******BTHO Illinois******

4,280 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie*_86
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Soccer is on the road this weekend. They begin with a match in Champaign, Illinois against the Illinois Fighting Illini on Thursday. Kickoff is set for 7PM and admission for the game is free if you happen to be in the Urbana-Champaign area. The game will be broadcast on Big Ten+ and, as always, you can listen to the sweet stylings of David Ellis on the live audio feed.

The Aggies have a bit of history with Illinois. They are 2-1 against the Illini all-time, with the most recent match occurring in 2016. The Ags won that one 2-0.

Illinois had a rough 2021 season. They did register a 4-0 win against rival Missouri in the opener, but then faltered to a 5-11-1 regular season record and a dismal 1-8-1 Big Ten record.

This season is looking a little better as they've begun the season 3-1, with wins over Illinois State (1-0), Toledo (4-1), and #17 Butler (1-0). They then got pounded in South Bend on Sunday with a 0-4 loss to Notre Dame. That game was an absolute beating as Illini goalkeeper Julia Cili registered a silly 13 total saves in the match.

Illinois put three players on the Big Ten's players to watch list, all seniors. This includes defender Ashley Cathro, defender Kendra Pasquale, and midfielder Eileen Murphy. You should see those three on the field nearly the entire match. Lia Howard is a notable freshman. The midfielder was named the Gatorade New York Player of the Year.

As far as stats go, no one player jumps off the sheet. Illinois six goals on the season have come from six different players.

Illinois has been coached by Janet Rayfield since 2002 and she's kind of become a lifer for the squad. Illinois was a top team in the Big Ten in the early 2000s, but by the 2010s they had fallen to the middle of the pack. They've been even worse than that in recent years and haven't made the NCAA Tournament since 2013.

I'm not too sure what to expect from Illinois. They registered a confidence building victory over highly ranked Butler, only to be humbled by an always stout Notre Dame just a few days later. This will be another increase in difficulty as Illinois should be a step up from New Mexico state, especially on the road. I contended that we were looking for a multi-goal win last game. In this one, a simple win will be enough to celebrate (by popping bottles in Champaign).
blake2003
AG
I'm going to pay for a month pass for Big 10+ if anyone in Conroe wants to come over and watch the games.

I predict a 2-1 win for the Aggies.
CDub06
AG
Unfortunately I will not be in Conroe. The free admission was too good a deal to pass up.
Aston94
AG
CDub06 said:

Unfortunately I will not be in Conroe. The free admission was too good a deal to pass up.
Nice, you better yell loud for all of us!!!
jeffk
AG
Remember that the locals use the French pronunciation of the state's name.
mullokmotx
AG
At the radio show tonight Dave Ellis and G said the team was flying into Indianapolis tomorrow, taking a bus to Columbus Friday, and then flying back through Charlotte. They were practicing tonight after all the rain today.
G confirmed that Lauren Geczik would not play this season. It had been reported on this forum before, but I had not heard it stated from someone with the program. G stated it when they were talking about how well Macy Matula had been playing down the left side.
kbarj
AG
I live in Champaign and planned to go to this game, but my son's high school soccer game got changed to an away game. If we get back in time, I plan to walk or bike over (we live close) to catch the game. If I go, would there be any interest in me posting pictures of the game here?

Note: First time on this board. My interest in soccer started this year when my son decided to get into it.
Bill '77
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Yes, to pictures!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
kbarj
AG
Any particular players? Numbers would be helpful if you do.

Note...since it's a night game, my 17 year old DSLR might not do too well. But I will try. I got it when my oldest (now in his 30s) was in high school. Who knew I'd have a 14 year old now.
Bill '77
Anchorhold
We'll take any pictures you get, even with your kid in a maroon shirt. Also, temperature and wind conditions every few minutes. It'll be nice to have an aggie's perspective on that.
CDub06
AG
Here's your first picture.

taylorswift13
AG
BTHO ILLINOIS WHAT THE HELL IS AN ILLINI
CDub06
AG
We out here.
taylorswift13
AG
Have fun! Let's hope you're the good luck charm
Expert Analysis
AG
any way to watch the game other than purchasing big10+? Assume its like espn+
SEN+ is so much better. These new TV deals are putting more stuff on extra pay channels
taylorswift13
AG
Anyone wanna give updates for us poors and us people not living in the Midwest
Expert Analysis
AG
Ags score. Laneys shot gets saved but McDonald cleans it up 1-0
Anchorhold
taylorswift13
AG
YESSS! Thanks for the update
jkag89
jkag89
Halftime: Aggies 1 - Illini 0
mullokmotx
AG
Nice run by McDonald to get the rebound while being tackled around the shoulders. With about 14 minutes left Russell had the ball and got bowled over from behind, no call. I don't think Illinois has touched the ball in the box.
taylorswift13
AG
McDonald is on a hot streak! Unlike the McDonalds near my apt who rarely serves food hot
kbarj
AG
I got here a little late. Score was already 1-0. Aggies look good on the field. They are the stronger team. Better ball movement and defense.

Pictures coming later. No promises on quality.

And as for the weather report… 79F, no breeze, a little humid, but nice.
Bill '77
Anchorhold
Is the field perimeter really as dark as it looks on TV?
mullokmotx
AG
We played 7 subs in the first half.
Anchorhold
GET BACK ON OFFENSE
mullokmotx
AG
Seems like the calls are going against us. Hayes got dragged down by the arm and no card.
Mir San Mir
AG
I am not sure the AR knows what an offside call is. Three questionable calls.
CDub06
AG
Anchorhold said:

Is the field perimeter really as dark as it looks on TV?

Yes, it's dark dark out here.
Anchorhold
VICTORY!!!!!!!!!
Mir San Mir
AG
Thanks Anchorhold for the login!
Gap
AG
Road win!
mullokmotx
AG
McDonald got tackled around the shoulders again with 30 seconds left down in the corner. Calzada took a bow after she kicked the ball out of bounds with 3 seconds left. What a game by Katie Smith! Called 16 fouls on us; 7 on them. 7 offsides on us. Glad the ref didn't see the ball hit Russell's hand.
Anchorhold
Should work Sunday too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.