EPL Relegation Watch 2021

9,478 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Thunder18
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Look guys... said:

So who wins between the winner of the Championship league and the winner of the MLS cup?

Seriously? I think the top couple clubs in MLS would be lower third in Championship.
Championship clubs have better rosters and are better teams generally, primarily due to the roster rules.

If you put MLS teams in the Championship in England and loosen the reins, there are several in MLS that within a season or two would be pushing for promotion to the premier league simply because honestly MLS holds them back (and many that would be eventually wind up in League 1).
ChipFTAC01
AG
Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying if you dropped Philadelphia, Toronto, SKC and Columbus into this fall's Championship season J don't really see any of them finishing above 12th-15th place.
Thunder18
AG
Both Brentford and Barnsley lose
Rudyjax
AG
JJxvi said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Look guys... said:

So who wins between the winner of the Championship league and the winner of the MLS cup?

Seriously? I think the top couple clubs in MLS would be lower third in Championship.
Championship clubs have better rosters and are better teams generally, primarily due to the roster rules.

If you put MLS teams in the Championship in England and loosen the reins, there are several in MLS that within a season or two would be pushing for promotion to the premier league simply because honestly MLS holds them back (and many that would be eventually wind up in League 1).

jeffk
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Look guys... said:

Hmm... I think the top four MLS clubs would be in the upper half of the championship. We should start an exchange program so we can put this to the test.
deadbq03
AG
I agree with that. They'd be hard pressed to sniff a playoff spot though.

On the opposite end, I think if luck had nothing to do with it (sadly it always does), every single MLS team is talented enough avoid relegation.
OregonAggie
AG
I wasn't sure where to post this so I just picked this thread. Obviously the relegation battle is long over but every club above them still has something to play for...$$$$

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/club-by-club-a-breakdown-of-the-2019-20-premier-league-prize-money/

This was a breakdown of the 2019-2020 payouts for each club and every place in the EPL gets different payouts. TV appearances play a role as well but the bottom line is the higher up the table you finish, the more money you get.

As an example, Everton could make about $15M more by winning the next 2 games and finishing in 7th versus finishing in 9th where they are now.

Maybe that'll give the players more to play for over the next few days beyond the clubs vying for European spots.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

I wasn't sure where to post this so I just picked this thread. Obviously the relegation battle is long over but every club above them still has something to play for...$$$$

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/club-by-club-a-breakdown-of-the-2019-20-premier-league-prize-money/

This was a breakdown of the 2019-2020 payouts for each club and every place in the EPL gets different payouts. TV appearances play a role as well but the bottom line is the higher up the table you finish, the more money you get.

As an example, Everton could make about $15M more by winning the next 2 games and finishing in 7th versus finishing in 9th where they are now.

Maybe that'll give the players more to play for over the next few days beyond the clubs vying for European spots.
That's awesome. Every team playing for something until the end.

Instead of being rewarded for finishing lower.
KCup17
AG
Brentford into the final! Beat a 10 man Bournemouth 3-1.

To add to the MLS debate I don't think an MLS team would sniff the promotion playoff. I think if you dropped our 4 best teams into the championship you would see them relegated quicker than promoted.
oh no
AG
I'm not so sure about that but I'm rooting for brentford!
Furlock Bones
AG
KCup17 said:

Brentford into the final! Beat a 10 man Bournemouth 3-1.

To add to the MLS debate I don't think an MLS team would sniff the promotion playoff. I think if you dropped our 4 best teams into the championship you would see them relegated quicker than promoted.

Wrong. There are a lot of dreadful teams in the Championship.
heddleston
AG
It's hard to compare the Championship with MLS. If you put a healthy best XI for Seattle or Columbus or LAFC out there they'd be very very competitive in the Championship. The same thing that keeps MLS from winning CCL would keep them from getting promoted though. Salary cap. Lift that and those top MLS clubs would easily be able to bolster their benches and compete. You could say the same thing about Championship teams too. Give them our salary cap and our travel iteneraries and see how many of them would be able to waltz their way to the Supporters Shield. The relegation level teams likely don't make the playoffs.
Mathguy64
AG
To me the level of touch and speed just isn't the same. At least not at the top 4-6.
KCup17
AG
I'm confused if you mean that you are unsure if they beat Bournemouth or win in the final. Because the 2nd leg was earlier today and Brentford won 3-1.
KCup17
AG
True. But comparatively top to bottom championship teams have more talent in my opinion.

Would definitely be an interesting experiment.
Aston94
AG
Swansea advance 2-1 on aggregate, so final promotion spot is Brentford v. Swansea.
oh no
AG
Sorry I wasn't clear: I'm rooting for brentford for promotion

What I wasn't so sure about was this part:
"I think if you dropped our 4 best teams into the championship you would see them relegated quicker than promoted."
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
heddleston said:

It's hard to compare the Championship with MLS. If you put a healthy best XI for Seattle or Columbus or LAFC out there they'd be very very competitive in the Championship. The same thing that keeps MLS from winning CCL would keep them from getting promoted though. Salary cap. Lift that and those top MLS clubs would easily be able to bolster their benches and compete. You could say the same thing about Championship teams too. Give them our salary cap and our travel iteneraries and see how many of them would be able to waltz their way to the Supporters Shield. The relegation level teams likely don't make the playoffs.
this is a really good couple points that no one mentions very much. Salary cap is a big deal.

And I think the travel difference is overlooked as well. As I understand it, MLS teams still fly commercial and stay in standard business hotels (yes, not like la Quinta but places like Hyatt regency or whatever). Championship club's longest travel day is an hour flight or a few hours on the train. No one comes close to having to make the trip from LA to Montreal or Miami to Vancouver.
KCup17
AG
Me too. Really hope that they can pull out the win against swansea.

In my opinion I dont think the MLS can handle the technicality or pace of the game. especially how the MLS clubs are modeled with a salary cap. Take off the salary cap and give them a couple seasons to get proper players and adjusted and i think its a different story.
oh no
AG
KCup17 said:

Me too. Really hope that they can pull out the win against swansea.

In my opinion I dont think the MLS can handle the technicality or pace of the game. especially how the MLS clubs are modeled with a salary cap. Take off the salary cap and give them a couple seasons to get proper players and adjusted and i think its a different story.

I think MLS has great athletes and in general has a more direct style of play, so I really don't think pace would be that much of a problem. Technical skill and tactical strategy and wherewithal? Maybe a bit more of an issue. I don't know. I also don't know the differences in number of designated/foreign players and salary caps, etc., but I do think the salary cap is the biggest limiter for top MLS clubs preventing them from beating a team like Tigres or America or Monterrey in the Concacaf Champions League and it would be similar vs Championship teams in England's second tier.

Derrel Dike just hopped over on loan from Orlando and tore it up in the Championship, and I think Arriola and Morris could have done well had they not unfortunately gotten injured so quickly once they got there. In the last couple of years, the Toronto FC team and LAFC team that made the CCL final probably had more quality players in their best 11 or 11 best, but still couldn't beat the Mexican team and I think quality depth is the major factor.

I also think MLS as a talent pool for the world has gone up quite a bit in stature in recent years and major European clubs are investing a lot in scouting, relationships with MLS clubs (i.e. Bayern and FC Dallas), and setting up their own academies in the US (Barca, etc.). Athleticism is not going to be the issue. Development and locking in more of the premium athletes early before they reach football and school sports is a challenge in the US.
akm91
AG
Mathguy64 said:

To me the level of touch and speed just isn't the same. At least not at the top 4-6.
I think the teams that yo-yo back and forth between EPL and Championship are a cut above MLS clubs. But MLS teams would be very competitive against the traditional Championship teams.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
OregonAggie
AG
I think top MLS teams would be middle of the road Championship teams just due to depth alone. I also think that MLS is such a young league that the clubs right now are pouring a lot of money into infrastructure. Stadiums, academies, etc... I think the MLS will be much better in 10 years when the infrastructure is set here because teams will spend more on players.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Playoff final going right now
Aston94
AG
Brentford win 2-0 over Swansea, claim the last spot in next years EPL. First time Brentford will be in top league since 1947, and obviously their first trip to the EPL.
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

Brentford win 2-0 over Swansea, claim the last spot in next years EPL. First time Brentford will be in top league since 1947, and obviously their first trip to the EPL.

Wow! That's awesome.
Thunder18
AG
Good for Brentford after their heartbreaking loss in the playoff last year

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.