U15 soccer hiatus

2,341 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by El Capitan
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is a u15 and in 8th grade. Both her leagues are on hiatus until March when high school soccer ends.

She's going to her normal practice one day a week, skills another day. The team is only practicing 1 day per week because 75% of the team are playing for their highschool.

She staying in shape playing middle school bball and then track where she runs the middle distances.

Anyhow, any recommendations of what she can do to stay in game shape?
Diego
AG
When Mia Hamm was in high school, she said that she would take two months off from soccer during the winter and the summer each. She said that it helped her body recover and enabled her to love the game more.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Is she playing basketball? Going to run track? If so, I'd focus on those with little technical sessions here and there.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
Yep. She's playing middle school basketball and running middle distance in track. 400/800, 4x400.
TXAggie2011
AG
If they're not playing games for awhile, then she doesn't really need to be in "game shape." That'll come back quickly to a 15 year old closer to the re-start of their season.
PatAg
AG
We always played Indoor Soccer in this time frame
MookieBlaylock
AG
Swimming is an easy sport to pick up
Rudyjax
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

If they're not playing games for awhile, then she doesn't really need to be in "game shape." That'll come back quickly to a 15 year old closer to the re-start of their season.

75% of competition and her teammates will be in game shape from playing high school soccer.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

With a random team or pick up?
OregonAggie
AG
Aye Davanita said:

PatAg said:

I did the same thing and it was a mix of kids I knew and randomness. Great way to stay in shape!
jeffk
AG
Yeah, hoops, indoor/futsal, swimming, track & field are all good suggestions.
fig96
AG
I feel like middle distance track shape and soccer game playing shape should be pretty equivalent.
PatAg
AG
Aye Davanita said:

PatAg said:

It would either be most of the team, or a mix of a few teams for the players that wanted to play
HTownAg98
Anything that helps work other muscle groups that aren't normally used during soccer season are great at preventing injury.
bigjag19
AG
Aye Davanita said:

TXAggie2011 said:

75% of competition and her teammates will be in game shape from playing high school soccer.

For the ones on JV they really won't. Competition is a major step down, if not 2 or 3. Many games will be laughably bad.
Aston94
AG
Most club/select teams my daughters were a part of played winter indoor soccer. It is great conditioning and good for footskills.
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

Most club/select teams my daughters were a part of played winter indoor soccer. It is great conditioning and good for footskills.
Our coach is a big believer in not burning the kids out. He feels high school soccer is enough and doesn't have enough girls for an indoor team. There are there are 14 in 9th and 5 in 8th.

I'm thinking of trying to get the 5 to play in a few 4v4 tourneys .

Aston94
AG
It's tough when you are an 8th grader with mainly high school players. 4 v 4 is good, or if you have an indoor place nearby some of the teams are always looking for an extra player or two to sub.
NJ75AGfdt
Have you and she considered her refereeing? She could stay soccer sharp and see the game from a different POV. Some of the better linesmen I worked with were players.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
PatAg
AG
Aye Davanita said:

Aston94 said:

Our coach is a big believer in not burning the kids out. He feels high school soccer is enough and doesn't have enough girls for an indoor team. There are there are 14 in 9th and 5 in 8th.

I don't feel that playing indoor soccer would burn players out in any way. It's just fun
If anything it's a nice break from all the less enjoyable aspects of outdoor soccer practicing
Rudyjax
AG
NJ75AGfdt said:

Have you and she considered her refereeing? She could stay soccer sharp and see the game from a different POV. Some of the better linesmen I worked with were players.

Yeah. She's refereeing when leagues start back in January.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Aye Davanita said:

Aston94 said:

I don't feel that playing indoor soccer would burn players out in any way. It's just fun
If anything it's a nice break from all the less enjoyable aspects of outdoor soccer practicing

He wants them to focus on their high school. Not much I can do to convince him and the last few times we played they didn't get much out of it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Refereeing, basketball and track seems plenty enough to keep her level of fitness up
Rudyjax
AG
Had a good talk with her skills coach, former mls player.

He said she'll come out ahead after a game or two since a lot of those girls will be worn down.
bbry81
This thread made me laugh. Club coach says take some time off it's good break. Parent says no that can't be right let's do more. Other girls will still be in shape. Other poster jv isn't good they won't be in better shape. skills coach who I am guessing is extra says it's fine so now parent says ok we can take time off.

As a club soccer player parent and high school coach I understand every part of it. It's the great high school/club relationship
Rudyjax
AG
bbry81 said:

This thread made me laugh. Club coach says take some time off it's good break. Parent says no that can't be right let's do more. Other girls will still be in shape. Other poster jv isn't good they won't be in better shape. skills coach who I am guessing is extra says it's fine so now parent says ok we can take time off.

As a club soccer player parent and high school coach I understand every part of it. It's the great high school/club relationship
I hear what you're saying but club coach never said that. He was giving the high school players the break from practice and only practicing with the team 1 day a week, and mostly a light practice. He wanted the 8th graders to practice the additional day with the 08's, but since my daughter is playing MS sports, it's on the same night.

He never said it was good for the 8th graders to have a break during the high school season.

El Capitan
AG
Futsal
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.