Laws Interpretation - Keeper Handling

2,179 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rudyjax
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It wasnt directly a goal kick. That ball was about to go out over the end line well outside the 6 yard goal area. The clarification is basically: "do not take a goal kick and use that to directly lift it or head it to a goal keeper." The ball was in play and Perisic juggled the ball up to his head and headed it to the GK. Thats been trickery forever. Its the textbook definition of trickery. Perisic gets the yellow for Unsporting Behavior (he committed the act of trickery) and the restart is an indirect free kick because the stoppage is the GK is illegally handling the ball inside their own penalty area. Technically I guess you could also card the GK for the act of handling but you shouldn't.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It wasnt directly a goal kick. That ball was about to go out over the end line well outside the 6 yard goal area. The clarification is basically: "do not take a goal kick and use that to directly lift it or head it to a goal keeper." The ball was in play and Perisic juggled the ball up to his head and headed it to the GK. Thats been trickery forever. Its the textbook definition of trickery. Perisic gets the yellow for Unsporting Behavior (he committed the act of trickery) and the restart is an indirect free kick because the stoppage is the GK is illegally handling the ball inside their own penalty area. Technically I guess you could also card the GK for the act of handling but you shouldn't.
Ok...not sure why there needs to be a claficiation. They should spend more time with the handball and VAR.
Just my opinion though.
Mathguy64
AG
The Law dont say this actual new act is illegal. It was a loophole that they closed.

There are more visible changes you will see in the definition of handling. Its a mess now and will be a slightly smaller mess July 1. IMHO the handling statements in Law 12 are the single most MISunderstood part of the laws today. That includes players, spectators, coaches and referees alike. I wish they would just say "Balls hit hands in soccer. Everyone get over that. The referee will decide if they think you put your hand where it didnt belong when the ball hit it."

VAR and offside (Law 11) were never designed to go together. I think its ruining the professional game. I wish they would go back to letting professional ARs make the calls on the field and only rule out obvious offside misses that end in goals. Obvious meaning they get one look at video in real time with no digital lines. If you cant tell right then its not an obvious mistake and move along. MLS is close to that and its much better.

ETA fixed a glaring typo
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The Law dont say this actual new act is illegal. It was a loophole that they closed.

There are more visible changes you will see in the definition of handling. Its a mess now and will be a slightly smaller mess July 1. IMHO the handling statements in Law 12 are the single most understood part of the laws today. That includes players, spectators, coached and referees alike. I wish they would just say "Balls hit hands in soccer. Everyone get over that. The referee will decide if they think you put your hand where it didnt belong when the ball hit it."

VAR and offside (Law 11) were never designed to go together. I think its ruining the professional game. I wish they would go back to letting professional ARs make the calls on the field and only rule out obvious offside misses that end in goals. Obvious meaning they get one look at video in real time with no digital lines. If you cant tell right then its not an obvious mistake and move along. MLS is close to that and its much better.
I think you missed a mis and in misunderstood.

Agree 100% on VAR. If you can't tell in replay once or twice on any call, it should stand as called on the pitch.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.