MLS Year One - ESPN Article

1,663 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgGrad99
TheMasterplan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pretty great article about the history behind starting MLS. I didn't know Sunil Gulati was heavily involved in this and was running it.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4082408/mls-year-one25-seasons-ago-the-wild-west-of-trainingtravelhockey-shootouts-and-american-soccer

Totally forgot about Jorge Campos and Valderamma. A lot of good stories about practicing in parks.

I miss the old shootouts.
Bubba smollett
People love to bag on the MLS but its come a long way my prediction it will a stronger league that Liga MX in 10 years its already a better place to play over Mexico. I think its also a top 5 league in attendance as well very good stuff.
ptothemo
AG
Really enjoyed reading that.

I watched some of MLS Cup '96 the other evening on ESPN2 and could not figure out why the clock was counting down. I didn't realize until reading the article that was a thing at the beginning of MLS.
AgGrad99
AG
They've done it right, by growing it slowly. It's allowed them to have a solid foundation across the league.

They've come a long long way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.