Silver Taps---Zach Elder '20

3,638 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ag 20
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I would put this on this page, I know it isn't soccer related, but you guys are as close to a family as I have here on TexAgs:

This is undoubtedly the most difficult post I have ever written, and will be my last post for quite some time, as Aggie sports, and all sports, just seem to have little real meaning to me now. Tuesday night Silver Taps will be held for my son, William Zachary ("Zach") Elder '20, who was a senior petroleum engineering major. Zach passed away in a car accident on Wellborn Road on September 13, 2019, driving home from the Rec Center after a workout.

My wife and I are both Aggies, so Zach was brought up attending Aggie Football games and loving all things maroon and white. As my family liked to joke, Zach was brainwashed early. He loved, loved Texas A&M and made it his goal from an early age to get into A&M. Zach was dyslexic, which just meant he had to work a little bit harder to make his dreams come true, so the day he was accepted to Texas A&M was extra special for him and for all of us.

While at A&M, Zach was a member of the Aggie Club of Engineers (ACE) and a participant in many intramural sports, while also being a part of the Petroleum Engineering Society, and participating in Songfest.

I had the joy and pleasure of coaching Zach when he was younger in baseball and soccer, and then got to watch him play high school soccer, baseball and football. He was at his happiest when he was part of a team and being a part of something bigger than just himself, and I think that is why being an Aggie appealed to him so much. Zach's other love was the outdoors and he enjoyed spending time up in the mountains hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding and fly fishing. We had family from Oregon and would spend time each summer in the mountains of Central Oregon, a place he thought of as heaven.

Since his untimely passing, his mother and I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support from the Aggie Family. He was to pick up his ring last Friday, and the Association of Former Students was very gracious in assisting us through that process. The Student Life Office has been so friendly and helpful, they could not have been nicer or more accommodating. We have received a tremendous amount of love, support and prayers from Aggies all over, and for this we say thank you.

The Association of Former Students has asked if they could display Zach's ring permanently with their class rings, and we were honored to say yes.

I always loved Silver Taps when I was a student, but I never dreamed I would be attending for a child of my own. But it is an honor to answer Here for the most red-ass Aggie I knew, and the one I had the privilege of calling my son.

Here.

Scott Elder '94

Zach Elder Silver Taps Article The Battalion

Zach's Aggie Ring

OneBlitzer
AG
Here. So sorry for your loss.

Praying for you.
redd38
who?mikejones
Basketball and Chain
AG
So sad.

Sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.
ptothemo
AG
Scott - I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Zach sounds like a good Ag and a better person. My heart breaks for your family and friends.

I would rather not go into detail in this context, but I would really like the opportunity to speak to you in less of a public medium if you are willing. I know that this time is beyond difficult, so I am going to post my email that you can use that to send me an email to reply to at your choice and timeframe. pcmoore21 at yahoo dot com

Here.

Perry Moore '09
ptothemo
AG
Scott - I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Zach sounds like a good Ag and a better person. My heart breaks for his family and friends.

I'd rather not go into detail in this context, but I'd like the opportunity to speak to you in less of a public medium if you're open to it. I know that this time is beyond difficult, so I'm going to post my email address for you to send a note for me to reply to at your choice and timeframe. pcmoore21 at yahoo dot com

Here.

Perry Moore '09
bbattbq01
AG
Here.

I can't even comprehend, prayers for you and your family.
wangus12
AG
Here,

Sending out our prayers for your son and your family. It sounds like ya'll raised an amazing young man.
speedy
AG
Here
CDub06
AG
Scott, thank you for sharing that with us and giving us a glimpse of a wonderful life. I am heartbroken for you and I know there are no adequate words I can offer, but your family is in my thoughts and prayers.
OregonAggie
AG
Here.

I'm very sorry to hear about this Scott. Your family will be in my family's thoughts and prayers.
jeffk
AG
Scott, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the heartbreak you and your family is enduring. Your son sounds like an amazing young man and I know he'll be missed immensely. Pray that you will find some comfort in the ceremony tonight and the outpouring of support from your Aggie family. We do love you guys and please let us know if there's *anything* we can do to help you and your family. You assuredly have our prayers as well.

Here.
randy828
AG
Here
redd38
AG
I'm gonna try real hard to make it to silver taps tonight
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
jeffk
AG
I'm planning on being there.
gig them
AG
Here.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Giggem
AG
Man, I'm so sorry. You obviously raised Zach right if he loved teamwork and helping others, as he did.

Here.
makemarket
AG
Here. I'm so sorry.
simutx
AG
So sorry for your loss.
TRM
AG
Here. Sorry for your loss.
planoaggie123
AG
Here. So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine...
eiggA2002
AG
Here.
agsalaska
AG
Here. So sorry for your loss.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Jak981
Such a great young man you raised. Such a great Ag.
So very sorry for your loss.
MROD92
Here. Prayers sent
Dre_00
There is no way I can understand how utterly devastating this must be for you. I'm truly so very sorry for your immense loss.

Here.
jeffk
AG
Really impressive turnout last night.
Furlock Bones
AG
Here.
FIDO95
AG
Reading the OP has me choking up right now. It really hits home. I coached my 10 year old sons' soccer team last night and will be back out tonight coaching my 7 year olds team. Just the thought of walking the road you are currently traveling for one of my sons is heartbreaking. I hope and pray for your continued strength and that I will never have to face bearing the cross you bear.

Here.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sharpdressedman
I am profoundly sorry for your loss, and your comment is a glowing and loving tribute to your son. May God wrap you and your family in the cloak of his mercy and love.
McJulie-O
AG
Grieving with you.... and praying for comfort for you...
Ag 20
AG
I know that I'm a little late, but Ags never suffer alone.

Here.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.