USMNT-----What did we learn this summer?

3,497 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think the summer could have gone better for Berhalter and his squad(s) over the last few months. Got a ton of young guys experience, got the older players a ton of confidence, and we beat El Tri in 2 Cup finals. Only disappointment was not qualifying for Olympics, but having the groups around for Nations League and Gold Cup may have been better in long run. So, where are we now with this squad going into WCQ and hopefully a successful run in Qatar in 2022?

My initial thoughts after the Nations League and the Gold Cup are:

1. I will no longer entertain Gregg Berhalter blasting. He has earned the right to lead this club and has earned my respect in how he has done it. Try out new players? Yep. Give veterans a second chance? Yep. Try and create an identity? Yep. Be flexible with tactics given opponent? Yep. He answered his critics this summer and came out with two trophies, all while staying dedicated to building a depth of roster for the club moving forward. He has earned deference and I will give him that through WCQ. There seems to be a good bond with him and the guys, they all genuinely seem to like playing for the US, and it shows in their effort on the pitch.

2. We have good depth in the Central defense. Miles Robinson and James Sands were the two most pleasant surprises for me this summer. Their play in the central defense throughout the Gold Cup was flat out phenomenal. We gave up 1 goal in the entire Gold Cup, in the one match where we scored 6 v. Martinique. Our offense struggled at times, but these two were rock solid all Gold Cup, and I am so happy we have this kind of depth in the position now.

3. Kellyn Acosta should be on the roster for every qualifier. I don't know if any player improved their stock as much in the summer than Kellyn. His play was really, really strong in the 6 CDM position. His passing is sometimes a bit loose for me, but his defensive acumen really helped solidify the young Gold Cup squad. I see his role being as a sub coming in to help lock down a 1 goal lead for the last 20 minutes of a tough WCQ. Sitting beside a tiring Tyler Adams, or making the occasional start in that role given Tyler's injury history. We needed depth at the spot behind Tyler, and Kellyn provided that this summer.

4. Still have questions at the Forward spot. No one stepped up and really laid claim to that forward position this summer. Sargent, Dike, Hoppe, Zardes and Giochini all had their moments, but we don't have a clear starter there yet. Dike is not ready, yet, but I do like his future. Sargent has a lot of potential too, but needs to step into that larger role, more important role. I really like Hoppe, but I think his position is out on the more crowded wing.

5. Zardes deserves consideration for WCQ roster spot. There, I said it. I didn't think that I would ever say that, but of all the central forwards who played over the summer he had the most impact on games. He didn't score much, and his finishing is still a great concern, but you cannot question his work rate or involvement and he did impress me.

6. Brendan Aaronson is a star in the making. I really enjoyed watching him play this summer, he a Gio Reyna have great energy on the wings, I really think we are in a good spot on the wings with Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, Hoppe, Giochini and Arriola.

7. We have depth! Loved watching all the young players play this summer, from Busio to Vines to Robinson to McKenzie to Dike to Hoppe to Giochini to Sands and on and on, we have really got a great deal of young depth that will serve us well through WCQ and on through the WC, and should all be really primed for a legit run in the 2026 WC here in the US.

8. We have us a legit GK battle. Steffan better go find some playing time, because Horvath and Turner showed their abilities this summer. Turner might be the leader for me right now, I was very impressed with his footskills, especially against Mexico where he had to be a release valve all night.

9. Current Starting XI. GK-Turner, FB-Dest and Cannon, CD-Brooks and Miles Robinson, Midfield-Adams, McKennie, Mussah, Wings- Pulisic and Reyna, Forward-Zardes

Was a great summer for the USMNT, let's bring on the WCQ!!!!
jeffk
AG
Pretty much agree on all counts. GB seems to have improved on his game management and our players play hard for him.

I'll add that Shaq Moore impressed me as well.
Rudyjax
AG
Great stuff! I'd still have Sargent as 1, but Zardes is a valuable member of the team and should get a game or two.

Zardes is the Kellen Mond of US Soccer.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Thanks and agreed.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
34blast
Exciting team, love it.

Zardes has a great work rate, but watching the games he seems to never win any 50/50 balls or long passes. Good effort, but wish he could win a few more of those. I don't know if there is anyone on US any better, but would be nice if there was and he came in off the bench.
boogieman
AG
Well written. Agreed
akm91
AG
Zardes holds up the ball much better when played to his feet than trying to win headers. His first touch has definitely improved.

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Way early Sept. WCQ roster predictions:

Quote:

GOALKEEPERS

1) Zack Steffen
2) Matthew Turner
3) Ethan Horvath

DEFENDERS
4) Sergino Dest
5) Reggie Cannon
6) Antonee Robinson
7) Sam Vines
8) John Brooks
9) Miles Robinson
10) Mark McKenzie
11) Chris Richards
12) Matt Miazga

MIDFIELDERS

13) Tyler Adams
14) Kellyn Acosta
15) Weston McKennie
16) Yunus Musah (Cristian Roldan or Gianluca Busio)
17) Eryk Williamson
18) Sebastian Lletget
19) Brenden Aaronson

ATTACKERS

20) Christian Pulisic
21) Giovani Reyna
22) Tim Weah
23) Matthew Hoppe
24) Josh Sargent
25) Jordan Pefok
26) Gyasi Zardes

Way early Sept WCQ Roster Prediction

jay07ag
AG
I learned that Miles Robinson is possibly our future #1 CB.
I learned that Matthew Hoppe is a DAWG, and I want him on every USMNT squad going forward.
I learned that Matt Turner is probably the best shot stopper we have, but his technical ability with his feet will keep him out of our net with the A-Squad for now.
I learned that Busio could be REALLY good, but needs to hit the weight room a bit for the next 2-3 years.
I learned that Jackson Yueill doesn't need to come within 100 miles of this squad from here to eternity.
I learned that Gyasi Zardes has improved his hold up ability, and I'm hoping Dike can do the same - and if he can, he will be our future #9.
I learned that these players seem to play really hard for Gregg and each other, and that's always a good thing.
And lastly, I learned that this squad could be damn good over the next 8-10 years!
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Does anyone else think that Busio is better as a #6?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
AG
He maybe eventually, but he hemorrhages possession too frequently to be used there in games that matter.
jay07ag
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Does anyone else think that Busio is better as a #6?

I think his future is at the 6 when he becomes a little more physical. For now, I think he's better off going box to box.
Dre_00
Agree with all of this. That said...

The uniqueness that is CONCACAF WC qualifying will be a completely different challenge. It's going to be a slog and something that no US team has experienced before and certainly not the current team of youngsters. 3 games every month till the winter break built into what will be a crowded club season. If you thought CONCACAF was CONCACAFy before then I expect the Octagonal will bring levels of CONCACAF that people had only heard about in legend but never imagined could actually exist. 8 teams? 14 games each? Crammed into a 6 month calendar? The CONCACAF storm coming our way is going to make that storm from The Day After Tomorrow look like a summer breeze.

A strong start has always been important but will be absolutely critical this time around based on the challenging qualifying format and the memories of 2018. If things have gone pear shaped after the first 3 games, then pretty much none of what happened this summer will matter.
KCup17
AG
I learned that the USMNT has a son and his name is Mexico,
akm91
AG
Totally agreed with the slogfest of this WCQ cycle. I do have tremendous faith that Berhalter will put the US in the best possible position, from a logistics standpoint. I think the travel/logistics is really going to be challenging especially many of our players are Europe based. I just don't see many of them playing down in Honduras and then having to hop back across the Atlantic. I'm wondering if for the 1st window, he decides that 3rd game vs Honduras to be mostly filled by MLS players which allows the key European players to fly back after the home game vs Canada.

I also think he's identified enough depth with CONCACAF experience (Nations League and Gold Cup) to allow us to maximize the individual windows.

GK - 3 proven (Horvath, Steffen, Turner)
FB - 6 proven (Bello, Dest, Cannon, Moore, Robinson, Vines)
CB - 4 proven (Brooks, McKenzie, Robinson, Sands) - Zimmerman:pending injury
MF - 7 proven (Acosta, Adams, Busio, Lleget, McKennie, Roldan, Williamson) - Musah:pending injury
Attackers - 11 (Aaronson, Arriola, Dike, Gioacchini, Hoppe, Pefok, Pulisic, Reyna, Sargent, Weah, Zardes)

Rudyjax
AG
Agreed. Our Gold Cup team has shown they can qualify for the World Cup.
akm91
AG
We learned Hoppe is hilarious!

heddleston
AG
I like Hoppe. He was CONCACAFing the hell out of Mexico the other night. Just being a punk and getting under their skin all game.

Dre_00
I want him to start every WC qualifying road game. I don't care what position he plays. Just as long as he's just going full ****housery. I want to see it all. Faking injuries. Subtle shoves while the ref isn't looking. All of it.
tysker
AG
I dunno man. being more annoying in the face than Clint? Hoppe has the raw talent but is he willing to take it to next level during WCQ
KCup17
AG
This is the (concacaf) way.
Wrighty
AG
heddleston said:

I like Hoppe. He was CONCACAFing the hell out of Mexico the other night. Just being a punk and getting under their skin all game.

I hate that behavior. If he was on my team I'd sub him off and tell him off.
jeffk
AG
Glad you don't manage the USMNT or any of the teams I support then.
jeffk
AG
Also, I'll assume you would have benched Johnny Manziel too then?
heddleston
AG
He might could be, but not in magic hilarious Deuce face, think more like fraternity bro bad guy in a movie. Just a way more punchable face
Rudyjax
AG
Hoppe is the man. I hope he goes somewhere good.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

After the game he most likely makes sure to hand out the participation awards.
Wrighty
AG
jeffk said:

The showboating and swagger is great.

The diving and acting hurt is awful.
heddleston
AG
I dont love that aspect, but we either CONCACAF or get CONCACAFed. After 2018 I choose that we CONCACAF.
awall11
AG
I've got no problem getting down and dirty to get through qualifying, as long as we can rise above it when we play better teams.
deadbq03
AG
He doesn't act like that in the Bundesliga, which tells me he understands when ****housing is appropriate, and knows how to show restraint when it's not.
carl spacklers hat
Hoppe gets it, many great players get it. There is gamesmanship that goes on within the match, whether its a subtle shirt tug, a little rib jab when the ref isn't looking, kicking the ball away before a set piece, etc, etc. Its part of the game, whether one likes it or not. When applied properly, it can provide a significant mental advantage.
akm91
AG
Just have to bring this thread back up after the latest installment of dos a cero. Berhalter is not perfect but he sure has his team bought into his vision (and lucky he has world class talents across multiple positions), developed and fosters great team chemistry and gotten the results.

Yes, he's going to continue to overthink things at times but maybe it is time for us to hold back on criticism until we actually see how the team is going to play
1. Many (myself included) was shocked at not calling Brooks in. However, given the way Berhalter had the team play against Mexico, Brooks would not have started. No sense bringing him in if you're not going to start him.
2. Many thought it was going to be Arriola starting but Berhalter started Weah and he came through, big time.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
akm91 said:

Just have to bring this thread back up after the latest installment of dos a cero. Berhalter is not perfect but he sure has his team bought into his vision (and lucky he has world class talents across multiple positions), developed and fosters great team chemistry and gotten the results.

Yes, he's going to continue to overthink things at times but maybe it is time for us to hold back on criticism until we actually see how the team is going to play
1. Many (myself included) was shocked at not calling Brooks in. However, given the way Berhalter had the team play against Mexico, Brooks would not have started. No sense bringing him in if you're not going to start him.
2. Many thought it was going to be Arriola starting but Berhalter started Weah and he came through, big time.

This window is also just a two-game window instead of three games. So rotation isn't as necessary.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.