Purpose of substitution limits?

1,037 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
Hand Of God
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone provide a good reason for limiting substitutions in international and professional soccer matches?

Is the main purpose to limit disruptions in the flow of the match?

I've never much liked the rule myself. I'd prefer to see teams be allowed to make more changes.

Thoughts?
MB19
AG
Well in reading the history getting substitutions approved in the first place was like pulling teeth. Given the British attitude of "10 men should carry on like men" while a player hobbled around on the field, change was slow in coming. This in large part to the 4 permanent seats the Brits had on the FIFA board.
deadbq03
AG
I agree there needs to be more than 3.

I've enjoyed watching 5 in Bundesliga and CL this year and it's hard to find a negative.

But at some point (I'd argue definitely by 8, but maybe even at 6) you'd run into a fairness situation... rich teams that could afford to be deep would be able to rotate players and stay fresh without losing quality.
Mathguy64
AG
Imagine the disparity if City could regularly bring in 5 fresh bodies. Their second 11 is better than some squads first 11. Depth would really make it a game of haves and have nots.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

Imagine the disparity if City could regularly bring in 5 fresh bodies. Their second 11 is better than some squads first 11. Depth would really make it a game of haves and have nots.

It's already that way.
deadbq03
AG
After thinking on my own comments on depth, it dawned on me that the opposite could also be true in terms of talent gap. That is - if the teams at the top have more top players who can play at their best for a full 90, then it's an advantage to them to force everyone else to play the full 90 even if they can't hang for a full 90. As far as fitness is concerned, you could argue that teams that have more talent outside their starting 11 could just as well rotate starters between games (and absolutely rotate starters for early Cup games without risking a loss) whereas lesser clubs can't.

I could make a case that allowing more subs could mean that a lower-tier club could frustrate better clubs more... fore example, put scrappy pressing forwards/mids in the game at the beginning and then bring on your more skilled attacking players late in the game to try and steal a win (or steal back a draw). It would allow good coaches an opportunity to exploit matchups that could perhaps neutralize the talent gap. In the Bundesliga and Leipzig in particular who I follow... I see lots more teams this year implementing a high press early and then using the extra 2 subs to rotate in fresh legs. It's certainly making games more entertaining, and it's yielded some surprising results.

And from a competitive standpoint, I'd say 5 subs hasn't made things more unfair at all in the Bundesliga, in fact, the opposite could be true.
Aston94
AG
Well you don't want endless changes. Then you will have a coach subbing on every throw in for tactical changes and then in the second half to kill time. There has to be a cap on changes.

Soccer matches change from beginning to end based on endurance. The field opens up and generally becomes a more wide open brand of football. I like second half football because there is usually more time on the ball to create more, and the battle is to endure and outlast your opponent.

I prefer that to the world of NBA match up sports where the coach over coaches in the last 5 minutes, but that is me.

If you want to permanently move the number of subs from 3 to 5 then we can discuss that, but limitless changes would significantly alter the way the game is played and managed.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, no limit on subs would most likely result in additional rules about time wasting or limitations on when in the half subs could be made.
deadbq03
AG
I think the way UEFA did it was very sensible: 5 subs but you're only allowed 3 stoppages during the course of the game for making the subs (halftime is then a 4th time you could make changes).
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Maybe allow subs at halftime not count against your three.
Out in Left Field
AG
I think the beauty of soccer is that there's not too much in-game coaching. You have a game plan and the 11 players on the field have to make it happen, I guess with a little yelling from 50 yards away on the sidelines plus halftime talks.

Allowing too many subs, I think, fundamentally changes how the game is played. I think the 5 subs during 3 windows is a good compromise.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'm in the "its about right as is" camp. I think changing from 2+GK change to 3 was a good idea and I think adding the 4th for extra time was a good idea but that's about it.

I'm actually also finally at peace with how extra time is handled. If you watch a total of 11 guys + 4 subs go 120 minutes, they're all dead gassed by the time the final whistle blows and penalties though a bit random are the best way to settle it. I used to advocate for endless 15 minute silver goal periods but after watching so many matches go all the way to 120, its apparent that after that point, the players are basically out of energy and its more of a luck of the draw situation than penalties after that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.