* Leeds United F.C. 2021 -22 Thread *

1,516 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by An Ag in CO
An Ag in CO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been a long-time fan of this club predating the Premier League and was really excited to see them finally get a good group of owners, and play hard from start to finish. Want to get this up since these are mostly done for the Super League Six teams.

Owners: Aser Group Holding (63%) and 49ers Enterprises (37%)
Chairman: Andrea Radrizzani, who hails from Milano in Italy and made his money in media rights; has brought some much-needed stability and common sense to a club that had some unfortunate owners making very poor decisions

Home stadium: Elland Road; capacity 37,792

Super League Six status: nope

Head coach: Marcelo Bielsa; from Rosario in Argentine who's coached both the Argentine and Chilean national teams; other than the two national team stints he's had a history of short managerial tenures at the club level; hero at LUFC for sticking with the club after failing to secure promotion after the 2018 - 19 season and securing promotion the following season; contract extended for an additional year

Cult figure: Victor Orta - Director of Football

Style of play: affectionately called Murderball with very high intensity from start to finish

League titles: 1968-69, 1973-74, 1991-1992 (the last year of the old First Division)

2020 - 21 Premier League finish: 9th; 59 points

Recommended viewing: Take Me Home - Leeds United (Amazon Prime)

Key phrase: Doing a Leeds; not something to be proud of, but financial mismanagement was a key feature of the club for an unfortunately long period

Player of the year 2020 - 21 season: Stuart Dallas
Young player of the year 2020 - 21 season: Ilan Meslier

Current roster:

1 Illan Meslier (G)
13 Casilla (G)
25 Elia Caprile (G)
2 Luke Ayling (D)
5 Robin Koch (D)
6 Liam Cooper (D)
14 Diego Llorente (D)
21 Pascal Struijk (D)
24 Leif Davis (D)
28 Gaetano Berardi (D) - leaving club
35 Charlie Cresswell (D)
37 Cody Drameh (D)
49 Oliver Casey (D)
NA Ouasim Bouy (M)
4 Adam Forshaw (M)
10 Ezgjan Alioski (M)
11 Tyler Roberts (M)
15 Stuart Dallas (M)
19 Pablo Hernandez (M) - leaving club
22 Jack Harrison (M)
23 Kalvin Phillips (M)
38 Crysencio Summerville (M)
43 Mat Klich (M)
45 Liam McCarron (M)
46 Jamie Shackleton (M)
47 Jack Jenkins (M)
NA Kun Temenuzhkov (F)
7 Ian Poveda (F)
9 Patrick Bamford (F)
17 Helder Costa (F)
18 Raphinha (F)
20 Rodrigo Moreno Machado (F)
30 Joe Gelhardt (F)
42 Sam Greenwood (F)
52 Niall Huggins (F)
59 Josh Galloway (F)
70 Charlie Allen (F)

Team still looks a bit like the team that didn't win promotion after the 2018 -19 season and it's expected LUFC will try and avoid what's happened to other clubs that held on to their Championship core a little too long. A few years up and then relegation. Not sure there will be too many splashy deals made over the summer, though, and it may be more of a generational change with older players making way for younger (where applicable).
ChipFTAC01
AG
Leeds' last spell up predates my soccer interest but I definitely enjoyed them being up this season. An important big market club with a great history and a great current style and story. Was a fan from opening day against LFC.
ptothemo
AG
I'm Arsenal through and through (joke's on me, right?), but Leeds is the only team other than Arsenal where I probably watched all 38 games this past season. The Premier League is better with Leeds in it, and damn they are fun to watch. I'll be pulling for them 36 times next season.
An Ag in CO
AG
KALVIN PHILLIPS HEADING TO EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH ENGLAND

Leeds United midfielder named in final 26-man squad

Gareth Southgate whittled down his provisional squad on Tuesday afternoon, with Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips securing his place in the 26-man party for the European Championships.

Phillips earned his first England cap ahead of the start of the Premier League season, making his debut in the 0-0 draw with Denmark and has since gone on to earn a further six caps for the Three Lions.

The midfielder has had a fine season for Leeds, making 30 appearances in all competitions and helping the Whites finish ninth in the club's first season back in the top-flight in 16 years.

Phillips also managed to bag his first Premier League goal in the final game of the season, scoring a fantastic free-kick in the 3-1 win over West Brom.

eiggA2002
AG
I'm glad they are up and they proved they belong. Great history, great manager, and great club. So fun to watch. If you haven't watched the Amazon doc go see it. I've got a club, but if I didn't they'd be the one.
jeffk
AG
Leeds is one of my favorite teams in the league to watch. Tons of fun... when they're not playing Liverpool.
deadbq03
AG
I'm glad they stayed up because they'll have the means to pay up when this mess finally settles:

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-jean-kevin-augustin-leipzig-20718950
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

Lewis Bate has completed his move from Premier League side Chelsea, joining Leeds United on a three-year contract.
The highly-rated midfielder had plenty of options this summer, but chose to join the Whites as he feels the club is best suited to his style of play.
"It's a great feeling," Bate told LUTV after signing his contract.
"I'm delighted to have finally signed, it's taken its time but I am glad to be here now.
"It's a huge club with a big fan base that is wanting to succeed."
The 18-year-old captained his former club in the 2020 FA Youth Cup final and has also represented England at both Under-17 and Under-18 level.
Bate was asked about what the fans can expect to see from him as a player, and what he expects from the style of football he is now going to be playing.
He explained: "I am fast, as in how quick I think when the ball comes to me.
"I am a good passer I would say, and I like to get stuck in to put other teams under pressure.
"The way Leeds play on the ball is sharp, looking to get the ball forward as quickly as possible, and teams can't handle that.
"I know how big the club is and I know how they play football. I know Marcelo Bielsa's methodology and how he wants to play, and I think it suits my game."
An Ag in CO
AG
Patrick Bamford now in the England team:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/31/patrick-bamford-hopes-england-call-can-help-him-dispel-privilege-myths
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.