********* BTHO Florida ***********

7,539 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jeffk
FalconRT90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the last 5 plus years of post. I look forward next year being just a fan. I owe Texas A&M so much for allowing my daughter to represent the Aggies. She is Maroon and White.
redd38
AG
FalconRT90 said:

Thanks for the last 5 plus years of post. I look forward next year being just a fan. I owe Texas A&M so much for allowing my daughter to represent the Aggies. She is Maroon and White.

Thanks for sending her here, we would have been lost without her this year (which isn't over yet!)
ProphAC
AG
HiddenAg nailed it perfectly! You watch this team and you can see we are talented and should be created more opportunities but every time the ball was in the middle, it was a disaster. The center mid player should either being creative with vision or dynamic and attacking to create space for other players. Our middle is physically strong but that's about it. As a parent of a defender, I appreciate great back play. Our defenders are wasteful with their passes out the back... I don't say that lightly, it doesn't take much effort to make a thoughtful accurate ball out the back. We don't. I tell my daughter all the time... it's never the goalie's fault if you allowed them to shoot even if the goalie should have made the save. Our defenders lack that desperation gene to stop a shot and once a creative pass is made that creates chaos, they completely lose shape that could mitigate the risk... it makes me wonder if our defenders are converted to play the position from other positions growing up.

Florida recognized that if they shutdown Lopez and catered to Watt's speed that we had nothing and that proved true. Coach G needs to do better. He didn't know what to do. If it were me, I would have played R. Smith as an attacking mid to create havoc and tell her to go at the defense and I think it would have opened up for our offense. Coach G said we need to play our possession game... it's not just about possession. In the final third, you need runs being made with through balls and attacking with the dribble.... I literally remember us doing this once the entire 2nd half and it created our only decent offensive opportunity.

When you have talent and you play with style, the game of soccer happens naturally. We play with no identity so the game is so hard.
ProphAC
AG
There is so much talent coming up from North Texas in youth soccer that the quality in play will be naturally upgraded. Coming up is the first generation of youth girls players that are training like a pro 5 or 6 days a week from the age of 5 and 6 yrs old. These girls are insanely talented with soccer IQ 3 to 5 years ahead of schedule. These girls want to play for the likes of A&M. Hopefully, Coach G can recruit b/c the talent is coming.
HiddenAg2
ProphAC said:

HiddenAg nailed it perfectly! You watch this team and you can see we are talented and should be created more opportunities but every time the ball was in the middle, it was a disaster. The center mid player should either being creative with vision or dynamic and attacking to create space for other players. Our middle is physically strong but that's about it. As a parent of a defender, I appreciate great back play. Our defenders are wasteful with their passes out the back... I don't say that lightly, it doesn't take much effort to make a thoughtful accurate ball out the back. We don't. I tell my daughter all the time... it's never the goalie's fault if you allowed them to shoot even if the goalie should have made the save. Our defenders lack that desperation gene to stop a shot and once a creative pass is made that creates chaos, they completely lose shape that could mitigate the risk... it makes me wonder if our defenders are converted to play the position from other positions growing up.

Florida recognized that if they shutdown Lopez and catered to Watt's speed that we had nothing and that proved true. Coach G needs to do better. He didn't know what to do. If it were me, I would have played R. Smith as an attacking mid to create havoc and tell her to go at the defense and I think it would have opened up for our offense. Coach G said we need to play our possession game... it's not just about possession. In the final third, you need runs being made with through balls and attacking with the dribble.... I literally remember us doing this once the entire 2nd half and it created our only decent offensive opportunity.

When you have talent and you play with style, the game of soccer happens naturally. We play with no identity so the game is so hard.
An excellent analysis. We do need that special midfielder to attack defenses more directly, which in turn pulls defenders away from our strikers and opens up space for slotted passes into the box. I'm really hoping that one of the incoming recruits in the 2020 class can fill this role or we will face the same issues that have plagued this team.
Here4goodSoccer
If Ali Russell can develop her skills, I think she can be our next Miki Harvey like player. The spring and summer seasons will be key for her development and I hope she seeks out either a semi-pro team or a private coach. I feel like I am her cheerleader from afar, but she is fun to watch.
Expert Analysis
AG
ProphAC said:

This has been the case for years and getting worse. We have no offensive system other than dump it to Ally and rely on her skills. From an observers standpoint G does not teach a dynamic offensive system. Diagonal runs are non existent, off the ball movement is limited and our spacing is generally poor which is a root cause of our bad passing. Our inability to score in the run of play outside the Missouri game was pitiful this year. We are in trouble next year without Ally.
redd38
AG
Expert Analysis said:

We are in trouble next year without Ally.

I think maybe yes and no. Obviously we're gonna be worse off without Watt, but I think often players would pass up a good shot for a bad pass to Watt. So I think losing Watt will maybe give more players the confidence to take a shot, which is what we need. Our offense will be more dimensional (hopefully).

Defense will be in more trouble next year than offense I think.
Hand Of God
AG
I agree that next year is likely to get worse. Not just because we'll lose a lion's share of our goal production but also because our backline (which isn't great to begin with) will have to largely be replaced. Sample's return will help and Smith's insertion is most promising, but who else do we have that can step in to fill the other holes? The goalkeeping situation obviously won't improve overnight so that will almost assuredly remain a major problem. Russell, Smith, Tara Ziemer, Asdis, and AGC have moments of positive play but have never been able to sustain success for long stretches. None of them have proven to be consistently dangerous in front of goal, especially against quality opponents.
Hand Of God
AG
A&M has not beaten a top-25 opponent this year. Our best wins have been against #28 Santa Clara and #36 Vanderbilt.
MookieBlaylock
AG
blake2003 said:

Totally agree. My comment still stands. Our keeper play is very, very, very bad.

Be careful talking about keeper play
HiddenAg2
redd38 said:

Defense will be in more trouble next year than offense I think.
I actually think the combination of Sample and Smith on the backline will be stout. It's the other spot or spots that concern me. Of course the coaches may be forced to move Smith to forward if we struggle to score goals.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wait now y'all want smith to play defense?

redd38
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Wait now y'all want smith to play defense?

There are two Smiths
jeffk

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.