USSF ends DA program, MLS announces a replacement

5,631 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jessexy
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So it looks like US Soccer is getting out of the youth development game and MLS is stepping up to fill the void. Really conflicting feelings with this. On one hand, USSF and the DA we're pretty poorly run but I don't know how I feel about our national federation just not having any youth development initiatives either. Additionally, there's some indication that the new MLS programs may include coaching training and licensing.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2020/4/14/21221641/us-soccer-development-academy-program-set-to-be-terminated

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/04/15/major-league-soccer-leads-domestic-player-development-launch-new-elite-competition?amp&__twitter_impression=true
Onceaggie2.0
Might as well let MLS try the results for US federation have not been very good.
Mathguy64
AG
Its just another thing that US Soccer failed at. I'm struggling to find something that US Soccer hasn't failed at. At least recently.
Pahdz
haven't the results of the MLS teams that have academies been pretty good comparatively speaking? Or am I mixing two things up?
jeffk
AG
It's a mixed bag. There are some MLS clubs that have used the DA system to identify and train up some really good prospects and then there's the Dynamo...

More than anything, I'd really just like an explanation from USSF on why they're abandoning the youth development game. This new MLS-run thing is supposedly going to allow non-MLS DA clubs to join and compete, but I have no idea how this will differ from how things were run under the fed system.

Here's a good article from our friends at SI with some more details. Still a lot unknown at this point though. https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/04/16/us-soccer-development-academy-closing-mls-youth-future?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=si-soccer&xid=socialflow_twitter_si
02skiag
AG
On the girls side I would bet it goes back to ECNL only. Several clubs were already leaving DA to go back to ECNL before the announcement.
rebag00
AG
jeffk said:

It's a mixed bag. There are some MLS clubs that have used the DA system to identify and train up some really good prospects and then there's the Dynamo...

More than anything, I'd really just like an explanation from USSF on why they're abandoning the youth development game. This new MLS-run thing is supposedly going to allow non-MLS DA clubs to join and compete, but I have no idea how this will differ from how things were run under the fed system.

Here's a good article from our friends at SI with some more details. Still a lot unknown at this point though. https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/04/16/us-soccer-development-academy-closing-mls-youth-future?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=si-soccer&xid=socialflow_twitter_si
I have seen it messaged as a cost cutting move, USSF didn't want to keep it open due to the cost and lack of certainty over the coming season. USSF didn't give a specific reason in their announcement, citing challenging times.

On the girls side at least, it appears some of the big clubs gave it a shot and decided for all its drawbacks it wasn't any better than ECNL and were planning on coming back to ECNL prior to the shut down. I had heard this from multiple sources at DA clubs in DFW back in January.
Pahdz
jeffk said:

and then there's the Dynamo...
Yeah, i meant to put "(except the Dynamo)" in my post
jeffk
Smokedraw01
If USL gets involved as well, could this tie USL and MlS closer together?
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
swc93
AG
Sounds like at the end of the day all this will be is a name change with some new patches and kits. Too much parent $$$ to just leave on the table.
jeffk
AG
Word is that MLS has contacted Jay Berhalter (yes, that one) about serving as a consultant as they kickstart their YD league.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Had friends whose daughter was in it... damn
vwbug
swc93 said:

Sounds like at the end of the day all this will be is a name change with some new patches and kits. Too much parent $$$ to just leave on the table.
Correct.
carl spacklers hat
We will see what MLS can cook up as a replacement for the DA. If they are serious about trying to find a suitable alternative, I hope the folks that are in the decision-making process take into account how unaffordable the DA was in its final itteration. Youth sports teams traveling 2,000 miles for match play is unsustainable. My guess is that US Soccer saw that and took advantage of the situation (crappy way to do it but how else should they go about the inevitable? Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off and suck it up). Just as the travel was unsustainable, I also hope they take a look at training fees and program accessiblity. I know a number of MLS Academies (maybe all of them, not sure) were either fully or mostly funded by the pro team but the independent Clubs don't have Adidas or Nike money to throw at Academy programs. As a result, you see massive annual training fees which keep a lot of quality off the field because they cannot afford the fees associated with playing top-fllight youth soccer in the US.
oh no
AG
for women/girls, I think the DA was pretty new and the clubs participating and their talent will likely just go back to ECNL, which i think was just as competitive. This deal may actually help get the most talent in the same format rather than high end talent split between ECNL and DA. Easier for USSF to now only scout talent at the ENCL tournaments/show-cases and ODP events anyway.

for men/boys, i imagine this helps USSF cut costs significantly. rather than running this whole nation-wide system of league play, show cases, etc. themselves, USSF can just scout the MLS academies, which theoretically the professional academies are already scouting the top talent in every area anyway. USSF can stop wasting so much time on the couple hundred pay-for-play clubs that have DA teams. Just to make sure no one is slipping through cracks, as MLS professional academies are not going to get everyone based on geography or other reasons, they can still scout players for their pools at boys ECNL, and USYS ODP and National League events, which maybe the MLS academies will be involved in those as well.

I think there's significant risk that men's soccer in the USA continues to deteriorate. No more DA, and with title IX, mens scholarships are about to be extinct for soccer, combined already with the high cost of pay to play club soccer and the pro academies only taking players who are already ahead in their development, meaning that everyone needed pay-to-play clubs early on just to get to the pro academy... Further, the MLS and USL professional academies do NOT have USSF's best interest in mind like DA did, even if they a better job of developing talent. The MLS and USL academies may bring in a lot of foreign talent and/or a lot of the top talent they bring in are not US eligible. There could be bright spots if clubs like FC Dallas continue developing American youth and promoting home-grown talent to the first team in MLS as well as exporting talent to Europe.

I think it's sad overall that the DA is gone, but we'll see what comes out of it. My son played in DA for a year and he was proud to wear that patch, but his club had no business driving from Houston to Frisco to get whipped by a pro academy in FC Dallas.
captainsubtext
It will be interesting to see how this will work out. If MLS academy teams play other competitive teams won't that ensue a lot of travel. Will USL teams step up to affiliate with successful non-mls clubs?

Not all MLS teams funded their academy with free play and travel. Will fewer do that now with financial difficulties?

And what happens to players not deemed good enough by MLS scouts/coaches, but are just wrong in their talent evaluation. DA had an outlet where a player could prove himself.

Case in point. Chris Richards goes from Alabama ODP to try out at FC Dallas and is cut. Told he's not good enough. He goes to non-MLS Houston DA team gets moved up to U18s and team wins National Championship over FC Dallas and other MLS teams. He's then good enough for FCD and then is good enough for Bayern Munich.

It this were to happen next year, does a kid like that get to prove how good he is when playing in ECNL, competitive or HS leagues?

ECNL is clearly pay to play, how do the poorer kids get to play and get seen.
jessexy
AG
just for the record, Chris Richards was not cut by FCD. There were some logistical issues that prevented him from joining the Academy immediately and Houston was a better option. FCD had already accepted some players from out of town (and even from Birmingham) into their Academy program, so that wasn't a new thing. Brandon Servania is from Birmingham and on the pro team right now for FCD after coming thru the Academy program. Talent for Chris wasn't an issue either.

FWIW, Texans SC was coached by a former FCD player at the time and beat FCD on the way to a national championship. That coach is now employed by FCD as the North Texas SC head coach.
oh no
AG
which coach? Johann?
rebag00
AG
Possibly new fallout from this decision - Galaxy close their all girls training academy.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/story/2020-05-05/galaxy-shut-down-elite-girls-soccer-academy
captainsubtext
Quote:

Luchi let him tryout, but Chris didn't make the team. I remember that phone call and how heartbroken he was. Picking him up from the airport, he was crushed. It was hard for us, too, because it was the first time a door had been closed. Everything had been easy to that point. He had always made every team he wanted to make. He was a good player, a good student. It just didn't work out.
When one door closes, though, another opens. Chris's determination would be rewarded soon enough, but from an unexpected source. His mother remembered the incredible opportunity that followed the tryout for FC Dallas:
Quote:

One of his ODP coaches mentioned to [Texans SC coach] Eric Quill that he had a kid that Eric might want to take a look at, because Eric was looking to add players to his team in Houston. I don't think it was even a week [after the tryout in Dallas] later that Eric Quill called and said "I heard about your son." I don't think he even knew Chris had gone to Dallas, and he basically said he would like Chris to move to Houston and live with a host family and play for his team.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/2/4/18196866/bayern-munich-chris-richards-fc-dallas-transfer-youth-soccer-luchi-gonzalez-brandon-servania
carl spacklers hat
Still no actionables from the MLS League discussions. Was told we would see something by Wednesday but nothing yet (items such as League structure, fees, travel, coaching requirements, etc.). Probably accounts for the jump to ECNL by so many Clubs - go where you know what's going on or wait for something totally uncertain.
oh no
AG
i heard some clubs that had a DA but no ECNL are now expecting/hoping to add MLS academy league teams (if invited) and ECNL if admitted.
carl spacklers hat
That should be interesting. Clubs in the defunct DA had to commit to 3 teams but teams in ECNL have to commit to 6. If a club wan't already in ECNL, how is a club going to take on the expense of both?

We did our cost analysis to join ECNL and it came out to roughly $7,500 per player for travel and training. I'm predicting that the MLS League will be at least that if not more. So a club will now field 9 teams, with costs per player of $7,500 (and assuming 18 players per team) for the low low price of $1,215,000 per year! Is it any wonder why U.S. soccer lags the rest of the world? Those sums are unsustainable, and unless all fees and travel expenses are waived, completely shuts out a huge potential pool of talent because it is too expensive to participate.
jeffk
AG
Saw and article today about the new league the Dash Academy is joining. No prohibition on players playing for both their local HS and academy teams.
oh no
AG
yeah; ex DA players, whether now playing in whatever new league MLS academies put together, or ECNL, or some league within US Youth Soccer or US Club Soccer, will now finally be allowed to play in extra things like ODP and high school teams.
Smokedraw01
Is ECNL going to expand? My daughter's club was trying to find a way to move into ECNL in the next few years and now it seems like it is going to happen this season?
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
jeffk
AG
The 95 founding clubs of the new MLS DA replacement league were announced today - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/05/13/mls-elite-youth-development-platform?utm_source=twitter_mls_bd95eee6-aba1-40d3-a42d-be6c62f42e7c&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

From Texas there's:

Austin FC
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
RGV FC Toros Academy
RISE Soccer Club
San Antonio FC
Solar Soccer Club

aggivedave16
jeffk said:

The 95 founding clubs of the new MLS DA replacement league were announced today - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/05/13/mls-elite-youth-development-platform?utm_source=twitter_mls_bd95eee6-aba1-40d3-a42d-be6c62f42e7c&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=unpaid

From Texas there's:

Austin FC
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
RGV FC Toros Academy
RISE Soccer Club
San Antonio FC
Solar Soccer Club

With the exception of FC Dallas, these are all 2nd tier clubs. Looks like most have reverted back to the ECNL.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

From Texas there's:

Austin FC
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
RGV FC Toros Academy
RISE Soccer Club
San Antonio FC
Solar Soccer Club

seems a bit ridiculous at the disparity between California and the north east coast and the rest of of the country

Which is basically continuing the same problem we have had for years, talent scouting.
Wrighty
AG
How will it be any different than the DA? Is this the least exciting "new league" ever?
jeffk
AG
I don't think I expected it to be a ton different than the DA was under USSF. The biggest departure I've seen so far is that some of the new replacement leagues aren't going to have a ban on their players also competing in for their HS team.
oh no
AG
For Texas, it's just DA 2.0 minus a couple clubs like Lonestar, Dallas Texans, and dynamo dash youth
tysker
AG
Solar has been one of the best programs for girls in NTX for a decade or so now. The boys program has really come up lately but lots of their success can be attributed to a couple of teams that played together from u12-u19 and did well in national tournaments. (But an argument exists that that those teams did well because the best players didnt have a team, like a USL or MLS affiliated team, to be promoted to.)
PatAg
AG
Solar was a power club team before FC Dallas essentially borrowed the Dallas Texans as their club team on the boys side.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.