Arsenal 2022-2023 Thread

205,816 Views | 4689 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by wangus12
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2021-2022 is now OVER!

Let's do this.
chjoak
AG
On to the summer business...

Tammy looking even less likely.

Ag Since 83
AG
Page 1 let's go
wangus12
AG
Goal is to definitely take the next step. Hope we get another good summer of transfers and make the move. Young stars have to also take that next step as well.
AggieRob93
AG
wangus12 said:

Goal is to definitely take the next step. Hope we get another good summer of transfers and make the move. Young stars and coaching staff have to also take that next step as well.

Added a bit there...
Strangely Attractive
AG
I've been impressed with the recruitment the last couple of summers, hopefully that continues as this one will be crazy important. Imagine adding a good striker and left sided 8 to this team. (Plus all the others we need to get).
chjoak
AG

Also, Charles Watts is claiming that Osimhen's agent flew to London last week to meet with Arsenal.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Thanks for always sharing the more credible news within the transfer mess. It is appreciated.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
chjoak
AG
Seeing claims that our #1 ST short list is Jesus, Osimhen & Richarlison not necessarily in that order.
wangus12
AG
chjoak said:

Seeing claims that our #1 ST short list is Jesus, Osimhen & Richarlison not necessarily in that order.

That dude seems to be one of whiniest most self-centered players I've ever watched
rebag00
AG
Page 1! Current odds of finishing in the top 4 are 7/4.

I doubt we get The Jesus. The tabs are trying to pit us against almost everyone else out there with a pulse for this guy. I know it drives clicks/views but its annoying.
chjoak
AG
Agreed. I can see why Arteta would like his skillset but I don't really like him as a person. Have to admit that I am very curious what he may be capable of on a good team.

Near impossible to pull off but I would be ecstatic with a Pepe + Torreira + 20-30m for Osimhen. Don't see us paying the 90-110m they want for Osimhen but they wanted Pepe when we got him and With Fabian & Insigne leaving they could use a CM and a W.

Pair Osimhen with Hlozek and watch out. If Osimhen is successful he likely bolts for Barca, Real or PSG in a couple years by which point Balogun should be more than ready to pair with Hlozek.
chjoak
AG
I think we are the front runner for Jesus. Most of this is agent and/or City trying to drive up the price. I think the only way we don't land him is if he gets the opportunity to be the #1 for a CL side.
chjoak
AG
wangus12
AG
wangus12
AG
chjoak said:

Pretty sure the PL has approved the sale so I doubt this would happen
chjoak
AG
Also has to be approved by Portuguese govt because Abramovich has a Portuguese passport. In all likelihood everything goes through fine but they have 1 week and there are hurdles.
wangus12
AG
chjoak
AG
Not sure how I feel about that. I like Eddie as a backup option and I like that we save some transfer cash but I worry that our primary target will remain Jesus and we will end up with 2 ST that are too similar. We need a physical presence up top. Part of the reason that Newcastle took us to the woodshed was that Eddie was completely ineffective. The CBs bodied him up and he was unable to adjust or hold the ball up field. A bigger/stronger ST doesn't fix the issues we had with their press but it does change our ability to retain possession in the opponents half and relieve pressure on our defense.
wangus12
AG
I agree. I'm not down on resigning him, but it doesn't necessarily solve our issues. He did score 5 goals in 7 matches to end the season in what has been the only extended run he's had in the squad.

chjoak
AG
Yes but 2-3 of those goals were more opportunistic vs skill.

Like I said, I don't really have an issue re-signing him but I really don't want to see an Eddie/Jesus rotation next season.
PJYoung
Strangely Attractive
AG
I think there have been some good pros that made their living on opportunistic goals. It's about make the runs with the right timing and being there to score, although I agree with you in that you like to see them score in multiple ways. But in 5 a side practice, supposedly he's always the first picked because he's a natural scorer.

Also, I think Eddie has the chance to bulk up a bit and become more of a physical presence. There were even times this year I thought he looked more physical than I had seen him in the past.

I do think it's likely he's our 2nd choice striker this year, then maybe we add another striker next year and sell Eddie or keep him for cup games. Just don't see splashing big money on 2 strikers this year.
chjoak
AG
If he left we wouldn't have the choice but to splash on 2 or play Balogun as the #2 when he likely isn't ready.

I think Eddie can be a very capable player for us. For now he is a squaddie and maybe he becomes more. We will see. My concern is not keeping him around. I think there are some definite benefits to re-signing him. My concern is a lack of variety if we enter the season with Jesus & Eddie as our STs. That leaves us with 2 pressing ST with speed but no aerial threat and limited holdup play. My preference if we re-sign Eddie would be that we pass on Jesus (atleast for now) and focus our attention on guys like Lukaku, Schick, Haller, Jimenez, Abraham, DCL, Morata, Weghorst, Thuram, Scamacca, etc... Many of those are not realistic and some likely aren't good enough but what they all have in common is height, strength & aerial ability.
Strangely Attractive
AG
Yes I agree. Wanted Abraham or DCL, but Abraham deal looks tricky/pricey, and DCL has the injury history. I kind of would like to see what a healthy DCL could do at Arsenal.
chjoak
AG
Abraham is highly unlikely because Chelsea (after the owner switch) could simply step in a buy him back and Jose really doesn't wanna let him go.

DCL is interesting. Hasn't done a ton this season due to injury but watching him in our last match actually interested me a good deal. DCL/Eddie wouldn't necessarily be as a sexy a combo but it would fit my concepts above.

If you go look at DCL's past numbers, he doesn't really have an injury history. Prior to this season...

Season - App - Starts - Min
20-21 ---- 33 ----- 32 -- 2871
19-20 ---- 36 ----- 30 -- 2626
18-19 ---- 35 ----- 19 -- 1784
17-18 ---- 32 ----- 18 -- 1882
Teacher_Ag
AG
Page Juan. COYG.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
It's not an exciting signing but I think it will end up being a positive one. He'll probably be our starter during cup/Europa matches and hopefully that pays off and we can sell him on.

I hate to think about how many games our forward position cost us and how EN would have helped us win one or two of those matches. Arteta needs to have a little more faith in people and not expect perfection.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
wangus12
AG
Rumor the deal 5 years/100k per week. Not sure I like paying Eddie that much. Its gonna set a precedent with these younger players. We've go to renew Saka, Martinelli and Saliba as well and all of them are more deserving than Nketiah.
Ag Since 83
AG
Gunnerblog was saying on the Arsecast he heard from some people what they thought Eddie would get in wages on the open market since there was no transfer fee (well, a small one from a tribunal if he goes to an English club) and he was floored.

Rolling that missing fee into wages is perfectly logical, and never creates a situation where you can't sell a player *cough* Kolasinac *cough*

As for Eddie the player, I don't think he has the talent to be a lead striker at a club like Arsenal but the pace and positioning he showed the last several weeks was badly missed before he entered the lineup. I don't ever want the club to rely on him game in and game out for an extending period but he's the kind of striker who can be in the right place when someone like Odegaard looks for him
wangus12
AG
Charles Watts thinks Arsenal may still go after two FWs even if Nketiah is resigned.
chjoak
AG
Jesus, Eddie and a young target ST wouldnt be terrible
chjoak
AG

From what I understand the guy tweeting is the City equivalent of Charles Watts. Poking around a bit and Zinchenko has been a CM everywhere except City including for Ukraine. Could be a more mobile Xhaka that can legit fill in at LB in a pinch.
Strangely Attractive
AG
I don't know if this would happen but there's a lot of rumor around Gnabry currently, and the fee wouldn't be that huge because he only has 1 year left on his contract I believe.

Usually a LW but I've heard it in the past that he can play and prefers to play Striker. Gnabry, Jesus, and Eddie could be an interesting combo with lots of flexibility, but still doesn't give us that big target man type Striker I would like to see.
agdoc2001
AG
Bayern want 30+ million now, I don't think we have the funds to swing it this year (unless someone is silly enough to pay that much for pepe). Maybe pre-negotiate wages and pick him up in 2023 on a free?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Last Page
Page 1 of 134

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.