Everton 2019 - 2020 Thread

6,691 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by heddleston
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that we have a world-class manager running the show, I expect results. The team looked sharp today and earned a much needed and well deserved three points. Curious to see what Carlo has in store.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
6 points in 2 matches including 3 at St. James Park. Nice work boys. And Carlo had Everton making Newcastle look thoroughly outclassed especially in the final 30 minutes. This is amazingly fun to watch. Poor Spurs fans are stuck with Jose "the snooze fest" Mourinho.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Loss at man city today. Must play better and pick up points on the road. Surprised we didn't rest as many as we should have.
heddleston
AG
I've always admired Carlo, he seems like a tactical genius. His hire has me the most excited about the team in years. Hopefully he can bolster the squad in this window and make a push for europe!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Holy crap! Another Everton supporter! I thought I was going to spend the spring talking to myself on this thread.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Another 3 points at Brighton. Looks like we have a run of bottom to mid table sides coming up, so now would be a good time to cross the 40 point threshold and start to make plans for next year.
fig96
AG
Missed this thread till now, it's been actually fun to watch Everton football the past few weeks though (outside of one or two results we won't speak about). Intrigued to see what happens in the transfer window.
heddleston
AG
Gomes returned to training with the 1st team today! So glad his recovery has been so fast. I wasn't sure we'd see him until 2021, we may see him before March!
Turk Turkleton
AG
I had no idea there were more of us here!

Richarlison for 100 mil Euro to Barca? Get outta here with that. Gotta keep your best players if you want to be good, not send 'em off.
texagbeliever
That kind of makes sense to me for Everton. His wages are going to go up and he isnt likely to be happy staying at a non CL team for too long. Also I think his real value is in the 50s at most. Guy is good but I doubt he'd start 20 league games for Baca in a season.
fig96
AG
I was definitely surprised by the valuation there, I can see both sides of the argument for keeping or selling him though.

Either way I've been expecting a bit more in this window and we're running very short on time.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I think a lot of the valuation is driven by the fact that he's 22. I don't know if that makes it correct but that's my best guess.

That said, what a match today! Coming back from 2-0 down to get all 3 points playing with 10 men!
fig96
AG
That was a...surprising...result

Down 2-0 I didn't think there was a prayer, but a few lucky bounces and some good positioning and we were right back in it. Thought the ejection was weak, but to hang on and get the 3 points with only 10 men is an outstanding effort.

We've gone from relegation danger two months ago to 9th in the table and being within striking distance of 5th. Crazy sport.
Turk Turkleton
AG
Richarlison was a man among boys on that second goal today. That run was truly a thing of beauty.
heddleston
AG
Since hiring Carlo we've been the 2nd best team in the league(not sure how it looks if you include Dunc's run). The schedule helped us with that, but dang things are looking good. Gomes may be back by the Arsenal game!
Turk Turkleton
AG
Bye Sportspesa, I never really cared for your logo on the front of the kit anyways. Seems like a solid proactive approach considering Parliament wants to eliminate sports betting advertising in the UK (on jerseys and in stadiums) real soon.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1612447/everton-to-end-its-partnership-with-sportpesa
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Honest response: I don't really care that the sponsor logo was a betting website. But I do care that it was ugly. The Chang beer logo wasn't too bad. But SportPesa was really ugly.

Hopefully the next kit sponsor is something attractive and hopefully a recognized brand.
heddleston
AG
I always thought having a gambling sponsor was skeezy and even more skeezy that it's based in Africa. Not sure who we'll replace it with. Before all the Man City stuff hit i would have assumed that it would be a USM owned entity so Usmanov could put some of his fancy russian oil money into the club, but now im not sure. that said, it wouldnt shock me to see if MegaFon (russian phone carrier owned by USM) ended up on the shirt.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
If megaFon is looking to start or increase operations in the UK, that would make sense. Frankly I wouldn't be all that shocked if they just renamed the club USMEverton.
heddleston
AG
I hope it's just a big picture of Usmanov on the front.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Oooh, good idea. They could get the kit manufacturer to do the thing where the pattern of his face is woven into the fabric of the shirt.
Aggies1322
AG
Nice. Theres an Everton thread now. Need to pick up 3 points against Arsenal today. Especially considering Burnleys run of form.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Disappointing not to at least convert one opportunity and pick up a point today.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ANOTHER TOFFEE!!!! ZOMG!!!!! THERE ARE DOZEN OF US. DOZEN!!!!
Aggies1322
AG
How do you fix a team that can only be fixed with money when the Board is unwilling to spend the money.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Am I crazy or haven't they spent a decent amount? Not top 4 money but better than Burnley money.
fig96
AG
Have spent a ton the past few years, the idea that they're "unwilling to spend the money" is silly. But there have been some expensive moves that didn't pan out and there was only so much that could be done inside the winter transfer window after Ancelotti was brought on. I'd expect big changes this summer.
heddleston
AG
Yeah, we're so willing to spend money that we nearly got nipped by FPP this year. So close that we basically couldn't make any signings. Look for Brands and Carlo to clean house this summer.
Aggies1322
AG
Imo the board isnt willing to go spend money for great players. That's why you see our transfer success rate so low. Because they are spending money for good players. I cant remember the last time they signed a great player. The closest was Richarlison.. Sigurdsson? Andre Gomes? If Everton were willing to put all of their money into 3 great players, that's better than 5 or 6 good players. We need immediate improvement at the back, midfield, and tbh Pickford has been somewhat shaky. Idk. Maybe I'm just not seeing it clearly.
fig96
AG
And you would be mathematically incorrect. You can say we haven't bought the right players, which is a fair argument, but we've absolutely spent the money:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons
Aggies1322
AG
fig96 said:

And you would be mathematically incorrect. You can say we haven't bought the right players, which is a fair argument, but we've absolutely spent the money:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

I understand we have spent a lot of money. I'm going to do an analysis of our transfer history through the last 3-4 years and see if I can show what I'm talking about. It may just be recency bias being that we spent $130m this year and got almost no ROI off of it. Iwobi for $33.44m is a shame, as is Moise Kean for $30.25m(though I understand as hes considered a bright youngster). Gbamin and Gomes have had significant injuries.. but they were both $27.5m. Definitely a rough window. What I'm referring to is spending big money on individual players. Instead of the $30-35m range moving up to the $45m range. I think the class of player is much different. Evidenced by Richarlison being $43.12m. Btw Richarlison should've had 2-3 assists yesterday, he looked very good breaking down that left wing.

ETA- selling Gueye was painful, especially considering I think he was worth more than $33m (at least to this team).
fig96
AG
There was a really good read on The Athletic a month or two back sort of hitting on this topic, if you've got a subscription it's well worth the read (or a free trial).

https://theathletic.com/1510029/2020/01/07/everton-january-transfers/

Key paragraph or two:
Quote:

Then look at the players who came on as subs against Liverpool: Fabian Delph, an England international and an important member of Manchester City's back-to-back title-winning squad over the previous two seasons; Bernard, a Copa Libertadores-winning member of Brazil's World Cup squad in 2014 and an eye-catching, serial league champion at Shakhtar Donetsk; Moise Kean, a full Italy international still in his teens who arrived at Goodison Park having scored seven times in just 16 league appearances for Juventus.

Everton are short of many things right now, but the notion that these players are "not good enough" seems a little too straightforward and a little too convenient.

Almost all of them looked better players elsewhere than they do at Everton if not during their brief spells at Manchester United and Barcelona respectively, in the cases of Schneiderlin and Mina, then certainly in the not-too-distant past. And when that happens, when the whole is so much less than the sum of its parts and when those individual parts seem to disintegrate within months of arrival, you have got to look deeper, as Ancelotti undoubtedly will.

During his time in charge at Arsenal, George Graham used to say that the key to building a team was to buy players who were on the way up or, alternatively, players who were desperate to prove a point but to avoid those who might see your club as a soft landing, a comfort zone. "Never buy a player who's taking a step down to join you," Graham said. "He will act as if he's doing you a favour."

The general theme here is that Everton (and Leicester, which is the other club talked about ion the piece) have done much better signing up and coming players who need to prove themselves rather than established stars from big clubs who might be "taking a step down" so to speak. Richarlison might be a player in that sweet spot, expensive enough to be top quality but still needing to establish himself as a Premier League quality player.
Aggies1322
AG
I agree that we cant court the enormous players of the world. But we need to spend what seems to be a $110m-$120m budget on less guys and more talent. Chelsea spent $49.5m on one player this year. Kovacic. He has outperformed all of the players (individually) Everton bought this year spending $130m. We need to sign 2-3 $45m+ players a year. Otherwise we are middle of the league and that's about it. From the limited search I've done of players we bought vs signings in the prem over $45m at top clubs, the evidence is pretty damning. Richarlison, at $43.12m has a rating of 7.37, Digne at $22.22m is the only one who really outperformed his value greatly with a rating of 7.15. And Gylfi is the only one who significantly underperformed (this tear.. previous years he has not) at $54.34m with a rating of 6.72.

Some players bought in the prem over the last 2 seasons that I think we could have at least afforded if we loosen our belts and go for top players:

Name - Fee - Rating
Bruno Fernandes - $60.5m - 8.01
Aaron Wan-Bissaka - $60.5m - 7.19
Youri Tielemans - $49.5m - 6.91
Mateo Kovacic - $49.5m - 6.97
Naby Keita - $66.0m - 7.0
Fabinho - $49.5m - 6.88
Jorginho - $62.7m - 6.97

Our signings from previous 2 years:
Alex Iwobi - $33.44m - 6.54
Moise Kean - $30.25m - 6.31
Gbamin - $27.5m - 6.76 (limited action)
Andre Gomes - $27.5m - 6.37 (limited action)
Fabian Delph - $10.45m - 6.49

Richarlison - $43.12m - 7.37
Yerry Mina - $33.28m - 6.85
Lucas Digne - $22.22m - 7.15
Bernard - $0 - 6.72

Idk maybe I'm a dreamer.. but if we're already spending the money - why not spend it on players that are more likely to perform at European competition levels.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Great post and excellent analysis.

Any thoughts on the Bramley Moore project and what impact a new stadium will have? I ask because for anyone that hasn't been to Goodison probably doesn't quite understand what a dump that place is.
Aggies1322
AG
blindey said:

Great post and excellent analysis.

Any thoughts on the Bramley Moore project and what impact a new stadium will have? I ask because for anyone that hasn't been to Goodison probably doesn't quite understand what a dump that place is.

Honestly, I have no idea what role, if any, a new stadium plays in the courting of new players. It certainly won't hurt. Plus I read some articles on how big the project is for the city of Liverpool. That plus 125%+ seating capacity can't hurt attendance numbers/ticket revenue. Besides, that stadium looks incredible in the models they've put out.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.