EPL Suspends All Games Till April 3rd

3,292 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ag-in-a-Box
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/03/13/premier-league-suspended-coronavirus/

The last holdout caved once managers and players started testing positive for Covid-19. MLS, CL, Europa League, and every other league is suspended either indefinitely or for varying degrees of time (which if I had to guess will likely be extended).

No news as to how this season could end. Various options are to cancel it altogether and pretend like it never happened, play missed games in the summer before the start of the 20-21 season (European Championships are almost certain to be moved to next year), or take the current standings as the final standings.
jeffk
AG
I read yesterday that the relegation standings were the legal sticking point to just ending the season as it stands now.
joemeister
AG
Most of what I have read so far has been pure speculation. The financial realities are that cancelling the rest of the season or playing in empty stadiums will lead to lower level clubs closing for good if some form of austerity program isn't implemented. For the European leagues, the most reasonable option I've read is to postpone Euro 2020 until next summer, thereby allowing all league and cup competitions to wrap themselves up this summer. There is too much riding on pro/rel positions in every European league to fully cancel the season. If FIFA doesn't postpone its international tournaments, I could definitely see major European FA's withdrawing from this summer's tourney so that they can finish their club competitions.
wangus12
AG
If you need to scratch an itch. The National League (5th tier) is still playing their matches this weekend. Gonna be live on BT Sport
Bubba smollett
They will cancel the season and Liverpool wont get their title lol.
jeffk
Dre_00
Latest seems to be to abandon the season, crown Liverpool, relegate no one and promote top 2 from the Championship. Play next season with 22 teams and relegate 5 at the end of 20-21. No EFL Cup to allow for the extra games (or maybe just exclude EPL teams).

No word on what they would do about CL and EL spots. I would put top 3 in CL, then have a 4 team cup style tourney at Wembeley to determine the other teams. Winner gets last CL spot. Runner-up and winner of 3rd place game go to EL. This cup replaces the Community Shield (yes the CS takes one day but you could have this cup in 3-4 days). Would schedule it earlier if conditions allow and other tournaments like the Euros are postponed as well.
joemeister
AG
The BBC is reporting that FIFA has recommended the regional bodies cancel all upcoming international games. If Uefa follows that, then there is a good chance the Euros will also be cancelled.
ChipFTAC01
AG
That's not a bad plan. Sucks but it's making the best of a ****ty situation.
Mathguy64
AG
I would be ok with all of that except for declaring Liverpool the champion. They didn't actually win it. Just list the table with an *.
jeffk
wangus12
AG
We should simply list the table in alphabetical order to determine the winner
TXAggie2011
AG
LaQuica said:

They will cancel the season and Liverpool wont get their title lol.
That would be magically delicious

jeffk
agsalaska
AG
Liga MX is still on. Two games tonight.

I'm going to watch one and record the other.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
joemeister
AG
Eufa is meeting on Tuesday to decide what they are going to do with Euro 2020, Champions League and Europa League. According to the BBC, the Italian FA has officially asked Eufa to move the Euro 2020 tournament so that they can finish the Serie A season by mid June. Seems like the most sensible approach to cause the least economic damage to the clubs as possible. Serie A has very tight races for 1st, 4th and the relegation spots, so they are not interested in either a playoff or simply ending the season with the current standings.

I think cancelling this season is the least likely possibility at this point, as there are just too many clubs out there that will enter bankruptcy if they can't finish the season and collect revenue from attendance. Have to also think the media companies will be for finishing the season, as the media rights for the leagues are spread among many companies, whereas Euro 2020 will be one channel per country.

So far, the only serious media coverage I've seen saying the season should be cancelled was an article written in the Sun by one of the owners of West Ham. She simply doesn't want her team to get relegated.
agsalaska
AG
I agree with the Italian FA. Move Euro. Finish the domestic seasons and where possible the Cups. Play Euro next year.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
joemeister
AG
The Norwegian FA sent out a tweet saying Euro 2020 has been moved to next summer. Sounds like the season will be completed across Europe, hopefully starting back up in April.
joemeister
AG
Double post - I think TexAgs has the kung flu.
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
Suspicion extended to April 30th now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.