Ally Watt Updates

13,447 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by littlebitofhifi
FalconRT90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the amazing 4.5 years and the support. Ally will continue to represent A&M excellence as a alumni. I'll try to update news over the next few weeks as I am allowed. Here is Ally's highlight video.

Giggem
AG
Thank you, Falcon ! We sure did enjoy watching Ally play and build up her teammates. She's a terrific example of Aggie core values.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone know her plans to play beyond A&M?
theNetSmith
AG
Wow.. what a great highlight video! Ally is just a goal scoring machine! Particularly liked the header-header goal against S Carolina -- that was awesome.
FalconRT90
Ally received interest from French teams yet has decided to declare for the NWSL draft. She will be onsite in Baltimore Jan 16.

https://www.nwslsoccer.com/collegedraft
Rudyjax
AG
Oh cool. I looked At the draft eligible players before I posted and she hadn't declared yet.
mullokmotx
AG
The NWSL draft is today at 10 AM Central and is being streamed on youtube and facebook. The big news yesterday was that Ashley Sanchez of UCLA put her name in.

Chris Henderson of All White Kit put out a Draft Big Board and had Ally at #6 and Briana Alston at #104.

Chris Henderson of All White Kit has been evaluating future NWSL draft prospects for college players and had the following comments on his twitter page:

From RPI #21 - Texas A&M Class of 2020 - Ally Watt - F (CF) Lethal on her day with a solid but not extraordinary conversion rate of 30%. 23 key passes + a tick over half d. challenges won. Could be a top pro if she can stay consistent.

From RPI #21 - Texas A&M Class of 2020 - Grace Piper - MF (DMC) Decent passer, but is one of the better pure d. mids in this class. A monster in the air (71% duels won) and on d. overall (67% d. challenges won). Being able to go a full 90' is key.

From RPI #21 - Texas A&M Class of 2021 - Addie McCain - MF (MC) Aggie playmaker tallied 34 key passes in 2019 at an impressive 61% clip. Averaged 5.1 interceptions per 90', but overall d. needs to be a bit better to maximize chances at pro level.

From RPI #21 - Texas A&M Class of 2021 - Jimena Lopez - D (LB, LWB) Mexican is one of the great hopes for the future of her WNT. Might be the best set-piece delivery artist/crosser in college WoSo, hitting 42 crosses at 39% completion in 2019. It's not just offense with Lopez either, as she won 66% of her defensive challenges.)

From RPI #21 - Texas A&M Class of 2021 - Taylor Ziemer - MF (DMC) Was a great addition after a year in Holland, turning in a nice all-around midfield campaign. Completed 80% of her passes while winning 59% of her d. challenges.
CDub06
AG
6th Pick ALLY WATT headed to North Carolina Courage!!
CDub06
AG
She begins her speech with a "Howdy!" and ends it with a "Thanks and Gig Em." Her A&M is showing
wangus12
AG
Whoop!
mullokmotx
AG
Congratulations to her. I think Shea Groom was also picked at #6 in 2015.
redd38
AG
Groom was 12th
theNetSmith
AG
redd38 said:

Groom was 12th
pfft... details...

watched some Shea Groom highlight videos just this week and saw her assist Carli Lloyd on a goal.. what a dream come true.. not only to be playing professional soccer, but teammates with and assisting arguably one of the greatest female soccer players of all time...
Rambotx
Texas A&M Athletics
Soccer Jan 16, 2020

Watt Selected in First Round of NWSL Draft

COLLEGE STATION, Texas Texas A&M standout Ally Watt was selected by the North Carolina Courage in the first round of the 2020 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) College Draft on Thursday afternoon.

Selected with the No. 6 overall pick, Watt became the highest overall selection in Aggie history. She also became the Maroon & White's first-ever first round pick. Shea Groom set Texas A&M's previous standard in 2014 when she was chosen in the second round by FC Kansas City with the 12th overall selection. Meghan Streight (2nd round 16th pick) and Bianca Brinson (3rd round 24th pick) were also chosen in the 2014 draft.

The North Carolina Courage won the 2019 NWSL title with a 4-0 rout of the Chicago Red Stars in the championship game. They also won the NWSL Shield for posting the best regular-season mark (49 points 15-5-4). Former A&M Soccer standout Merritt Mathias will be in her third year with North Carolina. She ranks fourth on the NWSL all-time list for matches played with 138 in eight seasons.

In December, Watt became the Aggies' first repeat First-Team All-American. She became the seventh Aggie to receive multiple All-America honors from the United Soccer Coaches.

The SEC Forward of the Year, Watt led the league in points (39) and goals (16). She added seven assists, which ranked seventh in the league. Nationally, she ranked 12th in goals and 11th in points despite missing two matches. Watt earned SEC Offensive Player of the Week on two occasions in 2019 and garnered National Player of the Week recognition from USC following a six-goal weekend. In SEC play, she registered a league-leading 22 points on 10 goals and two assists, earning All-SEC First Team honors for the third consecutive season.
mullokmotx
AG
At the Soccer Team Banquet last night G said that Ally is in Australia starting her professional career. I heard that she will be returning for training cap with the NC Courage.
FalconRT90
Rudyjax
AG
Interesting she chose to play down under.

Better beaches?

Free market?

Good luck to her!
littlebitofhifi
AG
The NWSL season runs opposite of the rest of the world so it's very common for women to play in multiple leagues. In this case, it's a great opportunity to get a head start on the professional pace of play and I think the W league fits her style more naturally than some European leagues (fast, physical, less technical).

I think there are only a handful of W-league games left so she's easily be back before by April to join North Carolina before the NWSL season starts.

Melbourne City is top of the table as well so she could be joining a championship team for her pro debut!
theNetSmith
AG
Wow.. what a great opportunity, and who wouldn't enjoy spending a few months in Melbourne?!

I googled and saw pics of Lakeside Stadium (where Melbourne FC play their games) and it is sweet!

Congrats, Ally! As a fellow Ag, I'm so proud of all that you have accomplished, and I'm sure you're going to be a great asset to MFC!
littlebitofhifi
AG
My friends in Melbourne just sent me a pic of Ally on the sidelines at tonight's Melbourne derby. City up 2-0 at the break and she hasn't played yet but hopefully she'll make her professional debut in the 2nd half. According to my friends they've already dubbed her "Speedy"!

littlebitofhifi
AG
She's in!! Professional debut underway. I'll post pics from my friends at the stadium if/when I get them!

Edit with entry photo:
redd38
AG
mullokmotx
AG
Ally scored 2 goals for Melbourne City FC in the W-League on Saturday. One of the goals is on the team twitter page and she is in the background during an interview also.
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like Ally will be playing at 9:30 PM Saturday central time for Melbourne City in the playoffs.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Yep....been keeping an eye on this with my friends in Melbourne. As of last night, the match was still on but wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled.
mullokmotx
AG
Ally's team won 5-1 to make the championship game scheduled for next weekend. I think she entered the game in the 63rd minute.
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like Ally's Melbourne City team plays in the Grand Final at 11:30 PM tonight central time, 3:30 PM Saturday in Melbourne, Australia..
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
ESPNPlus 11:35PM ! You're welcome !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
littlebitofhifi
AG
Congrats to Ally on her first professional trophy!

Melbourne City defeats Sydney FC 1-0. Ally came on in the 85' to close it out with some high pressure up top. Had 1 shot on goal before being pulled back to a defensive position for stoppage time.

Finished with 1 start, 3 goals in 5 games in the W-league.

Earlier this week Paul Riley (NC head coach) said she'd be coming to NC after the final to quarantine before joining the Courage. Not sure if that's changed with the additional NWSL delays but probably still holds.

Congrats Ally!
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like she got a nice medal. Glad to see that she played.
jeffk
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
See espnplus for a replay. Beautiful stadium. No fans. great camera work- closeups.

And good soccer !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
littlebitofhifi
AG
It's an Aggie reunion in Washington!

McJulie-O
AG
Way to go, Ally!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.