Sting soccer movie scrapped

2,339 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by swc93
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/matthew-mcconaughey-movie-dallas-sting-scrapped-1235220498/

I didn't realize this was a thing. I just showed up on my news feed. Any idea what the "disturbing allegations" against the original team might be?
deadbq03
AG
Considering we have to have a special rule #1 just to make guys behave - I have a pretty good idea.
jeffk
AG
Sting soccer movie? Fields of Gold!
Furlock Bones
AG
It's either allegations of sexual abuse or China didn't like it.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Would like to know a little more about the allegations because if it was anything to do with abuse, I feel they would have hinted at that in today's culture.

"Sources say Skydance and the producers received disturbing allegations surrounding aspects of the true story on which the drama was based."

Waiting to hear more
ColoradoMooseHerd
Reading several articles that are going in different directions on the allegations.

Quote:

In 1984, President Reagan made a concerted effort to open relations with China. China in turn invited America to send its U.S. team to the first world championship they were holding for women's soccer. There was only one problem there was no U.S. Women's Soccer Team. A nationwide search led officials to a 19-and-under league of Dallas high school girls who called themselves The Sting, after the recent Robert Redford-Paul Newman hit movie. Led by Kinder who had no prior experience coaching soccer before he formed the team the story of how this passionate group of young women got to China was miraculous. And what they did against the world's top women's teams from China, Australia and Italy comprised of grown women who played together for years was nothing short of a miracle.

In order to form the team nearly 40 years ago, Kinder had to get a note from a gynecologist asserting that playing soccer would not harm a woman's reproductive organs. Texas parents who envisioned their daughters waving pom-poms at halftime soon became the cheerleaders for this eclectic mix of girls drilled to precision by a Lombardi-like coach, and became a local powerhouse. They then overcame bureaucracy just to be able to make the trip, and rose to the occasion despite being underdogs against dominant international teams. All this led by a coach who so believed in The Sting that he charged $85,000 on his credit cards for non-refundable tickets to ensure the team got to China, where many expected they would lose badly.
This is the story the movie was based on supposedly. Big problem, by 1984 North Carolina women's team had already won two NCAA national championships and before the NCAA recognized the sport they still had a team going back to the 1970's and so did many other schools.

They had to get a gynecologist to say that it would not harm their reproductive organs? Come on, seriously? Women were playing all types of sports by then and hell my sister was playing soccer before this.

Sounds like a lot of the story was fabricated and then once someone did some due diligence into the story it fell apart. Also rumors of the girls conduct on the trip that the story was bringing to light.

Sad, when I first heard about this I was excited, but I think this one is dead. Unless they make a movie about the attempt to make a movie about a false story.
aTmAg
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Reading several articles that are going in different directions on the allegations.

Quote:

In 1984, President Reagan made a concerted effort to open relations with China. China in turn invited America to send its U.S. team to the first world championship they were holding for women's soccer. There was only one problem there was no U.S. Women's Soccer Team. A nationwide search led officials to a 19-and-under league of Dallas high school girls who called themselves The Sting, after the recent Robert Redford-Paul Newman hit movie. Led by Kinder who had no prior experience coaching soccer before he formed the team the story of how this passionate group of young women got to China was miraculous. And what they did against the world's top women's teams from China, Australia and Italy comprised of grown women who played together for years was nothing short of a miracle.

In order to form the team nearly 40 years ago, Kinder had to get a note from a gynecologist asserting that playing soccer would not harm a woman's reproductive organs. Texas parents who envisioned their daughters waving pom-poms at halftime soon became the cheerleaders for this eclectic mix of girls drilled to precision by a Lombardi-like coach, and became a local powerhouse. They then overcame bureaucracy just to be able to make the trip, and rose to the occasion despite being underdogs against dominant international teams. All this led by a coach who so believed in The Sting that he charged $85,000 on his credit cards for non-refundable tickets to ensure the team got to China, where many expected they would lose badly.
This is the story the movie was based on supposedly. Big problem, by 1984 North Carolina women's team had already won two NCAA national championships and before the NCAA recognized the sport they still had a team going back to the 1970's and so did many other schools.

They had to get a gynecologist to say that it would not harm their reproductive organs? Come on, seriously? Women were playing all types of sports by then and hell my sister was playing soccer before this.

Sounds like a lot of the story was fabricated and then once someone did some due diligence into the story it fell apart. Also rumors of the girls conduct on the trip that the story was bringing to light.

Sad, when I first heard about this I was excited, but I think this one is dead. Unless they make a movie about the attempt to make a movie about a false story.
I have a hard time believing that the whole thing was a lie. That would be an elaborate ass lie for very little reason. They got plenty of pictures of the event:

ColoradoMooseHerd
Not what I meant. Obviously the Dallas sting went, they started going in the 1970's to play in China and other countries. The movie script was a lie. They took a real story and then made up a lot of details that they passed off as factual.

Once the movie script details started to fall apart, it killed the movie.

That is why a lot of people are upset, they thought the Dallas Sting would have made a good movie, but because the people involved in the movie lied so much the whole project got scrapped.
tysker
AG
The event occurred certainly. But were some of the hardships, stories, and drama necessary for movie inaccurate or embellished?

There were plenty of female soccer players around in the mid-80s. I went on a Bobby Moffat tour to England in the late 80s and yes i was u12s or u13s at the time but there were several female teams. With really good players too. Soccer was a well established and accepted sport for girls in North Texas in those days.
aTmAg
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Not what I meant. Obviously the Dallas sting went, they started going in the 1970's to play in China and other countries. The movie script was a lie. They took a real story and then made up a lot of details that they passed off as factual.

Once the movie script details started to fall apart, it killed the movie.

That is why a lot of people are upset, they thought the Dallas Sting would have made a good movie, but because the people involved in the movie lied so much the whole project got scrapped.
According to the article, the story wasn't scrapped because the "details started to fall apart" but because of "disturbing allegations" regarding the original team. The first thing I thought was some sort of sexual abuse. But then I have found an article (here) and a news report (here) that make it clear that the team still loves their coach. I assume they wouldn't do so if abuse had occured.

Maybe one player claimed abuse and that is all it took? That would be unfortunate. I've seen a coach get falsely accused of this and have his soccer career ruined because of it.
jeffk
AG
This is the quote from your article in the OP:

Quote:

Sources say Skydance and the producers received disturbing allegations surrounding aspects of the true story on which the drama was based. That investigation led Skydance and the producers to pull the plug, according to sources.

I don't read that as saying that the team or the coach did something scandalous.
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

This is the quote from your article in the OP:

Quote:

Sources say Skydance and the producers received disturbing allegations surrounding aspects of the true story on which the drama was based. That investigation led Skydance and the producers to pull the plug, according to sources.

I don't read that as saying that the team or the coach did something scandalous.
The list of things that I would be categorized as "disturbing" is not very long. Especially disturbing enough for McConaughey to drop out and for the movie to be scrapped.
jeffk
AG
Until we know more details, it's pretty fruitless to try to figure out what it was.
aTmAg
AG
jeffk said:

Until we know more details, it's pretty fruitless to try to figure out what it was.
I was asking this board to see if you guys knew any details. You guys seem to know stuff.
deadbq03
AG
aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

I was asking this board to see if you guys knew any details. You guys seem to know stuff.
What's the point of TexAgs if we can't have baseless speculation?
jeffk
AG
aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

Someone came and dropped off some good background info and you pretty much dismissed it and said instead it was probably a lone abuse allegation.
aTmAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

aTmAg said:

jeffk said:

What's the point of TexAgs if we can't have baseless speculation?
I wasn't asking for baseless speculation. Maybe somebody here coaches/works for sting. Maybe somebody here knows a player or the coach. Something like that.
aTmAg
AG
That wasn't good background info at all. It looked more baseless than anything else in this thread.
aTmAg
AG
I found an article about the coach responding to movie being scrapped.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/dallas-sting-coach-responds-to-hollywood-backing-out-of-movie/287-0af7e015-aa78-464f-9f2e-f91e007fb245

In short, he has no idea.

Edit:
Quote:

allegations were not criminal in nature. But that a third party investigating the allegations would be reaching out to him for additional information.

"I'll be anxious to talk to them," Kinder told the producer on the phone.

"Any idea what that would be," I asked him after the phone call.

"I have no clue. I have no clue," he said. "Can't be anything significant because there isn't anything significant in my life that I can think of."

But now, two weeks after that phone call, Skydance and McConaughey decided to pull out of the project just weeks ahead of the beginning of filming scheduled for next month in Louisiana, as first reported by the Hollywood Reporter. Skydance has not yet responded to WFAA's request for additional clarification of the "allegations of misconduct." Kinder says he doesn't know the specifics either.

Well that rules out any sort of abuse. That's a good thing.
Anchorhold
jeffk said:

Sting soccer movie? Fields of Gold!
like turn it gold game tonight?
Rudyjax
AG
I'm thinking China had something to do with it.

I love a feel good sports movie. And as a parent of a soccer players, this has high interest to me.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Matthew McConaughey soccer film axed amid claim of sexual misconduct by real life coach | Daily Mail Online
jeffk
AG
So it actually was an allegation of the coach doing something untoward.
swc93
AG
They talked about it on the Ticket in DFW and said the reason was some of the women on the team didn't approve of how Hollywood was changing the story and characters to make it fit a more socially diverse re-telling. Racial and sexual orientation were both mentioned as changes the women on the Sting team would not sign off on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.