2020 Schedule is Out

14,067 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by blake2003
HiddenAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if anyone else posted, but the 2020 schedule is out. 8 non-conference games with 3 teams that reached the NCAA tourney last year, including tough matchups with Oklahoma St and BYU. An opening road trip to Ohio St (who will be improved) and Illinois will be a nice test for a rebuilding A&M squad. Hawaii and Houston should be easy wins at home though. TCU is always tough and surprisingly Baylor has made a reappearance on the schedule after banning them for many years for physical play. At least it's a home game. I had forgotten how poor the SEC was last year with only 3 games against tourney teams, although we finally draw both South Carolina and Florida in the same season again, both at home. It will be interesting to see if Arkansas can maintain their quality from last year. The road schedule is not that tough with only Arkansas and Tennessee as really difficult opponents.

This is the first season that I can remember that I can't really get a read on how good A&M will be on the field. There are some pieces, young talent, and several transfers that make it really hard to project. For me the GK position is the biggest concern going into the season, followed by whom will be the go-to offensive player to ease the huge loss of Watt. Probably a realistic goal is to make the tourney and keep the streak intact.

Aug 07 SFA (Exhibition)
Aug 20 at Ohio State (4-10-4)
Aug 23 at Illinois (9-8-1)
Aug 28 Hawaii (9-15)
Aug 30 Houston (6-14)
Sep 04 at Oklahoma St (16-3-3, NCAA 2nd Rd)
Sep 09 BYU (21-1-1, NCAA Elite 8)
Sep 13 TCU (11-8-3, NCAA 1st Rd)
Sep 18 at Tennessee (9-6-3)
Sep 20 Baylor (8-8-3)
Sep 24 LSU (3-12-3)
Sep 27 Mississippi St (8-8-3)
Oct 02 at Ole Miss (10-7-3)
Oct 08 at Arkansas (17-4-2, NCAA 2nd Rd)
Oct 11 Auburn (7-10-2)
Oct 16 South Carolina (19-2-3, NCAA Elite 8)
Oct 22 at Alabama (10-7-3)
Oct 25 at Georgia (8-7-4)
Oct 29 Florida (11-9-1, NCAA 1st Rd)
redd38
AG
That's a good home schedule. Hate seeing Baylor on the list though.

I'm guessing were gonna look really rough early in the semester, no spring season doesn't give much insight into the freshmen though, so who knows. I agree that keeper is still a big question mark.
Expert Analysis
AG
Really good home schedule.
Ticket renewals start Tuesday.
HiddenAg2
It is a very good home schedule, no doubt.
CDub06
AG
Finally something to look forward to
Diego
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

Not sure if anyone else posted, but the 2020 schedule is out. 8 non-conference games with 3 teams that reached the NCAA tourney last year, including tough matchups with Oklahoma St and BYU. An opening road trip to Ohio St (who will be improved) and Illinois will be a nice test for a rebuilding A&M squad. Hawaii and Houston should be easy wins at home though. TCU is always tough and surprisingly Baylor has made a reappearance on the schedule after banning them for many years for physical play. At least it's a home game. I had forgotten how poor the SEC was last year with only 3 games against tourney teams, although we finally draw both South Carolina and Florida in the same season again, both at home. It will be interesting to see if Arkansas can maintain their quality from last year. The road schedule is not that tough with only Arkansas and Tennessee as really difficult opponents.

This is the first season that I can remember that I can't really get a read on how good A&M will be on the field. There are some pieces, young talent, and several transfers that make it really hard to project. For me the GK position is the biggest concern going into the season, followed by whom will be the go-to offensive player to ease the huge loss of Watt. Probably a realistic goal is to make the tourney and keep the streak intact.

Aug 07 SFA (Exhibition)
Aug 20 at Ohio State (4-10-4)
Aug 23 at Illinois (9-8-1)
Aug 28 Hawaii (9-15)
Aug 30 Houston (6-14)
Sep 04 at Oklahoma St (16-3-3, NCAA 2nd Rd)
Sep 09 BYU (21-1-1, NCAA Elite 8)
Sep 13 TCU (11-8-3, NCAA 1st Rd)
Sep 18 at Tennessee (9-6-3)
Sep 20 Baylor (8-8-3)
Sep 24 LSU (3-12-3)
Sep 27 Mississippi St (8-8-3)
Oct 02 at Ole Miss (10-7-3)
Oct 08 at Arkansas (17-4-2, NCAA 2nd Rd)
Oct 11 Auburn (7-10-2)
Oct 16 South Carolina (19-2-3, NCAA Elite 8)
Oct 22 at Alabama (10-7-3)
Oct 25 at Georgia (8-7-4)
Oct 29 Florida (11-9-1, NCAA 1st Rd)
BTHO e'erbody!
mullokmotx
AG
We hosted Ohio State last year and Illinois in 2016 so those games are probably a reciprocal trip for their visits.
We only play 19 games and I wonder if it was harder to find opponents with schools trying to save money on travel.
The past couple of years conference teams did not play 2 conference games at home on a weekend or play 2 road games on a weekend. We host LSU and MSU the same weekend and then play at Georgia and at Alabama the same weekend.
We have 3 seniors who could be playing professionally in 2021 and G has been a good developer of keepers. Hopefully Karlina Sample and Kendall Bates will be back from their injuries.
To me the big game is with UT since we have only beaten them 1 time since we joined the SEC.
mullokmotx
AG
I listened to the Off The Pitch podcast with Katie Smith. She said the coaches wanted her to work on playing center back. After the interview with Katie, G came on. He said the first formal practice would be August 4. Also said he expects the whole team to be here by July 1. The TAMU calender says the 2nd summer session starts June 30.
CDub06
AG
Time to renew. Hoping everything shakes out to allow us to have our season.
tamufan
Bump
Diego
AG
CDub06 said:

Time to renew. Hoping everything shakes out to allow us to have our season.
"The Virus is Still Winning. Sports May Have to Wait."
Wall Street Journal, June 21, 2020

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-virus-is-still-winning-sports-may-have-to-wait-11592748000?mod=hp_lead_pos10
mullokmotx
AG
Chris Henderson of All White Kit tweeted the following yesterday: "On an NCAA WoSo related note... There are 58 days until the regular season is set to start and 291 teams have not posted a schedule. My skepticism is mounting."

Only 5 of our 19 opponents have posted a schedule on their website.
CDub06
AG
Well that's pretty concerning.
mullokmotx
AG
G was interviewed by Gabe Bock today and said the exhibition August 7 will be played without fans.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I noticed today that the exhibition on Aug 7 is no longer listed on 12thman.com. Anyone know if it was cancelled or just removed since there's no attendees? I'm assuming cancelled...

Also not a good sign that our first opponent (Ohio state) just "paused" workouts due to positive tests.
Anonymous Source
S
littlebitofhifi said:

I noticed today that the exhibition on Aug 7 is no longer listed on 12thman.com. Anyone know if it was cancelled or just removed since there's no attendees? I'm assuming cancelled...

Also not a good sign that our first opponent (Ohio state) just "paused" workouts due to positive tests.
I have it on good authority that it was taken off the online schedule because it's closed to the public. The game...for now...is still on.
Gig 'Em
littlebitofhifi
AG
Welp. Guess our first 2 matches are officially cancelled. Big Ten announces that if fall sports are held, they'll be in conference only. So Ohio St & Illinois are out.

https://bigten.org/news/2020/7/9/big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx
Diego
AG
https://texags.com/s/36474/monday-morning-mike-sec-likely-headed-for-conference-only-schedule/25

"College athletic directors are starting to become petrified about their athletic budgets because football is the big money maker. Everyone wants to play football. It looks more and more likely that the season will start in late-September or early-October. It's becoming more and more likely that basketball won't start until January, either. Women's soccer will likely get pushed back. I think everything will end up getting pushed back."
redd38
AG
Soccer can't start till September now, so that cancels a few more games.
wangus12
AG
My coworker who's daughter plays for Auburn told me her daughter has apparently attracted interest from a team in Spain and they are weighing the option of playing pro vs. staying in school (with Covid likely impacting the season)
redd38
AG
Wonder if we're gonna get a partial refund on season tickets
Expert Analysis
AG
They will have to provide refunds or other options. One game getting canceled during the season is one thing, but a chunk of the season getting eliminated needs compensation.
redd38
AG
Idk, nothing surprises me anymore. They might have to charge us extra for the time it takes for someone to remove those games from the schedule
Diego
AG

The Big East is the latest conference to go to a "conference only" schedule.
redd38
AG
We're down to just 10 SEC games and 3 Big 12 games. So going conference-only wouldn't bother me much at this point.
Expert Analysis
AG
BYU as well.
Such a good home schedule going to be wasted....
redd38
AG
Yeah, we apparently still have BYU, although that game has been removed from the schedule on 12thman.com.
mullokmotx
AG
So far I count 5 conferences not playing fall sports, Ivy, America East, Atlantic 10, Patriot and Colonial. If there is an NCAA Tournament, and more conferences don't play, I can see the tournament field shrinking. On the Off the Pitch podcast G said the first radio show is scheduled for August 18.
redd38
AG
This would have been the first (exhibition) game week
Diego
AG
CDub06
AG
I miss you.
Diego
AG
NCAA Div. 2 & 3 both cancelled fall sports championships today
redd38
AG
CDub06 said:

I miss you.
CDub06
AG
This looks awful

https://instagr.am/p/CDhlU4rlAP_
redd38
AG
Wow, I expected them to have something a little more... athletic

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.