Houston Dynamo 2021 Season Thread

7,032 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jeffk
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What I wrote to start last season's thread

Quote:

I mean, at this point it's tradition that's driving me to start these threads more than anything else. And I figure if there's any forum that should be able to understand that, it's an Aggie forum.

What's there to say? We missed the playoffs...again. We sucked so bad that we forced a legend into retirement. We don't have a permanent coach. We do have a permanent owner who is causing a permanent problem. Hard to be optimistic about the upcoming season but...we go again!

95% of that still applies and since I'm certain you all are smart enough to know what 5% doesn't apply, I'm just running with that as the content for this thread's first post.

Some might call it lazy. I call it efficient. In the spirit of the Breners, I follow a "do just enough so the outcome is barely acceptable" philosophy. In the Breners cause, "acceptable" is defined as "paying 11 people to show up three dozen times a year to kick a ball around for 90 minutes". That's it. That's the bar.
jeffk
AG
IN FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF MEETING BASEMENT LEVEL EXPECTATIONS
Dre_00
jeffk said:

IN FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF MEETING BASEMENT LEVEL EXPECTATIONS

THAT'S THE SPIRIT JEFF
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So we're officially the small-market Toronto Maple Leafs of soccer. Great.
DuncanField91
AG
No way we get relegated though.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
We'd be the equivalent of the MK Dons if relegation was possible. Two or three levels down from top flight with no realistic possibility of promotion in the foreseeable future.
Dre_00
We spent some allocation money to bring Tim Parker over from RBNY. Shipped Struna to Montreal. Moved from 3 to 6 in the draft and picked up Derrick Jones along the way. Then used the 6 pick to pick up another CB. Also picked up Fafa Picault and Joe Corona before all of this.

So a fair bit of change that may be a net positive. I'm willing to give Tab the benefit of the doubt as this is really the first time he's brought in his players (I think). But all of this is more of the same from an investment and quality standpoint. Dynamo sill playing v2.0 while everyone else is on v4.0 and 5.0.
jeffk
AG
I made this for me.
KCup17
AG
This is me too.

I was in attendance at our first MLS Cup title (was actually one of the mascots that walked out with the team). Dating myself I know. Long gone are the days of the grit and hustle of the teams of those first years. My love for the Dynamo has waned over the years and I'm left wanting to root for a team with winning aspiration. Year after year of mediocre on field product with the combination of moving closer to the Austin area has Austin FC looking like a potential team to support.
fig96
AG
I'm a longtime Dynamo supporter and former STH who's been in Austin for 5 years and is now an Austin FC STH. I'll still watch and follow the Dynamo, but ownership has made it really hard the past few seasons.

There's some legit excitement here in Austin for the club and ownership (despite some questionable behavior in Columbus in the past) has spent some money and is putting together what has the potential to be a really competitive team.
Onceaggie2.0
Cant wait about 200 people at each home game this year atmosphere will be electric!
oh no
AG
Dynamo was supposed to have a pre-season friendly vs USL side Austin Bold on Wednesday. Tickets to watch at BBVA were free... I was going to go.. but a Bold player got covid and it was cancelled. Off to a good start, Dynamo!
Dre_00
Can we count that as a win?
Dre_00
Looks like the 2021 version of this thread is just going to be 12 posts of me saying "Well, we lost again."
oh no
AG
Instead of the friendly, they had an intra-squad scrimmage. Dynamo lost.
KCup17
AG
We beat Austin FC 3-2 in La Copita today
Onceaggie2.0
KCup17 said:

We beat Austin FC 3-2 in La Copita today
La Copita? WTF

If the dynamo wins this they market it as a big deal and print shirts.
KCup17
AG
It's a preseason tournament with Austin FC, FC Dallas, us and San Antonio FC.
oh no
AG
KCup17 said:

It's a preseason tournament with Austin FC, FC Dallas, us and San Antonio FC.
Austin Bold continues to get zero respect
KCup17
AG
oh no
AG
https://www.austinboldfc.com/
KCup17
AG
I know. im just messing
oh no
AG
yeah me too.. but it is funny how no one really bats an eye about San Antonio FC, yet no one has ever heard of Austin Bold FC.. both competing in USL.
KCup17
AG
I know some of my friends from SA actually support SAFC but I rarely hear about them. After some research I learned that Austin Bold only started in 2019 and practically has been swallowed up by Austin FC.
oh no
AG
Anyone watching v Earthquakes? I noticed a goal was disallowed but I hadn't turned it on yet
Out in Left Field
AG
Memo!
oh no
AG
Nice goal
oh no
AG
Niice
jeffk
AG
They are playing suspiciously well. Seems like a trap.
AG@RICE
AG
Got free tickets via a friend for last night's game. It was really really really awesome to be at a live sporting event. The team played incredible and I would certainly go back (even though beer choices are weak).

I was absolutely mesmerized by Boniek playing CB. He was really good and constantly disrupted San Jose with his anticipation. Really professional showing from him and probably the MOTM for me.
Dre_00
36 years old. Rotation player (at best). Seamlessly (and willingly) steps into an unfamiliar position on opening day and plays very well.
AG@RICE
AG
Dre_00 said:

36 years old. Rotation player (at best). Seamlessly (and willingly) steps into an unfamiliar position on opening day and plays very well.

Don't forget the measurables...5 foot 9 and about a buck sixty soaking wet.
KCup17
AG
My expectations have already been exceeded this season. Everything else is just icing on the cake at this point
KCup17
AG
Reports out of Europe are that we are linked to Uly Llanez. Bright USMNT prospect who hasnt impressed on loan at SC Heerenveen. Is interested with linking back up with Tab Ramos who was his coach with the Youth National team.
oh no
AG
seems like Uly should try to stay in Europe. I thought he was doing really well at first out there. ..but he would be fantastic for the Dynamo.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.