Austin FC 2021 Season Thread

30,969 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fig96
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got a season coming y'all!

Let's gooooooo...
fig96
AG
Unlike most MLS clubs this will actually be a really interesting time as we'll see the roster built over the next few months. Five players were added during the half day trade window and the expansion draft list comes out later today.

No one especially of note added in the half day window though a few interesting pickups, Nick Lima is probably the most accomplished with 9 US caps.

Ferg
Any idea or even guesses as to which TV station the home games will be on?
AgRyan04
Expansion draft results....

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1338989756550668291/photo/1
fig96
AG
Haven't heard anything on tv yet, I'd assume a local station but I genuinely don't know what the local stations are here
fig96
AG
Minus one trade. I like the Corona pick a lot and seems like Hoesen has some potential.

Ferg
fig96 said:

Haven't heard anything on tv yet, I'd assume a local station but I genuinely don't know what the local stations are here
The worst would be the local fox affiliate. They have a weak signal.

I'm hoping CW or KBVO which i can get with an antenna in 1080.

(Not that i can't stream fox, but I'd like the option to go antenna between College Football seasons if i wish)
lamivudine
SOmos listas!!! LOL
512Ag
AG
I haven't followed MLS until the team came to town, and I definitely don't know many of the players in the league...Are any of these guys good, or will we be Ted Lasso's AFC Richmond of the MLS?
fig96
AG
Several are really solid quality. Joe Corona has 20+ appearances with the US national team and Nick Lima is one of the better defenders in MLS. A few of the others are at least solid MLS players, and a few are younger guys that look promising.

We also just made a big signing.
fig96
AG
Just announced that we've signed Alex Ring, NYCFC captain and MLS All Star in 2018. Really good quality player.

AgRyan04
Signed defender Johan Romana and midfielder Hector Jimenez,

And rumors are that the club did not come to terms with Corona.
Ferg
Signed Goalkeeper Brad Stuver.
CedarAg
I'm going to join y'all on this ride. I don't know much about MLS but cannot wait to get into my hometown team. Listo!
fig96
AG
Welcome aboard! Feel free to ask about anything you're curious about.

Had one other big signing last week, another goalkeeper who I'd bet on being our opening day starter. Definitely the most experience on the roster:

CedarAg
Hey, thanks Fig. I'm sure I'll have questions as we get going. I passively followed Orlando's team since they were once an Austin team. I mostly follow Man U for the past 20 years, but want to really get into Austin FC since it is my local team. I've waited a long time to have an Austin professional team in something. I didn't grow up playing soccer because it wasn't popular around here back in the day, but I've grown to love it.
JW
AG
What youth system are they building? Will it rival dallas.
jeffk
AG
It already rivals the Dynamo's.
fig96
AG
Dallas has the best academy system in MLS so that's a tall order, but by putting Claudio Reyna in charge of personnel they're taking a step in the right direction.

I actually know the academy coach (former MLS player), they've now got 3 teams who have been very competitive and all finished with winning seasons. Details on the season here if anyone is interested.
CedarAg
fig96 said:

Dallas has the best academy system in MLS so that's a tall order, but by putting Claudio Reyna in charge of personnel they're taking a step in the right direction.

I actually know the academy coach (former MLS player), they've now got 3 teams who have been very competitive and all finished with winning seasons. Details on the season here if anyone is interested.
I see that the academy system played in the all-Texas division of MLS NEXT. How does the talent in Texas stack up compared to the rest of the country? Can we home grow a talent pipeline to put our teams at the top of MLS?
fig96
AG
So sort of two different things there.

There's absolutely world class talent in Texas, we have some of the most developed youth programs in the country with a massive population playing soccer and we produce tons of college and professional players. The FC Dallas academy has produced several young players that have gone on to play in Europe, and they've got more regular players from their academy than any other team in the league (12 on their roster in 2020).

On the other hand, the percentage of academy players overall that play in MLS isn't huge, most teams only have a handful of "homegrown" players from their academy (average is 4-5 players on a 30 player roster). Most players will come from intraleague trades/free agents and acquisitions from leagues in other countries with a handful added in the draft.

But all that being said, I don't think Austin has quite as developed a soccer culture as cities like Dallas and Houston do, so I think there's definitely an opportunity to become the program to play for in the area and develop young players to move into the first team or at least go on to play in college.
CedarAg
Yeah, I get it. I didn't mean to imply we could fill a team with only local talent. Was thinking more along the lines of developing a local talent to be a great Austin FC player. Thinking like how Manchester United found Marcus Rashford as a youth and developed him to be a star.
fig96
AG
Can definitely happen, just has to be the right mix of player and coach. Though unfortunately for the club, if a player in MLS is young and really good they'll most likely be headed off to Europe sooner than later.
fig96
AG
This signing could be huge. ***undez had 13 goals one season early in his career and scored 9 as recently as 2018, and he's still really young at only 25.

He's fallen a bit out of favor in New England and hasn't gotten as many minutes the past season or two, could be a situation where a change of scenery pays off big. Fingers crossed.

CedarAg
New team new beginnings for this new guy. Hopefully this is just what he needs. Sounds like he was productive a couple years ago.
jeffk
AG
Wow. They signed Besler too.

jeffk
AG
The "Matt is Verde" repeating tagline makes me laugh for some reason. Sounds like we're taunting him for some unknown elementary school mishap.
fig96
AG
That's hilarious.

But for sure, really solid signing and with the added bonus of making SKC worse This team is starting to have some real potential, now we just need to have a season.
fig96
AG
More details on Besler for anyone not familiar, he was a national team regular and made the US World Cup squad in 2014. He's a little older at 33 but still one of the better centerbacks in MLS, great addition as far as experience and leadership.

jeffk
AG
Lol. This is incredible.

CedarAg
jeffk said:

Lol. This is incredible.

Love it! Besler coming in hot. He is one I remember from the USMNT. Cannot wait to get this thing kicked off. Wishing I would have bought season tickets when I had the chance. Kicking myself for not doing it.
Sugarwater
Love it! Besler is a vet that will help this team.

Being new to Austin (2.5 years), I already feel more affinity for AustinFC than I do for FCDallas (longterm in Dallas). Other than rooting for Manchester United, I am an MLS homer for sure. I can't wait for AustinFC to start playing, especially since the stadium is just 5 minutes away from me.

Do you want to sell sugar water the rest of your life or change the world?
Mike Elko
AG
SuperDraft at 1:00. Sounds like Mayaka will go #1.
CedarAg
We got two first round picks today. 1 and 11. Hopefully we build a future today.
fig96
AG
The Superdraft is usually pretty hit or miss, but with the #1 pick you'd hope we're getting a player who can slot in as an early contributor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.