The Athletic - Mock draft: Building three U.S. national teams from 2002-present

1,766 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Super fun article on The Athletic, three of their writers pick their USMNT roster from the total pool of USA players from 2002 to present then get Bruce Arena to comment on the squads. The caveats are that the players had to play one of their preferred positions and are assumed to be at peak career form. The top 10 picks:

1. Dempsey
2. Pulisic
3. Donovan
4. Reyna
5. Beasley
6. Pope
7. Bradley
8. Jones
9. Altidore
10. O'Brien

Arena didn't really pick a preferred team but said he could "live with" this one:

Don't want to post the entire paysite article but happy to let people know where certain players were picked if you're curious (and super happy with my sub to them for the soccer content alone, have a discount code if anyone is interested).

Full article:
https://theathletic.com/1802215/2020/05/08/mock-draft-building-three-u-s-national-teams-with-players-from-2002-present/
chjoak
AG
Agree with Arena's formation as the US has typically produced a bunch of solid CBs but weak FBs but I completely disagree with the players in that lineup. I'll compile mine in a bit.
jeffk
AG
It's pretty incredible how few above average outside defenders we've really had.
chjoak
AG
23 man tourney roster assuming all players in their prime...

GK - Friedel, Howard, Keller
CB - Pope, Onyewu, Brooks, Bocanegra, Cameron
WB - Beasley, C Jones, Stewart, Cherundolo, F Johnson
MF - Pulisic, Reyna, O'Brien, Bradley, Holden
FW - Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, McBride, J-M Moore

Starting lineup...

------------ Donovan -- Altidore --------------
--------------------- Reyna --------------------
Beasley -- O'Brien -- Bradley-- Cherundolo
------- Brooks -- Onyewu -- Pope ---------
-------------------- Friedel ----------------------

* Dempsey could easily be argued as a starter and possibly would be in some scenarios. I listed him as a backup because he always seemed to make a huge impact later in games and he has the ability to play in multiple positions (ST, W, AM).

There were several guys I wanted (Balboa, Ramos, Wynalda, etc...) that were just outside the 2002 to present criteria.
fig96
AG
Your picks aren't too far off their top 25-30 drafted, you just didn't have to draft against anyone to do it

Couple guys that went fairly early that you didn't choose: Eddie Lewis (13), Dest (15), Tyler Adams (19), Besler (22), DeMerit (23), Kljestan (24), Eddie Johnson (25)

I like your picks though, my only big criticism on your starting lineup is that you're lacking some pace in the midfield in particular. I also don't know how well suited Cherundolo is to play wingback in that formation. I'd be prone to insert Johnson there.
chjoak
AG
fig96 said:

Your picks aren't too far off their top 25-30 drafted, you just didn't have to draft against anyone to do it

Couple guys that went fairly early that you didn't choose: Eddie Lewis (13), Dest (15), Tyler Adams (19), Besler (22), DeMerit (23), Kljestan (24), Eddie Johnson (25)

I like your picks though, my only big criticism on your starting lineup is that you're lacking some pace in the midfield in particular. I also don't know how well suited Cherundolo is to play wingback in that formation. I'd be prone to insert Johnson there.
I almost snagged Lewis but wasn't sure he would fit the formation as well. I can see what you are saying RE Cherundolo and wouldn't have an issue swapping those two.

Dest & Adams are both good but I don't think either are quite good enough to call 2002-present all time yet. Those two along with McKinnie & Steffen could make a push in the next few years but they need more time.

Besler is one of the better CBs we have right now but he just has never really done it for me.

I actually liked DeMerit a good bit back in the day. You could make an argument for taking him instead of Cameron but I chose Cameron because of his versatility.

Kljestan & Johnson have had their moments but for me they fall out of that best of the best group.
fig96
AG
chjoak said:

fig96 said:

I almost snagged Lewis but wasn't sure he would fit the formation as well. I can see what you are saying RE Cherundolo and wouldn't have an issue swapping those two.

Dest & Adams are both good but I don't think either are quite good enough to call 2002-present all time yet. Those two along with McKinnie & Steffen could make a push in the next few years but they need more time.

Besler is one of the better CBs we have right now but he just has never really done it for me.

I actually liked DeMerit a good bit back in the day. You could make an argument for taking him instead of Cameron but I chose Cameron because of his versatility.

Kljestan & Johnson have had their moments but for me they fall out of that best of the best group.
I think it's tough to pass on Cameron due exactly to his versatility, you're right. I can't think of another guy in the pool who can competently play any spot in your back 7 and I would take him over DeMerit in a vaccuum, but I understand why Jay was picked as a centerback in a draft format.

Agreed on Dest and Adams, I'd be interested in them as depth but wouldn't have taken them as early as they went. I'm hoping Dest might be our next (first?) great fullback and Adams has tons of potential.

Agreed on Kljestan as well, Lewis would be a borderline take for me as a supersub depending on the rest of the roster as would Charlie Davies.
fig96
AG
chjoak said:

fig96 said:

I think it's tough to pass on Cameron due exactly to his versatility, you're right. I can't think of another guy in the pool who can competently play any spot in your back 7 and I would take him over DeMerit in a vaccuum, but I understand why Jay was picked as a centerback in a draft format.

Agreed on Dest and Adams, I'd be interested in them as depth but wouldn't have taken them as early as they went. I'm hoping Dest might be our next (first?) great fullback and Adams has tons of potential.

Agreed on Kljestan as well, Lewis would be a borderline take for me as a supersub depending on the rest of the roster as would Charlie Davies.
chjoak
AG
Forgot about Charlie. He was a handful before his injury. I may take him in place of Joe-Max.
PatAg
AG
I cant belive they picked Altidore over McBride
chjoak
AG
McBride had a better career but Altidore in his prime was better than McBride. Unfortunately for him and us, his prime didn't last very long
MookieBlaylock
AG
Beasley and altidore over Dempsey

Oh boy might as well play mark rapinoe
mrmill3218
AG
People saying Altidore is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. The guy hasn't scored a meaningful goal for his country in over ten years. McBride is worlds better than him. I will never understand the fascination with Jozy.
fig96
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Beasley and altidore over Dempsey

Oh boy might as well play mark rapinoe
Umm...Dempsey was the first pick.
fig96
AG
chjoak said:

McBride had a better career but Altidore in his prime was better than McBride. Unfortunately for him and us, his prime didn't last very long
How do you figure? McBride put up 30+ goals and had a 10 goal season in the Premiership. Jozy never put up meaningful numbers in any league higher than the Eredivisie.
MookieBlaylock
AG
chjoak said:

23 man tourney roster assuming all players in their prime...

GK - Friedel, Howard, Keller
CB - Pope, Onyewu, Brooks, Bocanegra, Cameron
WB - Beasley, C Jones, Stewart, Cherundolo, F Johnson
MF - Pulisic, Reyna, O'Brien, Bradley, Holden
FW - Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, McBride, J-M Moore

Starting lineup...

------------ Donovan -- Altidore --------------
--------------------- Reyna --------------------
Beasley -- O'Brien -- Bradley-- Cherundolo
------- Brooks -- Onyewu -- Pope ---------
-------------------- Friedel ----------------------

* Dempsey could easily be argued as a starter and possibly would be in some scenarios. I listed him as a backup because he always seemed to make a huge impact later in games and he has the ability to play in multiple positions (ST, W, AM).

There were several guys I wanted (Balboa, Ramos, Wynalda, etc...) that were just outside the 2002 to present criteria.

Forgot to link this is the post I was laughing at

Good lord
chjoak
AG
Your welcome to give your own roster
chjoak
AG
fig96 said:

chjoak said:

How do you figure? McBride put up 30+ goals and had a 10 goal season in the Premiership. Jozy never put up meaningful numbers in any league higher than the Eredivisie.

McBride - 5 career double digit goal scoring seasons (3 in MLS). Best season was 19 in MLS. For the US he scored 30 in 96 caps.

Altidore - 7 career double digit goal scoring seasons (5 in MLS). Best season was 31 in Netherlands. For the US he scored 42 in 115 caps.
mrmill3218
AG
chjoak said:

fig96 said:

chjoak said:

McBride - 5 career double digit goal scoring seasons (3 in MLS). Best season was 19 in MLS. For the US he scored 30 in 96 caps.

Altidore - 7 career double digit goal scoring seasons (5 in MLS). Best season was 31 in Netherlands. For the US he scored 42 in 115 caps.

This thought is incredibly silly. McBride played in the Premier League. You can't compare a player playing in MLS with one playing in the PL. McBride scored in world cups. Jozy has not scored a meaningful goal for the US in over a decade. McBride is a better player and it's really not even close.
MookieBlaylock
AG
He has the keepers backwards as well

But dont tell him
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.