*******BTHO Mississippi*******

4,397 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Expert Analysis
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't see a thread so I will start one.
Please arrive by 6:10 to honor the seniors.
Mississippi is a desperate team as their RPI is at 50 and they need a couple of wins to get in the bubble for a NCAA Tournament bid. They also need at least a tie to ensure a trip to the beach, at least by my count.
Diego
AG
BTHO Ole Miss!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
CDub06
AG
We're on a Winning streak when I don't start the thread. So I'm gonna ride that out.
redd38
AG
I'm already cold
bbry81
Lit a fire in the front yard bucket of candy next to me ready to watch the game on my phone as I give candy and drink beer. Great Halloween night
jeffk
AG
You lit your bucket of candy on fire?!
redd38
AG
Terrible attendance tonight, a shame for the seniors
Wicked Good Ag
Cold and Halloween sucks especially since last year Halloween got rained out for the most part
Gap
AG
0-0 after 41 minutes.

Aggies have outshot Ole Miss 10-2 (8-1 on goal).

Caldwell in goal for the Aggies.
redd38
AG
Attendance is so bad we don't even have ball kids
Gap
AG
42:02 remaining in 2H.

Still tied 0-0.

redd38
AG
Watt had a 1 v 1 with the keeper and missed the goal
redd38
AG
GOOOOOAAAALLL LOPEZ
rausr
AG
Great goal by Jimena!
redd38
AG
And gave it right back

1-1
rausr
AG
Back line too tentative and not great touches of late
redd38
AG
Ole Miss keeper having a career night
redd38
AG
GOOOOAAAALLLLL

Cooper finishes a corner!!!
Hand Of God
AG
Aggies win 2-1
bbry81
Ended up not watching till last 20 minutes. Neighbor came over to enjoy the fire. Which wasn't the candy jeffk. Glad we won ready for the post season
HiddenAg2
First, I find it ironic that the coach that pushed the new seeding system in the SEC with division winners receiving the top 2 seeds, finds his own team hurt the most by it. A&M would have been the #3 seed and avoided a terrible quarterfinal match-up with Florida, instead getting to play Georgia. A&M is now in a position to go one and done two years in a row as I believe Florida is the clear favorite in this game (the Gators paddled us 3-1 earlier this season). I've never understood the change in seeding format except maybe Coach G believed that A&M would win the SEC West every year and be guaranteed the #2 seed at worst since our previous rivals UF and SC are in the East. Of course we didn't foresee a rising Arkansas program either. Anyway, it's unfortunate and really not fair to the players either.

A&M played a routine game tonight against a mediocre (at best) Ole Miss side and almost let one get away. Thankfully Lopez did her thing with a great goal from distance and then an assist on a corner kick late to get the win. Lopez is hands down the SEC Player of Year. She's the best all-around player at A&M in several years. The Ole Miss GK was incredible and saved at least 3 sure goals so kudos to her. It was neat to see Cooper get the tap in winning goal because before that happened she was really struggling. Watt missed a 1v1 which cannot happen in the postseason if A&M is going to advance. GK for A&M continues to be a serious concern and I do think we need to go out and look at a transfer in the offseason. Asdis must have loved the weather toniight. The midfield was up and down but we need McCain to take control like she did against Missouri. Also, Taylor Ziemer has been quiet lately (disappeared at times tonight) and she will need to step up her game as well in the NCAA tournament. The back line has been relatively solid but we need to be careful to not foul near the box because we've struggled on set piece defense this year.

A&M is currently #17 in the RPI, so a #4 seed is possible with some wins in the SEC tournament. In some ways, it actually might be better to not be seeded and get into a #2 seed pod on the road instead of a #1 seed pod if we were a #4 seed. Making it back to the Sweet 16 will be extremely difficult either way.
jeffk
aggie orbitalwelder
Gap
AG
Wasn't Jimena Lopez out for the game at Florida earlier this season when she was with the Mexican National Team?
Rambotx
Gap said:

Wasn't Jimena Lopez out for the game at Florida earlier this season when she was with the Mexican National Team?
Yes, she missed that game.
Carnwellag2
Your hate towards coach G has re-emerged in your last few writeups. Always looking for something to complain about.

It was a fairly dominate performance.

You say ole miss is mediocre at best..... this is the ole miss team that beat Florida earlier in the year.

How about not always looking to spin the program and coach negatively
HiddenAg2
Carnwellag2 said:

Your hate towards coach G has re-emerged in your last few writeups. Always looking for something to complain about.

You say ole miss is mediocre at best..... this is the ole miss team that beat Florida earlier in the year.

I see you only come around when I have any valid critiques of the coach and program as a whole. I've actually been pretty supportive and tempered over the last few years as compared to years' past. I do not hate Coach G, that's just silly. I actually like him personally and he is great for the community. However, I do question some of his coaching at times and that comes with the territory of being a head coach of any team in any sport at any level. There is nothing wrong with trying to push the program forward to improve, which has not been the case the last few years. I've also said repeatedly that I'm under no illusion that Coach G is going anywhere until he retires, so all we as fans can do is ask for everyone in the program to improve, including the coaches.

We'll see how this season finishes, but I've said this season has been a disappointment compared to expectations (we were picked to win the league with two dynamic players on the team in Watt and Lopez). The SEC is way down this year and is not a good conference IMO with a lot of average to bad teams and 5 good teams at the top. We have improved a bit since middle of the season so I give the coaches credit for that. I'm doing a deeper dive into the last several years to determine if it's a talent issue. And I will say that I'm excited to see what impact facility improvements (Bjork has mentioned this recently) will have on recruiting elite prospects.
Expert Analysis
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

A&M is currently #17 in the RPI, so a #4 seed is possible with some wins in the SEC tournament. In some ways, it actually might be better to not be seeded and get into a #2 seed pod on the road instead of a #1 seed pod if we were a #4 seed. Making it back to the Sweet 16 will be extremely difficult either way.
We are on the road for rounds 2 and 3 no matter what. We should be playing a similarly ranked team in 2nd round who is also on the road. Making the sweet 16 is the expectation. The elite 8 will be a difficult task.
redd38
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

I see you only come around when I have any valid critiques of the coach and program as a whole. I've actually been pretty supportive and tempered over the last few years as compared to years' past. I do not hate Coach G, that's just silly. I actually like him personally and he is great for the community. However, I do question some of his coaching at times and that comes with the territory of being a head coach of any team in any sport at any level. There is nothing wrong with trying to push the program forward to improve, which has not been the case the last few years. I've also said repeatedly that I'm under no illusion that Coach G is going anywhere until he retires, so all we as fans can do is ask for everyone in the program to improve, including the coaches.

We'll see how this season finishes, but I've said this season has been a disappointment compared to expectations (we were picked to win the league with two dynamic players on the team in Watt and Lopez). The SEC is way down this year and is not a good conference IMO with a lot of average to bad teams and 5 good teams at the top. We have improved a bit since middle of the season so I give the coaches credit for that. I'm doing a deeper dive into the last several years to determine if it's a talent issue. And I will say that I'm excited to see what impact facility improvements (Bjork has mentioned this recently) will have on recruiting elite prospects.

We've only disappointed expectations if you had poorly formed expectations before the season. I tried telling you people, it takes more than a Watt to make a team. Coaches preseason poll means about as much as Sully (the miniature horse) picking teams.
mullokmotx
AG
Watching the first half I was wondering if the Mississippi goalkeeper from last year had actually graduated. I was glad to see that we just kept attacking. That was a beautiful steal by Ally in the second half and I was waiting to see if the girl chasing her was going to reach out and grab her jersey at the same moment the referee blinked so he could claim he didn't see it. I thought Grace and Callyn had good games and I give credit to Callyn for not wearing a long sleeve shirt. Abby got the game winner 6 minutes after she entered the game with Jordan Hill getting the assist 2 minutes after she came in the game.
Jenna, Jordan Hill and Olivia were honored on senior night even though they all have eligibility remaining. I was glad that Olivia got in a game earlier this year, and am very happy that Jenna has been healthy for the first time in her career and has got to play in 11 games so far this season. We are losing 8 of 24 players and according to HiddenAg's recruiting thread we should be signing 7 in 2 weeks.
Mississippi flew directly to Orange Beach after the game last night.
Expert Analysis
AG
You can keep saying it was a rebuilding year, that doesn't mean you are correct. We did not lose much after last season. If this year is the new norm or just a slightly down year, that is one thing, but we were not rebuilding. 1st place in the league was likely too high of expectations, we finished fairly decently but our play was definitely not up to what we expect.
Next year is a rebuilding year, and there is no argument against that. You don't have 2 rebuilding years in a row.
redd38
AG
Expert Analysis said:

You can keep saying it was a rebuilding year, that doesn't mean you are correct. We did not lose much after last season. If this year is the new norm or just a slightly down year, that is one thing, but we were not rebuilding. 1st place in the league was likely too high of expectations, we finished fairly decently but our play was definitely not up to what we expect.
Next year is a rebuilding year, and there is no argument against that. You don't have 2 rebuilding years in a row.

Me saying it doesn't make it correct, the result of the season makes it correct. And who says you can't have 2 rebuilding years in a row???
Here4goodSoccer
I could have sworn I saw something a few weeks ago that Ausmus has medically retired from soccer. I think she is doing something similar to Margaret Schmidt (who if I remember was recognized as well on a senior night)
HiddenAg2
redd38 said:

We've only disappointed expectations if you had poorly formed expectations before the season. I tried telling you people, it takes more than a Watt to make a team. Coaches preseason poll means about as much as Sully (the miniature horse) picking teams.
I'm not sure it's fair to say expectations were poorly formed. The vast majority of fans and SEC coaches believed we were the best team in the SEC in the preseason based on returning players and additions. Plus we had a pretty favorable schedule. You may have been right in the end that this season looked more like a transition year, but when you have Watt as a senior and some other players that, let's face it, have not lived up to expectations, it's a tough pill to swallow. I do think that we have had some misses in recruiting evals and I'm partly to blame for that as well as I thought too highly of some of them when they signed with us. We have serious issues with the basics of soccer, such as first touch, controlling possession without turning it over quickly, and just plain poor soccer IQ at times. And it didn't help matters this season when we had our worst GK play in the history of the program.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.