The Athletic: An oral history of Landon Donovan's dramatic, World Cup-saving goal

1,717 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by captainsubtext
Jason_Ag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For anyone with a subscription to The Athletic, they have a fun read today with interviews with lots of players from the 2010 USMNT World Cup team on the group stage match against Algeria with Landon Donovan's injury-time goal:

https://theathletic.com/1784304/2020/04/30/landon-donovan-algeria-goal-oral-history/

I hadn't heard this part of the story before:

Quote:

DeMerit: So the third minute of the game, I'd got an elbow in my face, and it split my tongue in half. I had to play the whole game with basically half of my tongue hanging off, and not being able to stitch it, because it would take longer than 15 minutes and that's all we had at halftime. If you look at any of the photos from that match, I had this Kool-Aid blood mustache running around my whole mouth. I was just kind of in survival mode, but I wasn't going to come off. That's my memory of it, just kind of getting through each play, getting to the water bottle, going to the physio so he could coat my tongue in Vaseline.

The best story is that after I played 87 minutes with half a tongue, I'm now in the locker room getting my tongue stitched up five or six stitches, perpendicular to the length of my tongue and Bill Clinton comes in with a cooler full of Budweiser. Bill starts passing them out to the boys, so there I am and I can't even talk. I'm drinking Budweiser with a swollen tongue, slamming beers with Bill with my shirt off.

I was mumble talking and trying my best, but definitely enjoying the moment. For a kid from Wisconsin, drinkin' Budweiser with the president with his shirt off is so Wisconsin. I couldn't have been more proud.
Still an all-time sports moment for me.

txam92
AG
That stadium exploded when that goal was scored. One of the best sports moments ever for me.
PatAg
AG

PatAg
AG
I hope this younger batch of players gets to realize the opportunity in from of them. There is a core group that could be in 2-3 world cup runs together if it plays out like we hope.
Pahdz
This is my favorite clip out there because it shows Howard's insanely awesome throw that gets it started
Pahdz
And how can we not revisit Andres Cantor's greatest call ever. If I remember correctly, I think he and Landon are actually friends (maybe I'm making that up but I thought I read somewhere about that.)

jeffk
AG
There was an amazing angle of the buildup and the goal from behind Howard's net. It was a perfect angle to see the greatness of his throw-out. Can't seem to find it on YouTube right now though.
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
PatAg
AG
What's the upper limit on what you would pay to watch a US Group game when we host the World Cup?

$200? $500? $1000?
jeffk
AG
Yes! There it is. Thanks.
oragator
Oh to be able to have moments like this again. Together.

gig them
AG
PatAg said:

What's the upper limit on what you would pay to watch a US Group game when we host the World Cup?

$200? $500? $1000?

gig them
AG
But for real, I was fortunate enough to attend US/Colombia in '94. And I'm telling y'all... pay for this opportunity when it comes along. You won't regret it.
Bubba smollett
gig them said:

But for real, I was fortunate enough to attend US/Colombia in '94. And I'm telling y'all... pay for this opportunity when it comes along. You won't regret it.
Forget the soccer talent alone is worth going to a Colombia game.
wangus12
AG
I was in EMT school watching this match with a buddy in the back of the classroom and losing our **** when that goal went. Prof didn't care
PatAg
AG
gig them said:

PatAg said:

$200? $500? $1000?

I think I will legitimately spend any amount of money. There is little chance we will get a game near DFW, so I'll have to probably spring for a hotel and possibly airfare.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

gig them said:

PatAg said:

$200? $500? $1000?

I think I will legitimately spend any amount of money. There is little chance we will get a game near DFW, so I'll have to probably spring for a hotel and possibly airfare.
AT&T Stadium is one of the best in the world. Why don't you think we'll get one?

captainsubtext
Foxymophandlemama said:

PatAg said:

AT&T Stadium is one of the best in the world. Why don't you think we'll get one?

After having attended multiple Gold Cup games at Jerry World, count me out for it watching soccer there. Sightlines are not great and not enough room for corners.

NRG stadium was great from upper deck when watching Argentina-US in Conmebol 2016.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.