******BTHO t.u.******

17,810 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dallasiteinsa02
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M continues 2019 play at 6:30PM on Friday as the first round of the NCAA Tournament comes to Aggieland. As per usual, this means the Aggies are matched up against a regional team from a lower tier conference. This year, it's the University of Texas-Austin that A&M will face in the opening round.

There's a little history between these two teams. The two sides have played each other 27 times with A&M holding the lopsided 20-5-2 series advantage. A&M is undefeated (31-0-5) against all in-state opponents since 2008.

The last time the Aggies and Longhorns faced off was in A&M's very last Big 12 match in 2011. A&M won in Austin by a score of 3-0.

Fast forward to this season and the Longhorns are 11-7-1 overall and finished 6-5 in Big 12 play. Texas went 3-5-1 on the season against teams selected to the NCAA tournament with a 2-3 mark against those upper echelon teams selected as hosts.

Texas has run hot & cold this season. More honestly, they've vacillated between lukewarm and cold. Their best wins came at Kansas (1-0) and at home against Washington (2-0). Both are national seeds (3 & 4 respectively). But they also have demoralizing losses to the likes of Monmouth (0-4) and Denver (0-3).

Through the season, Texas has outscored opponents 34-25. Junior forward Haley Berg (#2) and sophomore midfielder Julia Grosso (#7) both notched 8 goals for the Longhorns this season. Berg also totalled a team high 9 assists as well as a team-high 72 shots. Grosso, an All-Big 12 selection, was more efficient with her shots, scoring her 8 goals on just 34 shots. She also had 7 assists.

Texas has had two keepers play significant time in goal this season. Savannah Madden (#0) played the full-time in 9 games and Nicole Curry (#23) played a full 10 matches. Madden started the season for Texas and has been back in goal for the last 5 matches, however Curry looks better statistically.

Madden has allowed 16 goals and made 51 saves. She also has 1 shutout. Curry allowed 9 goals while totalling 37 saves and has 6 clean sheets this season. In all, Texas is allowing an average of 1.27 goals per game and has 7 total shutouts. They've been shutout 5 times this season.

Just as a refresher, Texas is coached by Angela Kelly. Kelly is known for previously building Tennessee into a perennial soccer power. Kelly took over in Austin in 2012 and has led the team to a 74-48-19 overall record. This is the third consecutive year she has Texas in the NCAA Tournament.

Texas has proven that they can be a capable team when necessary. And A&M has shown flashes of intensity throughout the season. There's no reason both teams shouldn't be fired up for their first meeting since A&M split from the Big 12. We should have a full house on a chilly day in Aggieland to watch A&M prove that although the faces have changed, A&M is still the premiere team in the state.
CDub06
AG
The game will stream live on SEC+

Students get in FREE! (Thanks Aggie Soccer Club)

GA Tickets are $10: https://12thmanfoundation.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=SC&linkID=tamu&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

Be prepared to pay $5 to park. The game will partly overlap the A&M/Gonzaga basketball game which tips off at 8PM.
mullokmotx
AG
I think this is the 4th time that Kelly has taken them to the NCAA Tournament since she started there in 2012. She was the coach at Tennessee when we lost there in 2011. We have played them once before in the NCAA Tournament, in the second round in 2007. That was the last year the NCAA allowed teams from the same conference to play before the third round. I remember that the tu coach protested that our yell leaders were on the field and they had to go into the stands. Since then we have the unbeaten streak against Texas teams.
Giggem
AG
Thanks CDub! See ya tomorrow as we BTHOtu !
jeffk
jkag89
BTHO sippie!
Rongagin71
wangus12
BQ92
Sports-Ag
AG
Hopefully there is a good crowd with a lot of folks in town for the football game on Saturday.

Aggie basketball plays #8 Gonzaga at 8pm across the street. Plenty of time to support the soccer team then to the basketball game. Let's go Ags!
HiddenAg2
We should win the game, but still have PTSD from the 2007 game, which IMO was the worst loss in school history because A&M could have won the national title that year at home in the College Cup. Still can't believe we lost that game in the rain.
mullokmotx
AG
Since the tournament format changed in 2011 we have played the first round at home 7 times and have only won by more than 1 goal twice, 4-0 over LSU in 2011 and 5-0 in 2014 against HBU. 2 of the wins came in OT. I am expecting a tough game.
I also remember that 2007 game. I think we had a pass intercepted in our defensive end that led to a goal and I remember Ashley Pistorius being grabbed around the waist in the box by a tu player with no foul called.
Sports-Ag
AG
I was at that 2007 game. Man was that game physical.
MROD92
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like the last time we played tu here was 10 years ago, winning 4-0. I think in that game the tu keeper got red-carded.
In 2010 and 2011 we played in Austin.
mullokmotx
AG
Top Drawer Soccer has the following game preview:

Texas (11-7-1) at Texas A&M (13-4-3), 7:30 p.m. (SEC Network+)

The Longhorns got in via an at-large bid after what was very much an up-and-down season. There is talent on this squad to go on the road and come away with the result against the Aggies. Big nights will be needed from Haley Berg, Emma Regan and Cyera Hintzen if the Big 12 side is to progress. An 8-1-2 record at home is a formidable mark, and if Ally Watt and Jimena Lopez are on song, it may be a long night for the visitors.
redd38
AG
GAMEDAY
CDub06
AG
Coach G won't be at the game tonight.
redd38
AG
That sucks but I don't think it'll change the outcome of this game. I have confidence in Phil and the team.
mullokmotx
AG
Louie Belina just said on the radio that coach G is with his mother who is very ill. Louie read Coach G's Facebook posting.
coloradoag69
AG
Thoughts and prayers go out to Coach G. and his family. By implication it has to be quite serious for him to miss an NCAA tournament game.

I have confidence that the assistant coaches will do a good job tonight, and our team will be inspired to play at a top level.

Beat the hell out of tu!
redd38
AG
We're gonna rip off their shoes and hit them over the feet with them!
Rambotx
Win this one for Coach G and his family!
CDub06
AG
Gone
redd38
AG
The team put an OMG shirt on G's seat
redd38
AG
I think it'll be important to take a lead into half time tonight
aggie67,74&76
redd38
AG
Caldwell in goal
DD88
AG
WatchESPN BTHOtu
aggie orbitalwelder
TRM
AG
tu scores.
jonj101
tu scores first.
TRM
AG
Lopez misses wide off the side net.
Hand Of God
AG
Lopez misses a wide open look
bbry81
Unbelievable start poor d and then Lopez missed a sitter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.