Big 6 about to make a power move

1,469 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by byfLuger41
PascalsWager
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

United and Liverpool have drawn up a proposal to change various aspects of the sport including:
  • Reducing the Premier League from 20 teams to 18
  • Eliminating the EFL Cup and the Community Shield match
  • Changing the voting structure of the Premier League
  • Modifying the funding models for the English Football League and Football Association
  • 25 percent of Premier League and EFL revenue going to EFL clubs
  • 100 million pound gift to the FA

The farce is up. No one cares about Bristol Rovers or Stevenage. It should just be a 6 team permanent franchise league where the London Blue Cannons meet the Manchester Blue Devils in the Playoff Grand Championship.

Link
TXAggie2011
AG
No thank you
wangus12
AG
I don't see anyway the rest of the league let's it happen. Huge mistake if they do
AustinScubaAg
AG
They need to take a winter break instead of cramming bunch of games in around Christmas. Every year at least one contender is knocked out that stretch due to injury. I could get behind an 18 team league to fix that.

The rest is BS except for the. Community shield which no one cares about.
wangus12
AG
Arsenal have 10 games in December. Its gonna be rough
deadbq03
AG
No dog in the fight here, but with the exception of the voting rights junk, everything else seems like it'd be beneficial.

And man, the relegation/promotion playoff idea sounds like a lot of fun.
TXAggie2011
AG
The playoff sounds fun, but would be a formidable added barrier to teams trying to reach the Premier League. Since the Bundesliga re-instituted their playoff, the 2nd division team has only won promotion 2 out of 11 tries. (Granted, they play a home-and-home.)

I'm just cynical about the intent; increasingly so the more I see people-in-the-know suggesting this is a step towards more inter-continental competition for the big clubs. Everyone else gets fewer games, fewer opportunities, and the big clubs fill their schedules up again, except with even more long travel.

As for the EFL Cup, get rid of the home-and-home semifinal permanently. OK. Otherwise, the large clubs largely play younger guys so I don't view it as a back-breaker. Keep giving those smaller clubs a chance to host and play against the elites.
ChipFTAC01
AG
As a Liverpool fan I'm firmly opposed to this. There's already a shocking lack of parity in the league and I don't want to see the elites get eliter. I don't advocate for an American style socializing/ field leveling, but I hate that there's only about 12 clubs in Europe who really matter. England is lucky their top tier is 6 and not 2 but I'd rather it be 15 than 6.
DeangeloVickers
AG
And to even try to make this happen during Covid is even worse
Furlock Bones
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

And to even try to make this happen during Covid is even worse
it's exactly why they are making this move now. COVID gave them the opening to lean on the other squads.

today the rumor mill is saying ManU and Liverpool have told them accept the deal or they are taking their ball and going home.
Furlock Bones
AG
and just as i write this, it seems the deal is falling apart.

TXAggie2011
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Good. I hope they're embarrassed.
Furlock Bones
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Good. I hope they're embarrassed.
this is no doubt just the first salvo. they want more of the money and more of the power. i'm sure they will get it eventually.
Smokedraw01
Just wait until the closed European Super League is created and none of this matters.
byfLuger41
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

The rest is BS except for the. Community shield which no one cares about.

Hey now, stop with the backhanded Gunners slam.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.