USWNT Thread

21,063 Views | 320 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by littlebitofhifi
Hand Of God
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the Olympics coming up, I figured it would be a good time to create a thread for the best women's squad in the world.

First of two send off series matches was tonight. A 4-0 victory over Mexico in what was sometimes a driving rain. A good result considering the difficult conditions.

Christen Press continues to put up numbers. She has now been directly involved in 36 goals in the last 36 matches. Sam Mewis also continues to be in top form.

Tobin Heath made an important return from injury tonight and scored on pretty much her first touch moments after entering the match. We need her (and Ertz) to be 100% for Tokyo.
Hand Of God
AG
Quote:

The International Olympic Committee has granted approval for participating teams to include their four alternates on their active rosters, expanding the full squads for the men's and women's tournaments to 22 players. Only 18 will be eligible to be selected on matchday.
Hand Of God
AG
Another 4-0 win today against Mexico. The final tune-up match before taking on Sweden to open the Olympic group stage.

The United States are now undefeated in 44 straight matches, the second-longest unbeaten streak in team history.
Mr. White
F*** em

[Same to you for posting in that manner on this board and the next poster that does it will get a month long ban instead of the two weeks that you got. -Staff]
littlebitofhifi
AG
I think Heath hustled us. After hearing/seeing almost nothing on her rehab status, I was super nervous about her (& Ertz) filling a roster spot. Not doubting the decision per se, just nervous particularly after what happened with Pinoe in 2016.

Well all doubts are gone. Holy smokes that's how you return with a vengeance!!
Hand Of God
AG
ShackelfordAg99
That was sexy as F&%#!
boogieman
AG
That was beautiful
PatAg
AG
Great team goal!

Linesman seems to be operating at the same skill level of the Mexican WNT
Pahdz
That was awesome
Rudyjax
AG
Girl, don't go away mad. Girl, just go away.
NJ75AGfdt
You win games by controlling the midfield. USWNT has a really good one in LaVelle (sp?). Forwards get "the ink" because they are usually involved in scoring, but it's the midfielders who are the unsung heroes. LaVelle (sp?) saved the US against France in the most recent world cup.
"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man," Psalm 118:8.

"In God we trust...all others pay cash!"
akm91
AG
NJ75AGfdt said:

You win games by controlling the midfield. USWNT has a really good one in LaVelle (sp?). Forwards get "the ink" because they are usually involved in scoring, but it's the midfielders who are the unsung heroes. LaVelle (sp?) saved the US against France in the most recent world cup.
I think you're selling Ertz, Mewis and Horan short. Ertz as defensive mid and Horan and Mewis as box to box mids have been terrific in controlling the midfield and springing the attack. Lavelle may not even start with a healthy Ertz back in the lineup.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
wangus12
AG
They play different positions. Lavelle is very much an attacking mid and Ertz isn't. It isn't Ertz keeping Lavelle out of the lineup, its Mewis and Horan. Lavelle had a rough year with Man City and needs to get back to her 2019 form. She was the best player in 2019 at the World Cup regardless of who was given the award.
akm91
AG
It's a domino effect. Horan is subbing in for Ertz which opens the door for Lavelle to start. Once Ertz is back, then the chances are Lavelle goes back to the bench as Horan is back to playing the 8.

Lavelle's been bitten by the injury bug which makes it hard for her to break into the starting lineup as she's not always available for the national team.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Given that she still wasn't suited up last night, I've got to think Ertz is going to be used as a defensive super sub and won't be going 90 minutes during the Olympics.

So MF starters are Horan (holding), S Mewis, and Lavelle for Sweden. Then quick turnaround against New Zealand allows for K Mewis to start for Lavelle and give Rose a rest since she is injury prone.

Ertz can then come in either for Horan at any time in a 1:1 swap, or replace a forward for a tactical change allowing for a 5th defender/double holding MFs to close out any close matches.
LB12Diamond
AG
K Mewes's game does not appear to me to be as solid as other players. Is she going to be a starter in the Olympics?
littlebitofhifi
AG
I think she starts one game because 1) turnaround is really tight between games in this tournament so you have to trust the depth and 2) Vlatko really likes her style of play.

Full disclosure, I love K Mewis and am super pumped she made the roster. I do agree though that she is not the sharpest and no way do I put her in the best XI. But, she is a real threat around the top of the box, and she's scored or assisted on 5 goals (I think) in limited play already this year.

If I look at the midfield depth right now, I definitely go to a very much in form K Mewis over Macario.
KCup17
AG
Is it just me or does there seem to be a drop from the starting XI to the subs replacing them this year? I know it's was not super apparent in the send off series but I'm worried when we play teams with more quality throughout their squad.
Here4goodSoccer
What players are you referring to? Since the US has played around with the lineup, I'm not exactly sure which subs are the drop off?

I have an idea (and will probably agree) but genuinely curious.
KCup17
AG
Specifically Davidson, Dahlkemper, Sonnett, and K Mewis. Albeit I haven't seen them play a ton outside of the USWNT so I don't really know what they bring off the bench. Going forward it's less of a question of the talent of the players and more about being fully fit.

I could be wrong and the lack of meaningful games recently have just clouded my judgement.
Hand Of God
AG
Dahlkemper is a mainstay on the back line. One of the best center backs in the world.

Davidson is consistent and has the quality to play anywhere along the back four when needed.

I agree that Sonnett and and K Mewis always appear a step slow and make errors that I don't see from others.
KCup17
AG
Didn't realize Dahlkemper was playing over in England
Hand Of God
AG
Picking just three from Ertz, Lavelle, Sam Mewis, and Horan has been tricky for a while. When healthy, Ertz is a no-brainer. Mewis has had an incredible run for both club and country. I used to doubt her but she has proven any of that wrong. She would be my first pick from the four now. It might just come down to the tactical differences when picking between Horan and Lavelle. But any of the four can dominate a match on a given day. Good problem to have.
Hand Of God
AG
I think she's the lone overseas player left on the USWNT. Press and Heath left United while Lavelle and Mewis left City.

Edit: forgot about Macario at Lyon.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Macario at Lyon. But yeah all the others including Cook from PSG are back (I think).

Edit: Nevermind you got it
littlebitofhifi
AG
KCup17 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a drop from the starting XI to the subs replacing them this year? I know it's was not super apparent in the send off series but I'm worried when we play teams with more quality throughout their squad.

This made me curious so I went back to check. These are the field players from the 2019 World Cup who are NOT on the Olympic roster: Krieger, Morgan Brian, Allie Long, Jess McDonald, and Mal Pugh.

Aside from an in-form Pugh (which she hasn't been in awhile), I'm not sure this Olympic sub group is a drop off from that group.

I do agree that we have some positions (particularly across the backline) that are a substantial drop off from starter to sub (Sonnett, Davidson, Casey Short-Krueger)
Here4goodSoccer
I do agree with you on a couple.

Since Davidson's injury (2019?) she hasn't been the same. I assume Vlatko likes her because of her ability to play CB and LB, but she isnt seeing consistent minutes at either position to develop.

I am not a fan of Sonnett. I don't think her play has improved from her college days at UVA. She is extremely inconsistent and can be a liability with her accumulation of silly fouls/cards.

K. Mewis is so much fun to watch play, but I can see your point. She is a drop off from the core four, but not by a lot. The current midfield has been able to build a relationship with each other. I think when K Mewis gets thrown in as a sub, it throws the dynamics off and it looks like a drop in production. Watch her highlights and you can see what she brings to the table. This may be her last chance at a major tournament so I'm not too hung up on her.
akm91
AG
Quote:

I am not a fan of Sonnett. I don't think her play has improved from her college days at UVA. She is extremely inconsistent and can be a liability with her accumulation of silly fouls/cards.
Totally agree with you regarding Sonnett. I guess it's her "ability" to play both RB and CB but I just don't see that.
KCup17
AG
I like K Mewis as a player too. I watch her on the Dash and she is great. However the USWNT is a step above and when she is on the field she looks a step behind.

Tbh I'm not a fan of Sonnett either. I've seen more highlights of her getting into it with other players after fouls she committed than I have seen of her actual play.

Rudyjax
AG
I wanted to see y'alls thoughts on this:

akm91
AG
He does a good job of laying out all the benefits the USWNT negotiated for in their CBA which the USMNT didn't and put a valuation on how much that amounted to.

One thing he could've done is to get into why there is disparity between the bonuses for WC performance. women WC winner actually gets a bigger % of the total WC payout (by FIFA and not USSF) than the mens WC winner: $4M out of $30M, 13.3%, compared to $38M out of $400M, 9.5%.
Rudyjax
AG
The whole thing infuriates me.

I started a job once where I could take a draw and commission, or take a salary with a smaller commission.
I took the salary with smaller commission.

I did the math one year and realized that I would've make $50k more if I had done the draw and commission.

So I sued the company for that $50k because another person on draw and commission had less sales than me, but made more money.

That's the exact same thing the women are doing.

akm91
AG
Yep and USWNT are basically lying about the "unequal pay". Not surprisingly the know nothing media runs with it because of the "narrative".
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Yep and USWNT are basically lying about the "unequal pay". Not surprisingly the know nothing media runs with it because of the "narrative".

And the president.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.