Proud dad wants to brag for a second...

1,956 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mathguy64
jmcooper07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What started out as a group of 8-year-old girls playing city league recreational soccer together
has now blossomed into a State Championship Club Team.

The Brazos Valley Blazers were just an idea several years ago that involved multiple area families who shared a common interest of having their young daughters experience a higher level of competition than recreational soccer could provide. So we created a team under the Brazos Valley Football Club, hired a coach and trainer and went to work.

It has been an incredible journey and an unending learning experience along the way. We have grown in size every year for the past four years and welcomed new girls to the Blazer family from all around the area as far reaching as Huntsville, TX. The journey has always been about way more than just soccer, and the girls are a testament to that.

This spring we travelled every weekend to the greater Houston area, to take part in the Dynamo/Dash soccer league, a highly competitive developmental league whose namesake is the Houston-based professional soccer organizations for both the MLS and the NWSL. These are large club organizations that pull from extensive populations of potential players to form their teams, so the competition level per division is as good as you can find throughout the state.

Our girls represented the Brazos Valley extremely well by winning the regular season, advancing to the district playoffs and going undefeated there, to claim a spot in the President's Cup State Championship in Round Rock, TX, May 14-16.

At that event, they also went undefeated amongst the other 3 state finalist teams amassing 8 goals while surrendering only 1 goal for the entire tournament. After earning State Champion honors for this league and division, they were invited to play at the regional tournament in Decatur, Alabama, June 9-13, as the sole representative from the Southern Division of the State of Texas.

This will be a completely unprecedented and exciting experience for these girls, some of whom have never even left their home state of Texas, and we are incredibly eager to take on the challenge and to continue to represent the Brazos Valley. A potential advancement from the regional level would mean an opportunity for the girls to compete for the National Championship later this summer. The entire experience to this point
has been an incredible blessing and wherever our journey ends, we know that the girls will have been gifted with so much more along the way than any Championship could equal.

GO BLAZERS!!

TLDR version:
Dad wants to brag on his little girl and her soccer team
Brazos Valley has an extremely good club soccer team
The Blazers won the regular season title and the State Championship
Next tournament is in Alabama to represent South Texas for the Regional title
Possible National Championship run later this summer

Aggie related because of this picture with Shea Groom, former Aggie soccer player and current Houston Dash midfielder.

akm91
AG
Awesome and congrats!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Dre_00
This hit me in the feels. Congrats to you and those young ladies!
CDub06
AG
Incredible! Congratulations to y'all.
jmcooper07
Thank you! We are so excited for this local team and the girls to get this experience.

If anyone is interested in helping support the team, they can use either method below to contribute.

Venmo Account @BVFC-Blazers

Go Fund Me https://gofund.me/11d4f4c1

Tonight the team will be featured on KAGS at 6 and 10!
Mathguy64
AG
Cool! My son reffed the Presidents Cup in RR (he's doing State Cup this weekend at Veterans Park) and he was selected as a referee to go the regionals in Decatur.

If he does her game and screws up it's not my fault

OneBlitzer
AG
Well done! Impressive!
jeffk
AG
That's huge! Congratulations!
jmcooper07
I'm sure he will do great and what a cool experience for him!
fig96
AG
As a dad with an almost 3 day old little girl I'm totally feeling this. Congrats!
phatbc
phatbc
ChipFTAC01
Jim01
AG
That's awesome. My daughter is on the Dash South 08 competitive team. Glad we didn't have to face you guys!
akm91
AG
fig96 said:

As a dad with an almost 3 day old little girl I'm totally feeling this. Congrats!
Congrats!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
floridAG
AG
Congratulations, that's a big accomplishment for the girls. Please let us know how they do in the regional tourney
Mathguy64
AG
A quick update on the Presidents Cup Regional. The weather and rain have been horrible. My son who is there reffing sent photos of fields that were mudpits with standing water. He said it's really not soccer. I feel for all the teams having to try and play in it.

I hope the girls are able to survive.
jeffk
AG
Tell your son to quit whining.
Mathguy64
AG
Nitwit expected the fields to be artificial so didn't bring cleats. First game he had yesterday he fell on his butt on the first hard run. He said his AR tried to stop, did a full 360 and face plant. The game was suspended after 6 minutes.
jeffk
AG
That's incredible.
Somebody
AG
Just an update on the Blazers. The girls fought as hard as they could and ended up running out of time. The first game was against the GA champs and it got delayed multiple times, finally starting at 9:45 pm (original kick time was 2). The girls fell short but gave it all they had.

Thursday they were lucky enough to play on the turf field and it was a whole different game. They ended up tying the TN champs 1-1 but had them on the ropes. I think we all heard a collective sigh of relief from the TN parents and coaches at the end because the girls were pressing hard and close to getting a game winner.

The third game was yesterday and the girls had to play mud ball. The field was a mud pit from end line to end line. They played the AL champs and scored a last second goal to take the W 2-1.

They ended up third in their bracket but it could have gone either way in all of games. The TN and GA teams made it to the semis today so the girls played two of the top four teams in the tournament and held their own. It was a great season and those girls never stopped battling. Now time for a little rest and then we start all over with a new season in August.
Somebody
AG
Like Mathguy said, the fields were absolutely trashed. They were mud pits. The ball just died every time it was touched. By yesterday the girls were running in slow motion from all of the mud. I can't imagine those fields are salvageable at this point. They are going to have to do a ton to get those fields repaired after the finals on Sunday.
jeffk
AG
Congratulations on an outstanding season!
Mathguy64
AG
They only had 2 artificial folds at 2 HSs. Thefields were so bad at the end that they were moving games 30 plus miles away in Huntsville.

Congrats to the girls for hanging in there. The report I got was the that the best teams were not always winning but that at least both teams had to deal with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.