Some Thoughts re: BYU Game Tomorrow

1,479 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggie Futbol
Giggem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BYU had 5,000 fans in attendance for their game versus Utah last week. The environment was raucous. I'd expect it to be similar tomorrow.

I watched that BYU-Utah game (on the BYU channel). BYU is skilled. They're fast and they have good ball skills. GK is quite good. Forwards are speedy. In the Utah game, BYU often played the direct ball, looking for their forwards to run onto it, much like our basic offense. They have the capability to hold possession and pass the ball around, but didn't rely on it much. Some of that is probably due to Utah's ability to press on D. I think Utah is quicker than us, so it won't surprise me if BYU maintains more possession against us than they did versus Utah.

BYU is also not afraid to mix it up physically, so we should expect they will try to muscle us off the ball, much like nearly every opponent tries against us.

This will be tough match, especially if our kids come out a bit listless, like we saw this past weekend.
redd38
AG
Other teams always seem to feed off our crowd more than we do, so maybe we'll feed off the BYU crowd. Either way, I don't expect to win this one.
Here4goodSoccer
It will be a good test for our defense, which I think is the strongest third overall in terms of players and cohesion. I am curious if we will see a 4 back to combat the direct nature of BYU, whether at the start or after half.
Jimma
Is this game in College Station or Utah and is it being streamed?
Here4goodSoccer
Link is posted to stream on the SEC Soccer - Week 4 thread. It is at BYU.
mullokmotx
AG
I"ll be watching to see how much substituting we do with the game at altitude. Temperatures will be like they were at Santa Clara. I think the players have been looking forward to this game as a real test of where they are.
Aggie Futbol
This will be a tough game for the Aggies. This BYU team is good, potentially very good. This year's version of the Aggies has been very unpredictable and not very convincing, yet.

Perhaps the team has had a good week of practice but it would have been a shortened week. I believe they get Monday's off and yesterday was a travel day.

Our offense has yet to click and it's not clear they have established an identity of any sort. I do believe that the Aggies have players that can and will score but I'm not sure if they are ready to get going now.

The midfield seems to be a work in progress as well. This game will be a good test of strength, fitness and skill. Ball winning and excellent distribution will be critical. Getting back on defense will be equally important because the Cougars do attack aggressively.

The back three and keeper will either come out of this game looking like stars or goats. We look a bit exposed on the outside especially on high speed breaks.

Last but not least, BYU is looking for retribution from last years loss. They played better than the score indicated. So I'm guessing they are going to try and put the "hurt" on the Aggies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.