******BTHO Texas******

13,197 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by King Koda
MookieBlaylock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Katie just got worked

Dammit
Gap
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Gap stand up and give the Texags salute

What does that look like?
oklaunion
Gap said:

I'm not understanding how our defense keeps letting people behind them so often for 1:1 with our goalie.
Overcommitment.
rgleml
AG
Evil Empire 2 Good Guys 1
Gap
AG
Pante is a fantastic player. If she can work to keep her shots down next year she can score a lot more goals. She will throw a bevy of moves on a defender and too often then have an open shot that flies 25 feet over the goal.
Gap
AG
Caldwell has had a nice game so far. Lots of tough saves.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Our back line is riding the struggle bus tonight. Can't seem to connect a pass. Texas plays into open space better than we do. They are much much faster, too.
GrapevineAg
AG
Everyone run away from the ball
WSCTR
MookieBlaylock
AG
Last goal summarizes the season
aggiedrjdub
AG
Absolutely inexplicable goal. 4 players around the ball and everyone of them back away from it. Unbelievable. Wow.
RED AG 98
AG
fletch01
AG
Brutal defense yet again
MROD92
Ouch
aggiedrjdub
AG
The problem is that stuff like that is instinct and isn't something you coach. You either have the desire to throw your body on the ball or you don't. We need some help on the back line next season or we will repeat another season like this one.
KCup17
AG
For those who aren't watching, what is the score line now?
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
3-1 Horns
FILO505
AG
KCup17 said:

For those who aren't watching, what is the score line now?

Not great, Bob
Jimma
Maybe recruit offensive minded player and teach them how to play defense if needed.
sharpdressedman
Not an unexpected outcome, and an appropriate ending to another miserable season.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Once the sips got the wind the game was over four all tents and porpoises
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
#7 cost us 2 goals and lucky she could have cost us 2 more!
Tex100
AG
Not a soccer person but sips like the much better team.
MookieBlaylock
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

#7 cost us 2 goals and lucky she could have cost us 2 more!

Getting beat 1v 1 is not costing the team a goal. It happens esp against elite forwards

4 players not attacking a ball in your box is costing the team a goal

Rambotx
This ends a very tough season for Aggie players and coaches. Planning begins for the 2023 Season.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Rambotx said:

This ends a very tough season for Aggie players and coaches. Planning begins for the 2024 Season.

saved you a year
DeangeloVickers
AG
Besides us, a really good night for the SEC
Wannabeanaggie
Tennessee loss is a blemish, although Xavier is a pretty good side. I like the team we have returning + freshman + transfer portal (striker and defender). Our attacking midfield was weak…..Becerra was missed.
HiddenAg2
Texas won this game in recruiting about 2 years ago when they signed Byars and Missimo. Byars is nearly impossible to defend if you are playing a high line like we were tonight. Bad matchup for both Smith and Sample. Not sure what the coaches were thinking there after about 5 through balls were served over the top and we were beaten every time. Texas probably should have scored at least 5 goals but Caldwell had a few nice saves 1v1 against Byars.

Someone said it earlier but although A&M played well in the last 15 minutes of the first half, as soon as we had to play against the wind in the second half it was over. Almost no sustained attack at all and very few chances outside the PK. I was happy to see Hayes get 10 goals on the season. Just wished we had converted a few more chances late in the first half and of course the referee robbed us of a PK against Pante on a clear take down.

The backline was a bit of a mess tonight and it culminated with that ridiculous third goal when no one went for the ball. Smith had her worst game of the season and Sample struggled as well with some turnovers. The good news is that Macy Matula played her best match of the season and completely shutdown her side of the field. She will get to pair with her sister Margo on the backline next year so that should be fun to watch. The midfield was pretty non-existent for long stretches of the match, with both Colvin and Cornog making too many mistakes and turnovers to keep possession. We made it way too easy for the Horns tonight.

Well the season came to a merciful end and although we made it to the NCAA tourney, it was a pretty disappointing season. I expected to be better than we showed, especially in SEC play when we started out 0-4 and put us in a bind. We barely made the SEC tourney and had a quick exit. We did have a winning season so that's better than last year, however, only marginal improvement was made. Injuries continue to be a yearly issue for this program and I don't know the solution for it. Other teams don't seem to be hit as hard as we are on a consistent yearly basis. I've stated it before but it's obvious the program is in decline despite Coach G's optimism for the future. It's true we have some talent coming in next year but will they mesh quickly with the returning players and will we see some real development in the fundamentals of the game? We should hit the transfer portal to shore up a few positions if we can get a quality player.

There's been a lot of talk of Coach G's future this year and although he still has 3 years left on his new contract, I don't know how safe he would be if he had a bad season next year (missing the NCAAs). He's been here for 30 years and we do seemed to have plateaued several years ago. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener when you make a big change, so we need to be careful. However, the program isn't as fun to watch anymore and the losses and bad play have been piling up for a few years now. I hope we can get back on track next year but I'm keeping my expectations low. Sad to say but that's where we are now as a program. A middle to lower third SEC side.
Chuckwaggie
AG
I'm a grassroots coach (d license) and started my soccer journey all to help my daughters get a consistent coach who will be out there with them at practice and games. 5 years later, I don't know what I would do without soccer

What I saw was a loss to dna and athletic ability. Our backline was slow-footed and reactionary the majority of the time. Sips would make a pass to space in middle and there would be no defense to pressure a mistake. Then with no pressure it was easy to move into attacking third where tu's speed was an advantage.

I think backline speed needs to change and their approach needs to change to more aggressive style and not keeping everything in front of them. Pressure the opposing team into some mistakes, otherwise we'll continue to see a track meet running past us.

I heard G say a couple of years ago in a Texags interview, he likes to recruit offensive minded players so then he has speed and attacking options all over the field. What I saw last night was not even close to that.
Wannabeanaggie
Looking at InStat data, the attacking midfield group (Colvin, Brockman and Pante) really struggled with possession. You can't win if you constantly lose possession of the ball. We need to shore up the back line, get another striker to take the heat off of Maile and strengthen the attacking midfield. Becerra can be part of the solution and hopefully a freshman or transfer. We are a couple players short of a great side.
HiddenAg2
Wannabeanaggie said:

Looking at InStat data, the attacking midfield group (Colvin, Brockman and Pante) really struggled with possession. You can't win if you constantly lose possession of the ball. We need to shore up the back line, get another striker to take the heat off of Maile and strengthen the attacking midfield. Becerra can be part of the solution and hopefully a freshman or transfer. We are a couple players short of a great side.
Over our history, when we've had a good midfield that can hold possession and attack with purpose and efficiency, we've had our best teams. When we are below average in the midfield we have struggled or underachieved. The last two seasons have proven this as well. We need to add a couple of talented midfielders from the portal if we are going to have a good season next year. But maybe the most important factor will be keeping our players healthy throughout Fall camp and the season. The injuries are just making it impossible to field our best possible team year after year. Think about the difference that a Geczik would have made this season to our attack.
Rambotx
Has Coach G ever used the portal?
mullokmotx
AG
9 players played in their first NCAA Tournament game: Hayes, Pante, Boeckmann. Cornog, Leb, Matula, Calzada, McDonald and Williams.
For the first half of the season it seemed that Pante and Colvin would take the ball down the sideline and try to cross it, but for the last 8 games or so it seemed that they tried to go into the middle of the field a lot more. Did anyone else notice that and know what may have been behind that strategy?
HiddenAg2 wrote several years ago that tu had a great class coming in, especially Byars, and they showed that last night. How did West Virginia shut them out in the Big 12 Tournament?
jessexy
AG
I had the pleasure to officiate WVU this season and they have a really strong defense and central midfield. I'm not sure how they finished 4th or 5th in the Big 12 standings this season. They also have a super athletic GK that will be a Canadian NT player at some point in her career. Texas relies alot on Byars to just beat defenders 1v1 and WVU didn't allow that.

I didn't watch the ncaa game but I know that our defense can't handle Byars.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Rambotx said:

Has Coach G ever used the portal?

Cornog and Smith both transfers

1 good 1 bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.