******BTHO Georgia******

5,840 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mullokmotx
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are somehow nearing the halfway point of the Aggie Soccer season, which means we can't slow the forward march of time also it's time for conference play.

A&M hosts Georgia in their annual Turn it Gold Match on Friday at 7PM. The Friday placement means that it's the only Aggie Soccer game of the weekend. You can watch on SEC+ or stream live audio on the 12th Man website.

Georgia completed their non-conference play with a 6-2 record. After notching a 4-0 win against Georgia Southern, the Bulldogs lost their next two games to a pair of ACC foes in #7 Florida State (1-3) and Wake Forest (0-1). They then rattled off 5 straight shutout wins against the likes of College of Charleston (4-0), Georgia State (3-0), Kennesaw State (7-0), North Florida (1-0), and USF (2-0).

Georgia is in year one of the Keidane McAlpine era. During the offseason, Georgia poached a top coach, and the 2021 Pac 12 coach of the year, from USC. It was a big get for the Bulldogs, who have traditionally been mediocre in the sport.

It's hard to gauge where Georgia stands just by looking at the beatdowns they've levied on a stretch of underwhelming opponents. Still, since dropping two games against ranked opponents, they've done what they were supposed to do against lesser talent and their string of clean sheets is to be commended.

Texas A&M is 7-1 all-time against Georgia, with all 8 matches occurring since A&M joined the SEC in 2012. The Aggies played the Bulldogs for 7 consecutive seasons from 2012-2018, but somehow haven't faced them since that 2018 season. The Ags won that last match in College Station 2-0.

Georgia should be a good first test for A&M in conference play, but they are certainly beatable. Georgia has proved that they can score if given the opportunity. Despite the Bulldogs' string of shutouts, I think A&M will have opportunities to put the ball on frame and net a couple of goals. The South Alabama game gave us (both the team and the fans) some confidence heading into this match, but unlike that game we don't need style points, we just need to come out with a win. Still, I think the defense stays solid, limiting UGA's opportunities and our emboldened attack nets a couple in a 2-0 win.
CDub06
AG
Turn it Gold Info:

I linked it above, but obviously this is an annual event that is close to the hearts of those associated with Aggie Soccer.

PARTICIPATE -
Donate:
Just a small donation will go a long way to helping the team meet our goal. We are beyond grateful for all contributions made through the Aggie Soccer fundraising page. To that end, any supporter who gives:
  • $100 donation earns a soccer ball signed by the 2022 Fightin' Texas Aggie Soccer team

Bid:
You can also bid on game worn jerseys from last years match HERE

At The Game:
Along with donating using the fundraising page, you can purchase an EXCLUSIVE Aggie Soccer Turn it Gold Soccer Replica Jersey for just $15 at the match.
Expert Analysis
AG
No idea they had hired him. That is a huge hire.
We played USC in 2016 on their way to the national championship. We tied 0-0 and lost in PKs in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney.

I know one thing for sure this game, there wont be PKs to decide the winner.

I like our chances if we can maintain the improved passing we have had the past couple games.
mullokmotx
AG
We played against his Southern Cal team in the 2nd round and lost 2-0. He brought his team here in 2017 and they lost to baylor on PKs in the 2nd round
Expert Analysis
AG
I went back and looked. I had forgot we played @USC in 2019 as well in second round, we lost 2-1.

This Georgia team does not have the talent he had at USC. Should be a battle.
jessexy
AG
USC plays in something akin to a City Park. your kids play in better fields than what this high-dollar private university plays in. The soccer "stadium" is literally on the backside of a Target shopping center and it's blocks away from the other athletic facilities that are on campus. They were "upgraded" AFTER winning a NCAA national championship recently too.

If any of you have ever played at the Sting complex in Richardson, TX with the apartments on one side and the grocery store dumpster on the other, this is what playing at USC feels like. it's no wonder he left for UGA the first chance he got.
Diego
AG
jessexy said:

USC plays in something akin to a City Park. your kids play in better fields than what this high-dollar private university plays in. The soccer "stadium" is literally on the backside of a Target shopping center and it's blocks away from the other athletic facilities that are on campus. They were "upgraded" AFTER winning a NCAA national championship recently too.

If any of you have ever played at the Sting complex in Richardson, TX with the apartments on one side and the grocery store dumpster on the other, this is what playing at USC feels like. it's no wonder he left for UGA the first chance he got.
But it is always 72 degrees, blue sky and surrounded by palm trees.
tamufan
Just a couple somewhat random comments.

1. We once played in a conference where a certain other texas school hired a coach with a national title championship in his recent past. Petrucelli did raise the level of play at ut, I guess, but won no national titles there and did not have a winning record against us.

2. I wonder how many national titles USC would have won if they had a nice stadium/field.
taylorswift13
AG
First soccer game I will attend since graduating in 2020! I can't wait!! BTHO GEORGIA
TCWave
UGA's strengths include
1. Midfield - they attack the midfield well with more of a physical, 1st to ball attack
2. Stryker - they have two that love to take 1 v 1's, spin and shoot. Can be dangerous but Centerback strength will help negate thier advantage
3. Set pieces - look for their tall, holding mid to set up off the back post. She has several header - goals this season. Tough, physical presence.

We set up well against this team. Look for us to establish our control game early and run them hard (think the middle 2/3s of TCU game)..
And........ #BTHOuga.......emphasis on those puppies
CDub06
AG
Good stuff
mullokmotx
AG
Chris Henderson of All White Kit tweeted this preview:

"Both of these sides have looked impressive in matches they should be winning but are looking for a true statement win. An upset in College Station would be about as big a statement as they come for Keidane McAlpine's Georgia."
CDub06
AG
Another promotion for tonight btw:

A&M FOOTBALL FREE FRIDAY:
Bring your Sept. 17 Aggie football ticket to the Ellis Field ticket window for FREE admission.
blake2003
AG
Aggies win 3-1. Confetti will rain from the heavens!
MookieBlaylock
AG
The Gold Jersey bidding got too rich for my blood- all i wanted was my #19 and now its going for $2751

#12 in second place at $601
jkag89
Early goal for Georgia.
Gap
AG
Whatever Calzada did in the corner that gave Georgia a throw in was at the core of that easy goal.

Just too easy on an opportunity Georgia should never have had.
Gap
AG
Great corner by the Ags

Tied at 1-1
Gap
AG
We are just giving goals away. Way too easy.

Kind of concerning.
jkag89
Uga 2 - A&M 1
jkag89
The Aggies goal
MookieBlaylock
AG
Still terrible communication by Smith and Sample
And toss in Caldwell
Maile isn't long for this one
Ags-R-Better
That was some poor keeper play on that last goal. She looked lost..

Side note: anyone know what they are building behind the south scoreboard? Looked it up but couldn't find anything.
MookieBlaylock
AG
This ref sweating like he was on the beer
Needs to order a larger size uniform and
Bit tight
deh40
AG
New indoor track facility
MookieBlaylock
AG
How does Smith keep getting playing time?
jkag89
GGGOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uga 2 - A&M 2

DeangeloVickers
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

There you go! I guess that's why. (I was getting super frustrated at her up to that point)
Gap
AG
What is the rule on that? The ref called interference on himself and awarded Georgia the ball after a pass hit him.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Gap said:

What is the rule on that? The ref called interference on himself and awarded Georgia the ball after a pass hit him.

Supposed to be team who last possessed gets it. He was wrong.
CDub06
AG
So I was wrong in my prognostication. I used to be good at these.
jneerman
AG
Cameras just showed WBB players Sahara Jones and Kay Kay Green at the game. Nice to them supporting the team.
MookieBlaylock
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

MookieBlaylock said:

There you go! I guess that's why. (I was getting super frustrated at her up to that point)

I was about to say that is the worst forward combo we have and they score
DeangeloVickers
AG
Laney moving better. If we can get her going we can make a run.
jkag89
Half: Uga 2 - A&M 2
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.