Thoughts on Pulisic not playing 3 games in a row...

9,148 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rudyjax
Pound the Rock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Open this up for all thoughts and opinions. If he's really not good enough or not training hard enough to beat out his other teammates, is there an option for him to be loaned out potentially?

How long is his contract at Chelsea?
texagbeliever
3 games. Calm down. It won't be too long before Mount goes cold and between midweek and league games he will get minutes.
Pound the Rock
AG
Sorry didn't mean to come off overzealous. Just a concerned fan.

And to your point about Mount, Lampard seems to have a personal, vested interest in him. Not sure he would even be the guy Pulisic subs in for.
wangus12
AG
Mount was one of the major reasons Lampard was successful at Derby and one of the reasons he is at Chelsea now. Of course he is gonna ride that horse.
texagbeliever
Yeah it will likely take some games but Mount won't be able to play 40 + games a year and have anything left in the tank in the spring. Rotation will come. Pulisic needs to execute when he gets in.
Smokedraw01
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
mrmill3218
AG
I hope he gets another chance and more minutes, but it's hard to say that looks likely right now. With a new manager who didn't buy you, you have to really really take the chance he gives you. Pulisic hasn't been poor at all but it just seems lampard doesn't really rate him. Hudson-Odoi is coming back to boot.
PatAg
AG
Maybe lets not overreact this early
OregonAggie
AG
It was always going to be a fight for minutes on that team so no one should be surprised. Hell Pulisic shouldn't be surprised.

He's going to get opportunities as the schedule fills with tournament games and hopefully he can show well. We also don't know how he compares in training. Maybe the other guys just flat out look better than him?
eiggA2002
AG
Going to get even tougher for minutes when the hyphenated duo of Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek fully return. Mount is starting because he is better. Managers like to start their best players. I like Pulisic and I think he is a good player, but it takes a while to bed into the Premier League. He'll get his it just may not be right now.
texagbeliever
Guys the most important part to any players development is being sold by chelsea. That is when they become a top 5 player see Debruyne and Salah.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Wrong manager- probably wrong team !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
greg.w.h
AG
PatAg said:

Maybe lets not overreact this early
is it ever too early to overreact? Or too late?
OregonAggie
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Going to get even tougher for minutes when the hyphenated duo of Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek fully return. Mount is starting because he is better. Managers like to start their best players. I like Pulisic and I think he is a good player, but it takes a while to bed into the Premier League. He'll get his it just may not be right now.

After Sancho beating him out in Dortmund, he probably hates young English players at this point. I think this will be a rough year for him
mrmill3218
AG
Sancho and Bruun Larsen (not English) beat him out at Dortmund.
OregonAggie
AG
True that but he's about to have 3 young Englishman ahead of him.
PatAg
AG
It's always harder for Americans to get playing time. There is definitely a prejudice against them in the EPL, even if it's only subconscious for some.
Dre_00
mrmill3218 said:

I hope he gets another chance and more minutes, but it's hard to say that looks likely right now. With a new manager who didn't buy you, you have to really really take the chance he gives you. Pulisic hasn't been poor at all but it just seems lampard doesn't really rate him. Hudson-Odoi is coming back to boot.

I think it's too early to panic but I think this sentiment is dead on. He was purchased by a manager who is no longer there. He didn't get a ton of starting time at Dortmund after he was sold.

I firmly believe he's a better player than Mount and Willian...easily. But I'm not certain Lampard will give him a steady run to prove it. He'll get his chance but if it's against the likes of Grimsby, is that really going to convince Lampard to play him more?
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

It's always harder for Americans to get playing time. There is definitely a prejudice against them in the EPL, even if it's only subconscious for some.

Guys like McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey never had a problem because they produced. Kasey Keller, Friedel, and Howard as well. Pulisic wasn't that convincing at Dortmund so I'm not sure why anyone around here would think he's a shoe in for a starting spot on Chelsea.

Who are the Americans that didn't get a decent shot in the EPL?
Sumatriptan
IN before this is blamed on the MLS.
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

Guys like McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey never had a problem because they produced. Kasey Keller, Friedel, and Howard as well. Pulisic wasn't that convincing at Dortmund so I'm not sure why anyone around here would think he's a shoe in for a starting spot on Chelsea.

You don't remember how it really was then. Dempsey had to reprove himself every year
mrmill3218
AG
Yeah I was about to say how tough demps had it. Had to prove himself with every new manager. I remember reading an article in which they talked about exactly that and how it was because he was an American.
mrmill3218
AG
Dre_00 said:

mrmill3218 said:

I think it's too early to panic but I think this sentiment is dead on. He was purchased by a manager who is no longer there. He didn't get a ton of starting time at Dortmund after he was sold.

I firmly believe he's a better player than Mount and Willian...easily. But I'm not certain Lampard will give him a steady run to prove it. He'll get his chance but if it's against the likes of Grimsby, is that really going to convince Lampard to play him more?

Not disagreeing with you at all, but just curious as to why you think pulisic is better than all those players?
wangus12
AG
OregonAggie said:

True that but he's about to have 3 young Englishman ahead of him.
On the plus side, almost all English players seem to lack consistency so they'll hit a streak of bad form soon enough.

OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

You don't remember how it really was then. Dempsey had to reprove himself every year

I'll give you that. I actually forgot about his struggles.

Poke holes in the other guys if you can. Hell add Geoff Cameron and Claudio Reyna to that group. Had Reyna not hot injury problems he would've started damn near every game.

My whole point is that Americans that actually prove their worth get playing time. Pulisic hasn't done that yet so we should all be patient. Americans have long said we don't get a fair shake in the EPL but I just don't think there's that many good examples of that.
Dre_00
Mount and Pulisic are virtually the same age yet Pulisic's resume is 10x more impressive and he has 10x the experience of Mount. Willian is 31 and has looked less than stellar in the league thus far.
OregonAggie
AG
While his resume/experience may look better than Mount, his performances haven't been. They haven't been to me as an observer and they haven't been to pundits that get paid to talk about this stuff.

I've been pretty impressed with Mount this year.
Dre_00
Yeah, I don't give two craps about 3/4 of the pundits. Big fan of multiple sites which routinely call out the fact that most of them spout utter gibberish.

And Mount has done well in his games no doubt. If he keeps scoring a goal every 2 games, he'll undoubtedly deserve to be starting ahead of Pulisic. But the thing is, right now, you have two diametrically opposite circumstances producing the same result.

Veteran player with history of great play but playing like dog crap => starting over Pulisic
Player the same age as Pulisic with 1/10th the career but playing well => starting over Pulisic

Like I said, it's been 6 games but if neither of those two things change and Pulisic still isn't given a run of games, something is wrong. Or if Mount's form reverts to the mean, something is wrong.
captainsubtext
OregonAggie said:

While his resume/experience may look better than Mount, his performances haven't been. They haven't been to me as an observer and they haven't been to pundits that get paid to talk about this stuff.

I've been pretty impressed with Mount this year.
One of the key items for success of a player is a coach having confidence in the player. Mount benefits from that.

Pomykal earlier this season talked about the improvement he made from the previous year and he talked about it was less than him improving in any one area and it was more of the coach having confidence in him. The new FCD coach was his former academy coach.
Pound the Rock
AG
Pulisic frustrated by lack of playing time

Interesting. Becoming a little vocal about his situation.
mrmill3218
AG
He is 100% done at Chelsea.
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

I'll give you that. I actually forgot about his struggles.

Poke holes in the other guys if you can. Hell add Geoff Cameron and Claudio Reyna to that group. Had Reyna not hot injury problems he would've started damn near every game.

My whole point is that Americans that actually prove their worth get playing time. Pulisic hasn't done that yet so we should all be patient. Americans have long said we don't get a fair shake in the EPL but I just don't think there's that many good examples of that.
I'll agree with that. I have confidence he will, even it ends up not being at Chelsea. I just think that if he was Pulisic from Croatia, that a new manager coming in would view him differently than Pulisic from USA.
Dre_00
If Chelsea want to sell him to United, we'll gladly take him.
OregonAggie
AG
mrmill3218 said:

He is 100% done at Chelsea.

He's been there for 6 months and they paid a truck load for him. I promise you Chelsea hasn't given up on him so he needs to just keep working.

Klopp notoriously keeps new players out for long periods as they get accustomed to the system. Not sure if Lampard is planning the same thing but he has said 2x that Pulisic needs to acclimate. If he isn't playing meaningful minutes by February then it's time to question whether or not he'll stick there.
OregonAggie
AG
Recent interview with Klinnsman talking about Pulisic.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.