellow card=suspended is bull****
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think a tie would've been much more preferable, because now USA could get left out with no losses. (If they tie 3 times.)

Anything besides a win today gets USA nothing since they'll need to beat Iran to advance. I just don't like the pressure in those situations.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Whales win was the only bad outcome. Tie was also a good outcome but debatable if it was better since we don't have to get a result against England now.
But we need to keep the GD down if we lose to England in the event Wales beats England and ends up with better GD than us even if we beat Iran.

England is basically through with a tie, due to their GD, but I'm sure they'd want to finish top of the group to avoid Netherlands in the knockout round.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Why don't we just win the group?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.