Help me with a rule clarification

753 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jeffk
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Direct kick from outside the box

Player taking the direct kick shoots the ball, keeper gets fingertips on the shot, but is not enough to block it, and the ball goes past the goal line for a score.

Ref calls offside on the direct kick even though it was clearly a shot on goal, the keeper didn't deflect it, and no other player became involved in the play (though a player from the offensive team may have been in an offside position when the direct kick was taken, they never had a chance to become involved because then kick scores right away)

Is it offside?
AustinScubaAg
AG
In that scenario you can only be offsides if you are deemed to have interfered with the keeper.
DuncanField91
AG
It's not a foul to be in an offside position. It's a foul to impact play from an offside position.
Mathguy64
AG
Did the player in an offside position block the vision of the GK or keep the GK from making the play on the ball in any way?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Not from what I recall, the ball was wide left outside the 18, the players on the same team were wide right near the 6 yard box. The direct kick was taken directly at the keeper, there was no time to rush in, it just went by the keeper.
Mathguy64
AG
Who knows. Refs make mistakes. Lord knows I have made my fair share.
PatAg
AG
If the player that was offsides was making a run in the box, that would probably be enough.
jeffk
AG
The ref is obviously a secret fan of the other team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.