****Bundesliga 2020/21 Season Thread****

7,423 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by deadbq03
Legal Custodian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1st match of the season is going on right now!

Bayern vs FC Schalke

1-0 Bayern
15'

Mia San Mia!!
PascalsWager
AG
Bayern Munich II (the Bayern JV team) finished 1st in 3. Liga (the German third division). They'd probably be IN the bundesliga finishing top 7 if league rules allowed it.

The Bundesliga is the least ambitious of the big 5 leagues. The purpose of televised, professional sports in Germany appears to be something other than winning. As such, I cannot recommend it as an entertainment product.

As long as the 50+1 rules exists, I won't watch this farce and neither should you!
jeffk
Legal Custodian
AG
Reyna with a goal today
deadbq03
AG
Thanks for starting a thread. A couple years ago I made a promise I would never start a thread for my club or league but I'm glad someone else started a league thread for me to post on.
deadbq03
AG
Leipzig up 2-0 over Mainz at the half. So nice seeing and hearing real fans again!
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

Leipzig up 2-0 over Mainz at the half. So nice seeing and hearing real fans again!

I can't watch, how's Tyler Adam's doing?
deadbq03
AG
Legal Custodian said:

deadbq03 said:

I can't watch, how's Tyler Adam's doing?
He had a really good game, especially in the first half. Physically he's playing better than I've ever seen him play for Leipzig over the past two weeks, although the opponents were sub par so a bit hard to judge fairly. But what I really like to see is the mental side of his game. Last week they trusted him to play an exciting hybrid middle CB role in a back 3... I've never watched an old-school libero/sweeper but I imagine it looking similar to how he played last week. Nagelsmann called him the team's "quarterback" and he basically played deep and swept up a lot of long, desperate clearances and then played them forward masterfully, winning MOTM in the new role.

Today he was back in midfield and he directs a lot of traffic when they play out from the back, frequently showing the defenders where they need to pass the ball instead of just passing to him as the easy option.

Two weeks in a row playing the full 90. I think it's safe to say he's finally fully fit after over a year of nagging injuries.

A few of last year's regular starters didn't play today, so it'll be interesting to see how regularly Adams gets starts when these guys get healthy again (Laimer in particular plays like Adams and started more last year), but if he keeps playing like he has the past two weeks, it'll be hard to exclude him.
Legal Custodian
AG
Man, Haaland is so good. Reyna with two assists too
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm sorry, Reyna has 3 assists.
deadbq03
AG
Tyler Adams not in the lineup today. Listed as a back injury.
deadbq03
AG
Man. Schalke are trash. 3-0 Leipzig at the half, so I'm happy about that but man it's sad to watch how bad Schalke are. Really glad McKinney moved on to greener pastures.
tremble
AG
Have to be pretty excited with this batch of young USMNT players in Europe. I'm normally a LaLiga guy (mom is from Madrid) but Marca is covering Reyna's rise recently and speaking very highly of him.
deadbq03
AG
I've been holding back on posting this, but just have to share. It was sheer joy seeing this live yesterday.

Poulsen subs in, announcers are still talking about him and what he'll bring to the game and this is his first touch:

Legal Custodian
AG
Weird note, Werder Bremen's last 5 Bundesliga results have ended in a 1-1 draw. Crazy turnaround for them after barely escaping relegation last year.

They might be a little smoke and mirrors however as they've only played 1 team in the top half of the table. They're currently sitting in the middle of the table with 11 points with a GD of 0. With the way Cologne, Mainz and Schalke are playing, I don't think they are in danger this year but will definitely be curious to see where they end up. I say probably around 11-13th.
Legal Custodian
AG
On another note, Bayern is having the injury bug bite them right now. This would be the time for Dortmund to make a move. Sure could use a winter break this year.
deadbq03
AG
Leipzig are riddled with injuries too, especially on defense.

I think the teams that went deep in CL/EL in August will struggle to stay healthy this year.
Legal Custodian
AG
Stuttgart destroyed bvb
Legal Custodian
AG
Defense for Bayern is reading its ugly head. Union should have about 3 goals right now. Although Gnabry should have one too but had a horrible touch
deadbq03
AG
I missed the first 30 mins but Bayern were lucky to draw IMO. And the Dortmund result is astonishing.

If Leverkusen win tomorrow, which is likely, then they go to the top of the league.
deadbq03
AG
Leipzig in a disappointing draw against Koeln. So many blown chances. At least Tyler Adams got a start and was fastest man on the pitch today.

With the Leipzig draw and both Dortmund and Gladbach losing, this Leverkusen-Bayern match is massive. Sadly it's happening during Aggie Football or I'd be watching for sure and hoping for a draw.

Edit to add: So close to having a draw. Congrats Bayern fans.
Legal Custodian
AG
I know this isn't bundesliga news, but Bayern just lost in the DFB Pokal in penalty kicks to.....Holstein Kiel....
deadbq03
deadbq03
AG
My turn. Leipzig lose to bottom-feeder Mainz.

Been on a bad run of form recently. Hope it can turn around.
Legal Custodian
AG
deadbq03 said:

My turn. Leipzig lose to bottom-feeder Mainz.

Been on a bad run of form recently. Hope it can turn around.
What do you think of Nagelsmann? Saw that Chelsea had reached out to him but he turned it down.
deadbq03
AG
I like him. But I like Jesse Marsch better, if you catch my drift.

In my mind, Nagelsmann is gone this summer. It's a question of where, not if or when. The door wasn't shut on Chelsea - it was simply a "wait till the summer." Supposedly Real Madrid want him as well.

Honestly though I think our run of bad form is due in part to the fact that we have two star players (Upamecano and Sabitzer) who are virtually guaranteed to be poached this summer, and now Nagelsmann is probably in that camp too.

I'm not worried about losing him. Leipzig have had 3 different coaches in the last 4 years. The common denominator is the organizational vision. For all the flack they get for being backed by Red Bull money, they're growing this team sustainably. They're not going to throw money at Keita or Werner (or Upamecano or Sabitzer this summer). They're going to let them go and reap a huge profit from the transfer. And then they'll go out and sign more young studs. At some point in the next 10 years, I see that changing, but they're not going to rush things and go deep in the red.
deadbq03
AG
Legal Custodian
AG
I would like for Flick to stay. But yeah, it's looking like Low has got to be out pretty soon.
deadbq03
AG
You're probably safe. Bayern pays better than the DFB. Still fun tweet. I love all those coaches.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=4319985

This goal by Haaland. Wow.
Rudyjax
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=4319985

This goal by Haaland. Wow.
He's going to be one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Watch him. Every time they have a scoring opportunity and they don't score, he's pissed. I mean livid. And that's why he's so great.
deadbq03
AG
Nice to see you posting here again. Hope that means things are slowing down at work.
Legal Custodian
AG
Bayern with the domination of Lazio today. Musiala with the goal. The 17yr old turns 18 in two days and will get a new contract. CBS sports also is suggesting he's about to pick Germany as his senior team. Real interested to see his development.
Rudyjax
AG
Reyna missed a goal because of a quick whistle.

Sancho scored on a PK after.

Sancho also becasme the youngest in the Bundasleiga history to 50 asssits.
deadbq03
AG
Leipzig may have had a season-defining 2nd half against Gladbach - coming back from 0-2 to win 3-2. The 2nd half was the best I've seen them look all year. Total domination the whole half to get a key comeback win and stay within 2 pts of Bayern.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.