******BTHO TCU******

3,231 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M soccer closes out their spring irregular season at home on Saturday. The Aggies face TCU at 7PM at Ellis Field. Video of the game will not be broadcast, but audio will be available on the 12th Man app and locally on 97.3FM.

The Aggies are 12-0 all-time against TCU. The last meeting came in Knoxville in the 2nd round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament. The Aggies won that won 2-0.

But this is a different TCU than the Aggies have faced before. This TCU team comes with a #3 national ranking, a 10-0-1 record, and a wealth of talent.

Texas A&M will be the first non-Big 12 team that TCU plays during this 2020-2021 season. TCU faltered in their opening game in 2020 and tied Baylor 0-0, but has been a perfect 10-0 since then, outscoring their opponents 21-3 on their way to their first Big 12 Championship.

TCU has 3 players on the Hermann Trophy Watch List, which is tied for the most in the nation.

One of those players, senior midfielder Yazmeen Ryan, was drafted #6 overall in the NWSL Draft, but decided to finish out the spring season at TCU before joining the Portland Thorns. Ryan is tied for a team-leading 6 goals and has 3 assists as well. Ryan missed the last 2 games in 2020 due to injury but is back in a big way in their continued 2021 season. She has played a role in scoring all 6 goals in the spring season, notching 3 assists and putting 3 goals in herself.

Sophomore forward, Grace Collins is TCU's 2nd Hermann Trophy Watch Lister and has matched Ryan's 6 goals this season and scored the game winner against West Virginia to win the Big 12 Championship. She also has 2 assists and a team-high 34 shots. Collins has started every game since stepping on campus at TCU.

The third TCU player on the Hermann Trophy Watch List is senior goalkeeper Emily Alvarado. Alvarado has totaled 43 saves this season while allowing 3 goals. She's earned 7 shutouts on the season. Alvarado is a member of Mexico's 2020 World Cup Qualifying team. Alvarado has actually faced A&M before, in the aforementioned 2018 match and set a career high in saves with 8.

For comparison, the Aggies placed two players on the Hermann Trophy Watch List, but both Jimena Lopez and Addie McCain were drafted and are now playing with their professional teams.

This will be a tough match for the Aggies and is certainly one they need to win (or tie) to boost their tournament resume. TCU comes in as a daunting opponent that's kept their 2020 season rolling into 2021. The Aggies are more unsure as the roster and team dynamic changed with the calendar year.

It's possible with the conference-centric scheduling that certain conferences' teams get a rankings boost artificially (Big Ten Basketball). However, that doesn't appear to be the case with the Big 12 as West Virginia has notched huge victories over a couple of ACC powerhouses in Duke & Virginia. It's unusual for a visiting team to come to Ellis Field as a heavy favorite, but that looks to be the case here. It's time to see what this 2021 squad is made of.
Expert Analysis
AG
It feels really weird to have meaningful Aggie soccer in the spring and I have not been able to follow the team much. Are our early enrollees able to play?

This would likely be a great game if we had our fall squad.
CDub06
AG
Early enrollees are on campus, but aren't allowed to play. Which has been a big bummer.
jeffk
AG
irregular seasons
jeffk
AG
CDub
BQ_90
AG
so who for the Ags will not be available?

Also I think it was posted before that to park at Reed will cost $10 because of bull riding event at Reed? Also baseball is playing at 2 PM so even thought it should be open by then, the Olsen parking lots may not be open. So everyone be prepared for cluster to park.
mullokmotx
AG
I see the roster has been updated on 12thman.com to remove Jimena Lopez, Addie McCain and Tera Ziemer.
The only 1 of the 20 players on the roster who will not play is Andersen Williams. Kate Colvin was not in uniform for the last game but hopefully she has healed. She has played in 11 of the 13 matches.
mullokmotx
AG
Grace Collins was the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year in 2018. Barbara Olivieri won in 2019.
Diego
AG
Top Drawer Soccer came out with a ranking of the Top 100 Freshmen in women's college soccer. Barbara Olivieri, Taylor Pounds, Laney Carroll and Lauren Geczik all made the list!
CDub06
AG
Gameday
MookieBlaylock
AG
No video? Thanks big12 garbage conference

BQ_90
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

We're playing at home
MarcAg
AG
" The third TCU player on the Hermann Trophy Watch List is senior goalkeeper Emily Alvarado. Alvarado has totaled 43 saves this season while allowing 3 goals. She's earned 7 shutouts on the season. Alvarado is a member of Mexico's 2020 World Cup Qualifying team. Alvarado has actually faced A&M before, in the aforementioned 2018 match and set a career high in saves with 8."

She's not playing tonight. Playing with Mexican national team.
CDub06
AG
Good catch. Thanks.
CDub06
AG
BQ_90 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

We're playing at home

So many sports going on in Aggieland today. Soccer will sometimes get a skeleton crew in the fall when there are several concurrent home games, but among all the spring sports going on tonight, I guess we were just short on manpower for a production.
Expert Analysis
AG
Game has been pretty even.
Barb missed a good chance that needed to be put in the back of the net.
HiddenAg2
Good first half for us. TCU on their heels and frustrated. Aggies winning a lot of 50/50 balls. Encouraging for sure. Barb has to finish that gift.
Expert Analysis
AG
Geczik with a nice goal on an assist from Kolb.

We have had a few chances this half.

I would imaging TCU will start to press more they have been pretty passive this far.
coloradoag69
AG
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got no clue of the details. I got the below from the "stats" feed.

TAMU 56:46 2nd GOAL by TAMU Geczik, Lauren Assist by Kolb, Macie
coloradoag69
AG
A&M wins 1 - 0!

Again, I have no clue on the details, except that the written game feed indicated that TCU must have pressed us in the last 20 minutes.

Doesn't matter!
Expert Analysis
AG
Nice win
Rambotx
With this win, should get a first round bye in the NCAA Tournament.
Rambotx
CDub06
AG
Great win. Pretty evenly matched game. It was a good one to watch.

Some bad missed opportunities on each side. Ags looked gassed by the end, but held on. Really enjoyable by all measures.
HiddenAg2
I was able to catch the game tonight at Ellis (first of the Spring) and I was not expecting much from the team as losing Lopez and McCain was a gut punch to what we had in Fall and we have a really bad loss at Rice several weeks ago. I had read a lot about how good TCU was and their gaudy stat lines, but it was all against Big 12 competition.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well we matched up with the Frogs and how we took it to them in the first half, winning most balls and putting them under a lot of pressure on their end of the field. I think they were rattled and frustrated because they are used to just abusing and dictating play to their opponents. But not tonight. We had a lot of good possession and set up scoring chances we couldn't finish unfortunately. The miss by Barbara at the end of the half was brutal but her relentless hustle for most of the match made up for it. The second half was even until about 20 minutes to go, when TCU starting wearing down our tired girls because only substituted a few times the entire match (not sure if we just don't have much roster available because of injuries?) and they started playing in our end and creating a lot of corner kicks for scoring chances. Luckily the backline came up with several great clearances and Caldwell had a key save late to hold on to the big win. The winning goal early in the second half came from a nice build up and very good cross from Kolb back to Geczik across the box for the finish. Geczik has clearly become a big part of the offense now. We did have a lot of shots high over the crossbar which is always frustrating since it's simple fundamentals to get your head over the ball before shooting.

I think we just had a lot of great hustle and just wanted this game more than the Frogs. Karlina Sample and Katie Smith really shut down the vaunted TCU forwards as they just couldn't get past them with our physical and speedy play. It was important to win because of the uncertainty of how the committee will pick entrances in the tourney. Some thought we might actually miss the tourney with a loss tonight but I think it was unlikely since we are SEC champs. We will be seeded now for sure and get a bye in the first round with only 48 teams in the tourney. The TCU coaches were characters on the sideline and lost their minds a few times with the ref, who I thought did a good job for the most part tonight. I'm sure they were very upset that their best chance to get their first ever win against A&M ended in yet another defeat. A&M deserved to win this game and I don't think it was a fluke either.

I have no idea what will happen in the tourney and who will be favored because of all the chaos in two separate seasons and so much roster change in all the big programs. If TCU was truly one of the best teams in the country, then we have a shot to advance far in this format with all games in NC in a few weeks. I hope they are going to stream some of the matches? But I do like our core group of players and their chemistry tonight and it's encouraging that most are underclassmen and return this Fall for a full season. Will be interesting to see what the incoming freshmen add to this group.
coloradoag69
AG
Thanks Hidden. I'm glad you were able to report as a spectator. Your summaries are always detailed and insightful.

It was frustrating that there was no video of the game nor even a video of highlights. I guess the school has limits to how many events they can stream in a day. Given how the baseball team is going, in hindsight it would have been better to stream the ladies last night, but I know that's not realistic.

In this mixed up year, maybe we can make a big run in the tournament!
mullokmotx
AG
There are some highlights including the goal on kbtx.com. The camera guy said he got the miss by Barbara but they didn't show that highlight. Great steal though.
Rambotx
KBTX highlight video:

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/04/11/aggies-topple-no-3-tcu-1-0/
Rambotx
MookieBlaylock
AG
Watch the TCU defemder on the goal

Glad she is a frog
mullokmotx
AG
Who else was surprised that Kate Colvin was on the back line? Only Laney Carroll was subbed for during the game, first by Jai Smith for 12 minutes and then by Ali Russell for 13 minutes. But there were at least 3 extended stoppages for injury which gave the players a chance to rest. It's going to be almost 3 weeks until our next game. G has said the team has been training 8 hours a week.
Expert Analysis
AG
I have no idea who is healthy or not. We only subbed one time against Rice and twice tonight. I assume Dumond had been playing right back in the previous games.
Colvin struggled quite a bit which isn't unexpected as she is inexperienced especially at right back.
mullokmotx
AG
The only player on the roster who was not in uniform was Andersen Williams. So we had 8 players on the bench and 2 of them are goalkeepers. It seems like the more important the games are that fewer substitutes play.

I spoke after the game with 1 of the 3 players who enrolled in January and asked her if they would be able to travel to the NCAA Tournament and she hopes so. But this is the NCAA we are talking about and what is most important to them is the student athlete.
Rambotx
12TH Man Game Highlights:

https://12thman.com/sports/womens-soccer
ntheno
Aggies are now ranked #5! https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1/ncaa-womens-soccer-rpi
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.