Copa America could be moved to the US

1,162 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jeffk
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://mundoalbiceleste.com/2021/05/25/copa-america-could-be-hosted-in-united-states-not-argentina/

No idea how legitimate this source is so take it for what it's worth. Colombia has been removed as a host. Argentina just stopped all football activities due an increase in covid cases. The idea is that the tournament would run in states where the Gold Cup would not reside.

Seems plausible though I imagine CONMEBOL will want to give Argentina as much time as possible to host and CONCACAF would want to be compensated for having their tournament playing second fiddle to a concurrently running Copa America.
OregonAggie
AG
Here are the stadiums hosting the Gold Cup:
Dallas, Texas: Cotton Bowl
Arlington, Texas: AT&T Stadium
Houston, Texas: NRG Stadium
Houston, Texas: BBVA Stadium
Austin, Texas: Q2 Stadium
Frisco, Texas: Toyota Stadium
Glendale, Arizona: State Farm Stadium
Las Vegas, Nevada: Allegiant Stadium
Orlando, Florida: Exploria Stadium
Kansas City, Kansas: Children's Mercy Park

So where else could they go? I haven't paid as much attention to Covid restrictions in other states and it seems that Florida and Texas are as wide open as they come. ***not trying to make this political***

I didn't realize there would be games in Austin!
Dre_00
I live an ocean away now but I think pretty much every other state is now allowing fans at sporting events. They'll obviously pick the ones with the largest stadiums and fewest capacity restrictions. Nearly all of California allows either 1/3 and 2/3 capacity at sporting events. I'd venture to guess that by July it will be at lest 2/3 everywhere.
AG@RICE
AG
Columbia and Argentina can't host the cup due to Covid, so Brazil has been anointed the new host...

Have they been reading the news in Brazil???
Dre_00
When you can't find a country in South America that doesn't have a covid outbreak, you have to go to the only country that doesn't care about covid.
jeffk
AG
Brazil literally made their citizens homeless to build World Cup and Olympic venues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.