Messi to MLS?

2,027 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTmAg
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This may get interesting.

heddleston
AG
That would be fascinating if it actually happened. His contract is thru 2021, but he can apparently opt out at the end of this season. I'm not holding my breath, but maybe if he goes for it then Suarez can also reunite with his BFF Lodeiro in Seattle.
texagbeliever
I think the US has a chance to start drawing talent pre significant drop off. Financially I'd bet our taxes have to look appealing, marketing/advertising opportunities and also residency post career in a more tax friendly country has to look appealing as well. Also in Messi's case he cant really go to a Sevilla or West Ham once he drops off from Barceloma levels.
Dre_00
Messi recently said that he wants to win things...namely the CL. If Barca win the CL this season, there's at least a small chance that he could leave on a high and move to MLS in the summer. He'd be 33 and while I'm certain he could still excel as a top 3 player in Europe for another year or so, maybe he decides the timing is right. If Barca don't win it, no chance he comes to MLS.
who?mikejones
AG
I'd like to see what he looks like playing an mls travel schedule. It's brutal compared to europe schedules.
AGC
AG
Would be interesting for sure but...there's a reason he hasn't played a league game for Barca yet this year and won't play this weekend. Lots of miles on those legs between WC, copa, and his professional career the last few years (playing virtually every game). I don't see a CL coming with the squad they have so why not?
carl spacklers hat
I think he stays thru the 2021 window then looks around. My personal opinon, I would love to see him in MLS. I think that would give a huge boost to the sport in the U.S. But, he's going to go the same route as Zlatan, Beckham or Rooney. He'll squeeze three or four more seasons out of Europe then come to MLS during the twilight of his career.
abacavir
He's already said he will end his career with Newells Old Boys.

HTH
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
who?mikejones said:

I'd like to see what he looks like playing an mls travel schedule. It's brutal compared to europe schedules.
can't imagine that a guy with the coin in his pocket like Messi would agree to a deal with commercial travel involved. Part of his comp will probably be paying for use of his jet to go from game to game.

My buddy in the dynamo front office says teams get like 1-2 chartered flight games per year so the schedule gets to be brutal (and is why away points are such a big deal in the league).

Messi would never go for stooping to have to wedge himself behind a lunch tray next to Joe Sweatsock and jet off to Raleigh-Durham.
heddleston
AG
The CBA is up after this season and the MLSPA has already started stumping over charter flights. It may just be a bargaining chip for more money, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the limit raised a good bit if not removed altogether.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Will the small market teams spring for charter flights?
jeffk
AG
Dynamo will still be in the final boarding group on SW flights out of Hobby.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
All middle seats, behind the wing, extra discount for lavatory adjacent
agsalaska
AG
I'm not a fan of this. Not sure why.

Maybe it's because Messi is the best player, IMHO, that I have ever seen. I'm 42. With all due respect to the MLS, and it's a good league, I want to see Messi playing with and against the best players in the world. And that wont happen here. If he wants to do something different he should go to England.

Imagine Messi leaving Barca for ManU, or Spurs, or Chelsea. Would be freaking awesome.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
aTmAg
AG
Supposedly, Messi promised Tito Villanova on his deathbed that he'd not leave Barcelona. I assume that doesn't mean that once he retires from Barca that he can never play in a game again. Tito would never ask or expect that. So I assume that means he'd never play for a Barca opponent. So all the CL possible teams are out, but he could do something like join Iniesta in Japan, go back to Argentina, play MLS, etc.

The only reason I'd think he'd consider MLS is that he has a bigger chance of living a normal life in America than anywhere else. He hates crowds, fame, and all of that. Soccer is America's 5th sport. So maybe he can play soccer here without all the other stuff. It's not like he needs the money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.