NWSL Draft Wednesday January 13

1,468 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by littlebitofhifi
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chris Henderson of All White Kit had a tweet December 30 with a preliminary draft ranking that had Jimena Lopez at No. 8, Addie McCain at No. 26, and Taylor Ziemer at No. 57. He had a Draft Profile of Taylor Ziemer on January 11 and a Draft Profile of Addie McCain on December 26. Both profiles are at @chris_awk. According to the NWSL website Addie McCain had registered for the NWSL draft.

The NWSL just changed their rules to allow anyone college player who has played for 3 years to be drafted whether they have registered on not. According to a NWSL news release, the NCAA has granted a waiver to allow any player drafted to keep their eligibility as long as they don't' sign a contract with a team or agent. I have not actually seen anything direct from the NCAA
The top player in the country, Catarina Macario of Stanford, just signed a contract to play in France.
CDub06
AG
Good luck to the players that will beginning their careers.

But one thing is for sure: We're really going to be missing some players for this spring season... Would've liked to see this group in the tournament.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Addie McCain goes 17th overall to Kansas City!

mullokmotx
AG
Congratulations to Addie! Wish her the best.
CDub06
AG
Is Jimena's being an international player holding her back in this draft? Kinda surprised she's still on the board.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Crazy timing...I was just asking some experts via twitter and she just went off the board to OL Reign!!

Edit to add the commentators just highlighted my suspicions which is there may have been some doubt as to whether Jimena would be staying in the US vs playing in Europe. Rumors had been circulating that some Spanish clubs were really interested.
littlebitofhifi
AG
CDub06
AG
Jimena joining Ally on the Reign
littlebitofhifi
AG
Unconfirmed, but interesting.

CDub06
AG
So she may have fallen because she's set on playing outside the country, but the Reign just wanted to secure her rights in the NWSL.
littlebitofhifi
AG
That's the way I'm interpreting it. If a player has SIGNED to play in another league they were not draft eligible (e.g. Catarino Macario). I'm guessing Lopez indicated a strong preference and/or is in negotiations to play outside the US, but hasn't actually signed. So her stock fell, but OL Reign just felt it was worth the risk. It also may be a perfect fit that the one internationally owned club has her US rights...perhaps enabling loan opportunities that OL Group has been interested in since their purchase?

Honestly I have no idea. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she suits up for OL Reign, just to see the Aggie contingent. I'm a Dash season ticket holder but will be hard not to root for Ellis Field West.
mullokmotx
AG
Saw a tweet on the account of Sophie Lawson (@lawson_sv) yesterday indicating that Jimena Lopez is probably going to play in Spain.
mullokmotx
AG
A tweet from the account @SDEibarEN says Jimena Lopez signed with SD Eibar which is a club in the north of Spain. Good luck to her!
littlebitofhifi
AG
littlebitofhifi
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.