****** BTHO Mizzou *******

4,422 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Expert Analysis
Giggem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Aggies host Mizzou today at 4 pm at Ellis Field, in a nationally televised match on ESPNU.

The Ags and Tigers have had some great matches in the past, each playing fast, strong soccer. Mizzou has at times been a pretty physical squad. The Aggies are 17-5-3 all-time against Mizzou

This season, MIzzou is not playing well. They sit at 12th in the SEC and need wins to even qualify for the SEC tourney.

Mizzou has not fared well against ranked opponents in the last several years, having lost eight in a row in such contests.

As everyone knows, Coach G and Mizzou coach Blitz are each Tulsa grads and long-time friends. Each has coached for nearly 30 years. G has over a hundred more career coaching wins than Blitz.

Sarah Luebbert (7 goals, 5 assists) and Julissa Cisneros (8 goals, 1 assist) lead the Tigers in scoring. Peyton Bauman is their regular keeper, with one shutout and a 1.6 GAA.

Look for Mizzou to play desperately, but the Ags to prevail at home.

Lots of promotions today, including Aggies CAN collecting canned goods and money.,

It'll be much better to be at the game in-person than to watch on TV, so you don't have to listen to Heather Mitts talk yet again about how great she was at Florida and how she won a national championship there
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
mullokmotx
AG
I agree about Missouri being desperate in order to be able to play next Sunday. I believe a win today would clinch as least 6th place in the SEC which means we would start play in the SEC tournament a week from Tuesday. And we need a win today to help ensure we host a first round game in the NCAA Tournament. I think G will play both Jordan Burbank and Kenna in goal today. At the radio show Tuesday G said a lot of youth soccer teams should be here today so I hope we have a good crowd for ESPNU.
redd38
AG
Desperate Missouri is dirty Missouri
CDub06
AG
Phew. Logged in to throw up some stats and the job is already done. Thanks buddy! See y'all at Aggieland
Hand Of God
AG
Ags down 1-0 early. I missed the goal.
Hand Of God
AG
Watt ties is it!
bbry81
Beautiful goal. Showing replays has caused us to miss the build up of both goals live.
Hand Of God
AG
McCain to Watt (again!). Ags take a 2-1 lead. Horrible goalkeeping from Mizzou.
bbry81
2-1 watt again. Not sure how the keeper missed that near post. Looked like it went right through her. We are countroling the game nicely
Gap
AG
Wow 2-1 after just 21 minutes. That is a lot of scoring.
Hand Of God
AG
They just said Mizzou's keeper was pulled up from the school's club team. That explains why she looks extremely shaky.
bbry81
Crazy story. She can't punt or kick very far. 3-1 Tara zimmer
Hand Of God
AG
Watt's 4 goals on the weekend would tie her for third most on the team for the entire season.
Hand Of God
AG
Watt hat trick!
bbry81
4-1 watt with the hat trick. Header from a corner kick
bbry81
Watt again with a sweet finish. I will say nothing the goalie could've done on any of the 5 goals other than watts 2nd. Great finishing today
Hand Of God
AG
ALLY WATT HAS SCORED 6 GOALS THIS WEEKEND!
bbry81
5-2 on a bad call to give mizzu a pk
Hand Of God
AG
Watt now leading the league in goals and points.
BQ_90
AG
Sloppy play. 5-3 now
bbry81
Poor clearance own goal. 12 min to go
Hand Of God
AG
Lopez leading the league in assists and third in points.
rausr
AG
Nice win!
redd38
AG
Don't love giving up 3 to Missouri, but I like Watt finding her stride at the right part of the season
HiddenAg2
Fist off, Missouri is a really poor team outside of one player. They basically had a walk-on playing in goal. Having said that, we saw the potential of the Lopez/Watts combination that could have been this season. That's why I've been of the opinion that this has been a disappointing season. But maybe A&M will finish strong and make a run in the tourney.

• Watt was dialed in and on fire today with her placement, decisions on the ball, and her shots which were very accurate. That last goal was a thing of beauty and her best goal the year. She actually should have had 2 more goals (one early in the game when she let the ball get too far out in front of her on a drive into the box, and another missed header that any contact would have scored) but that's nitpicking. This is the Watt I expected to see all season.
  • Lopez had another outstanding game with pinpoint crosses and so many great runs down the sideline. Watt gets all the press, but Lopez is the player of the year in the SEC. She is the best all-around player. So glad we have her for another year. She should be an All-American this year as well.
  • GK continues to be an adventure and it's shaky at best. Not sure what I would do here. I would definitely be on the lookout for some transfers in the portal.
  • Katie Smith continues to play well. The PK call on her was ridiculous. She will be on the of the key pieces in 2020 from the back line. She can play at all three levels of the field.
  • As a team, A&M had some very good passes forward with touch into space, which led to several of the goals and scoring chances. Need to keep that going.

Well, A&M is technically not out of a tie for the SEC title, but obviously everything would have to break perfectly for that to happen. Arkansas had a shocking result today and SC/Florida tied. I think the GK situation and inconsistent midfield will be too much to overcome, but you never know what will happen when you get into a knockout stage in the tourney. Let's hope we've turned the corner and can make a run now with the offense in a good rhythm.
redd38
AG
Even after watching a replay, I don't understand how Watt's 3rd goal went in.
Hand Of God
AG
You mean second? The angle was impossible. I guess the keeper thought it was going wide and just let it in.
Hand Of God
AG

You're not going to see many better goals than her second on Thursday and her fourth today.
mullokmotx
AG
I thought the Missouri keeper looked shaky from the start and now I understand why. I think the last time we gave up 3 goals and won was here against Arkansas in 2013. Ally, Jimena and Taylor always seems to play really good, but I thought Addie and Tera had noticeably good games today. Katie played equally good on both sides of the back line and her ability to push forward is something new that teams have to pay attention to. Give credit to Briana and Katie for playing all 200 minutes this weekend, and they were going against 2 dangerous players in Hopkins and Luebbert. I really thought G would play both keepers today. Against Vandy Kenna seemed to have more opportunities so she looked better because of that. I think 19 of our 23 players have started a game this season. I did not include Kendall in the 23 number because she is red-shirting.
ColoradoMooseHerd
On the 2nd goal, watch the keeper the second before Ally shoots. She takes a peak to see who is in front of the goal and that is the moment Ally shoots. Keeper never saw it coming.
FalconRT90
The biggest factor in this game was Addie McCain. 3 assist from a center midfielder makes A&M dangerous. She would have been player of the match if not for Watt having no choice but to finish 4 well placed balls.

I miss Mueller. Everytime I see one of our defenders pushing up, I remember her runs. When our defense closes space and has confidence to leave the back line, the added numbers increase the pressure and causes the other team chaos.

Reaghan Smith's double step over and pass with the finish from Ziemer put a giggly grin on Phil's face. It is great when the bench produces and it builds the future.

I give credit to Missouri for playing us straight up and trying to win. Bunker counter play just hoping for a tie will not better your play or the SEC. We count on each other winning nonconference for RPI, so we need them just good enough to beat everyone but us.

And a medal for bravery for the Missouri goal keeper. First week maybe in D1, and playing on Ellis Field.

I hope we can put all this play together for the rest of the year. It would be great to watch.
ProphAC
AG
I went to my first game at A&M since I was a student. I brought my 10 yr old daughter and she came with 2 of her soccer teammates. I know my daughter is only 10 but she is a very intelligent player at a young age. Her team won Surf Cup this year and is ranked as one of the best teams in the nation. I hope she and some of her teammates play for A&M one day.

She turned to me at halftime and said, "Why does our team waste so much and not value possession at all? It seems our only strategy is to get the ball to Ally and see if she does anything. Oh, and Missouri is terrible... the only good player that makes decent runs is 17."

Now, this is coming from a 10 year old. But I feel she was spot on. Our style is very wasteful and our movement off the ball is lazy because the whole team knows the strategy is get the ball to Watt. R. Smith needs to work harder when she is in and make better runs b/c she doesn't have the individual ability of Watt so she needs to work harder without the ball to create better space for herself.

I will say that our right defender applied some good defensive pressure and her service for the setup to create the first goal was top notch. Our mids are physically strong but lacked creativity and gave up possession easily. I know we won 5-3 but I was disappointed with the quality of the style. 2nd half was much better than the first but still, these are college athletes... Coach G needs to demand better. I can see why we aren't a top 10 team this year and a huge part is our style of play. Once Ally leaves, we are in trouble... big trouble. My 2 cents (and my 10 yr old daughter).
redd38
AG
The Aggies would crush your daughter's team
ProphAC
AG
10 year olds vs 20 yr olds... are you sure? You haven't seen my daughter's team play! Lol!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.