Everton 2019 - 2020 Thread

6,754 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by heddleston
nickstro66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wanted to check-in to the thread. I was a fan when Tim Howard was around. Started getting back into watching the Premier League recently. Officially hopping back on the Everton bandwagon.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Welcome! There is literally dozen of us. Literally.

Seriously though, if you missed the 0-0 draw derby Sunday, you missed a good one. We played well and easily could have had all 3 points. Carlo Ancellotti is the real deal and the team is playing like they're well managed.
fig96
AG
Some news that doesn't sound ideal and hopefully is an oversight rather than something criminal.

Spanish prosecutor indicts Carlo Ancelotti on suspicion of tax fraud
Case related to revenues due from image rights when Everton manager was head coach at Real Madrid

Per the article some star players have had similar charges and just paid fines, fingers crossed that's the case here as well.
nickstro66
AG
Watched it! Very impressed with how they looked. The future seems pretty bright. Trying to do my research on their current roster so I'm better equipped to talk about them.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
European tax charges are sort of just political nonsense. Wouldn't worry about it.
Aggies1322
AG
fig96 said:

Some news that doesn't sound ideal and hopefully is an oversight rather than something criminal.

Spanish prosecutor indicts Carlo Ancelotti on suspicion of tax fraud
Case related to revenues due from image rights when Everton manager was head coach at Real Madrid

Per the article some star players have had similar charges and just paid fines, fingers crossed that's the case here as well.

Has happened to Ronaldo and Messi as well.. nothing ever happens.
fig96
AG
Good to know
fig96
AG
And in case anyone wasn't thinking about midweek games we just kicked off at Norwich, on NBC Sports Gold/Premier League Pass.
Aggies1322
AG
My biggest complaint with the current squad is they seem to have trouble working through the midfield and keeping possession. Iwobi seems to lack technical ability and Davies seems really inconsistent. Gomes is pretty talented.. but sometimes plays a little slow. We need some better midfield play. Though, I personally am not a fan of the flat 4 across the midfield in the first place.. I trust Ancelotti.
Aggies1322
AG
fig96 said:

And in case anyone wasn't thinking about midweek games we just kicked off at Norwich, on NBC Sports Gold/Premier League Pass.

Do you watch using their app ever? I just tried and it wouldnt take me to the live action. Its started the broadcast over from before warmups. I tried multiple times..
Aggies1322
AG
Less first half possession than the worst team in the prem.
fig96
AG
Aggies1322 said:

fig96 said:

Do you watch using their app ever? I just tried and it wouldnt take me to the live action. Its started the broadcast over from before warmups. I tried multiple times..
Watching on my iPad with the app now and I've had no issues. The AppleTV app is kind of terrible though.

And yeah, that was not an impressive first half.
Aggies1322
AG
Take off Davies and you see results. The guy is a work horse but man he is a frustrating player. Need these 3 points.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not a pretty win but 3 points is 3 points.
Aggies1322
AG
blindey said:

Not a pretty win but 3 points is 3 points.

I think we have to live with ugly wins until Ancelotti gets his guys in. But his defense sure does look pretty.
Aggies1322
AG
https://princerupertstower.com/2020/06/25/everton-begin-mass-exodus-13-5-million-man-others-set-depart/

Good to see us trim fat and free up wages.
fig96
AG
This is going to be a really interesting offseason.

Also, have we heard about transfer window dates being adjusted?
Aggies1322
AG
fig96 said:

This is going to be a really interesting offseason.

Also, have we heard about transfer window dates being adjusted?

I havent heard anything.. I think they are allowing players that are leaving clubs the right to stay until the end of the season. Or, at least that seems like the implication with the loaned guys. (Like sidibe.)

Edit- found this article with vague information.
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/fifa-issues-guidelines-for-transfer-windows-contracts-and-more-during-coronavirus-shutdown/amp/#aoh=15931910038266&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s
Aggies1322
AG
https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/2020/6/28/21305704/everton-premier-league-fixtures-preview-leicester-city-tottenham-southampton-wolves-villa-sheffield

Interesting read on our Europa chances. I personally dont feel confident, but we will see.
Aggies1322
AG
Wasnt watching, and looked up the score.. 2-0 after 16 min? Perfect start.
fig96
AG
Early goal by Richarlison then our first penalty in 38 matches (?!). Penalty could've gone either way but I'll take it.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Was a pretty soft penalty after a long VAR review.

Right now we are just hanging on with 5 minutes in regulation time left.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
There we go. 3 points. Well earned.
fig96
AG
I'll take it, a win against someone near the top of the table is never a bad thing.
Aggies1322
AG
Huge 3 points. If we can pull 3 from Tottenham (big ask, I know), that would really put us in a good spot to challenge for Europa.
nickstro66
AG
New home kit has been revealed!

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Good looking kit. First one I've been tempted to purchase since the 2012 home kit.

That said, not the best showing against Southampton today. 1-1 draw and a share of the points but could have been worse. Richarlison scored a nice goal on a beauty of a ball from Digne.

Looking forward to what we can do in the transfer window and seeing Carlo make his team for next season.
fig96
AG
Agreed on the kit, really like this look.

Missed today's match due to work, but it feels like we're just sort of trying to make due till the end of the season at this point. Definitely looking forward to the transfer window.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
That's exactly what we looked like....just trying to get to the end of the season safely in the EPL but not with any Europe obligations. We're giving performances that would do Toyota Camry owners proud. Adequate.
fig96
AG
Love the analogy. I'd love to see us make more of a push at the end here though.

Looking at the remaining schedule we're currently 7 points out of 6th with matches against 6, 7, 18, and 19 remaining. That's not a bad shot.
Aggies1322
AG
Ugly.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Looking the same today against a relegation zone squad. Which means its 0-0 and our Toyota Camry quality performance just isn't going to garner points. I get it that (I think) we are mathematically eliminated from both Europe and relegation, but there is still money involved in finishing higher on the table.

Oh well.
heddleston
AG
Well thank goodness that's over. Sad that Bainesy is done. Now let's see what moves we can make to get our roster out of the hole Brands dug is into.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
You mean make moves like not spending 100 million pounds on three of the same player?
heddleston
AG
Hey. You buy enough #10s, then noone else has any and you can sell them back off for 3x what you bought them for. We just need to buy more!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.