College Soccer Discussions

7,420 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mullokmotx
Here4goodSoccer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I didn't want to use any Aggie threads to post about other teams, but I feel some teams/players do warrant acknowledgment and praise. If you are able to get ACCN or PAC12N, please do it's worth the money if you want to watch good college soccer.

I'm currently watching VA dismantle WV 2-0 with both goals by former Aggie commit Diana Ordonez (8 goals on the year). Barring any injuries, she is making a great case for National Freshman of the Year. I wish she had stuck with A&M but the development she received in the Spring has really shown. I hope she gets a few call-ups to more senior teams because she has been fun to watch so far.

I've also tried to watch other top ranked teams and UNC, UCLA, Stanford, and Florida State seem like they will run away with the top spots all year. The first 3 are in a league of their own right now.

CDub06
AG
On the whole, the ACC is just a filthy good conference. It's like the SEC in Softball year after year. One thing I love about women's soccer is that the best teams usually begin the year with a couple of top flight matchups.

Florida State didn't fare well in their trip to the West Coast. Back to back losses at USC and UCLA had them drop from their #1 spot.

So far I think UCLA, Stanford, and USC have the edge over the ACC group though.
CDub06
AG
Just checked for the heck of it.
ACC has 8 ranked teams
PAC has 4
SEC has 4

EDIT: Linke - https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1/united-soccer-coaches
Giggem
AG
Thank you, Here4good. I, like you, am enough of a women's college soccer fan that I'll watch game on P12 and B10 networks, as well as the ESPNs. I'm hoping the new ACC network will give us some great games, too. There are some superb players and teams scattered around the country. I hope this thread will lead to some good discussions and will educate me about players and teams I hadn't noticed. Thanks for posting.
mullokmotx
AG
At the radio show tonight Dave Ellis asked G about the SEC Tournament. G said that, at his suggestion, the SEC will have 2 divisions this year and the first place team in each division will get 1 of the top 2 seeds in the tournament. I found this on the SEC website: " The two division champions shall be the top two seeds." It seems to be the same way the baseball tournament is seeded. I didn't hear him say if each division winner got a trophy. The SEC website does not yet show the standings by division.
Here4goodSoccer
I'm interested to see how the divisions will work out on the soccer side. I do like how they break it up for football and baseball and have their cross division rival.

Just looked at the ACC Championship site and it's within a few hours of me, I will probably head to watch at least the final if I can. I am sad they moved the Final Four to San Jose this year, I would have really liked to watch the tournament in person this year, especially if there is a dark horse that emerges.
redd38
AG
mullokmotx said:

At the radio show tonight Dave Ellis asked G about the SEC Tournament. G said that, at his suggestion, the SEC will have 2 divisions this year and the first place team in each division will get 1 of the top 2 seeds in the tournament. I found this on the SEC website: " The two division champions shall be the top two seeds." It seems to be the same way the baseball tournament is seeded. I didn't hear him say if each division winner got a trophy. The SEC website does not yet show the standings by division.

You might have noticed that the board outside the locker room had the current standings with the two divisions separated
CDub06
AG
I did not notice this and didn't know this change was coming. It really flew under the radar.

I guess this is beneficial for the Ags since it's teams from the East that traditionally challenge A&M for the conference title. And...now this thread has become A&M-centric. Sorry.
redd38
AG
CDub06 said:

I did not notice this and didn't know this change was coming. It really flew under the radar.

I guess this is beneficial for the Ags since it's teams from the East that traditionally challenge A&M for the conference title. And...now this thread has become A&M-centric. Sorry.

Well you didn't take the tour so I didn't expect YOU to notice
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Remember, the Aggies won a West Division title in 2012:
https://12thman.com/sports/2015/3/23/WSOC_2015060135.aspx
Here4goodSoccer
Any idea why they got rid of the divisions?
Giggem
AG
I watched the UCLA-FSU game the other night on replay. Wow, those teams are talented. UCLA was moving the ball so crisply. It's been a long time since I've seen a team pass around FSU with ease. FSU's heads were spinning. But they turned it on in the second half and made a game of it.

The biggest difference I consistently see between teams like UCLA, FSU, UNC and A&M is the quality of first touch. Their kids are either naturally more skilled or more regularly drilled on making a solid first touch that gets the ball immediately under control close to the player. It makes a world of difference in how well they play.
HiddenAg2
Giggem said:

The biggest difference I consistently see between teams like UCLA, FSU, UNC and A&M is the quality of first touch. Their kids are either naturally more skilled or more regularly drilled on making a solid first touch that gets the ball immediately under control close to the player. It makes a world of difference in how well they play.
This is an excellent point and something that I've been saying for years about A&M lack of fundamentals on the first touch. They need to spend most of their time in practice just working on this one area because it sets up everything else in the game.
Giggem
AG
Amen.
Here4goodSoccer
Spot on. I think we are all in agreement with what the top teams have with basic fundamentals. This is where the off-season comes into huge play. I'm not sure what the current NCAA rules are for practicing in the off season, but at a minimum two days a week should be dedicated to touches. Back when I played we were limited to one or two practices a week with our coach and everything else had to be self led.

UNC posted a video in pre season that showed a 1v1 drill that went through a build up in pace. I know UNC prides themselves in their 1v1 abilities, but something as simple as that drill can really build confidence in players who may not get the most minutes or who panic and pass during the wrong time could benefit from this.
Here4goodSoccer
Currently watching the Arkansas vs UNC game with Arkansas up by a score of 1-0 (currently) and the announcers said Pepperdine took down Stanford. This season has some crazy upsets.
mullokmotx
AG
The Waves beat Stanford Friday afternoon 1-0 on their so called soccer field. FSU beat Colorado 3-2 in OT the other day. Colorado was yellow carded 5 times, FSU 2. 3 goals were on PKs, 2 by FSU in regulation.
mullokmotx
AG
Pigs up 2-0 with 10 minutes left.
redd38
AG
Defenders kinda gave up on this one
Giggem
AG
Wow, that UNC center back looks S L O W
mullokmotx
AG
tu just lost at home to Monmouth 4-0. Wonder how many sips even know what state Monmouth is in.
redd38
AG
mullokmotx said:

tu just lost at home to Monmouth 4-0. Wonder how many sips even know what state Monmouth is in.
redd38
AG
Monmouth scored 1 goal in their first 5 games then put up 4 on Texas
mullokmotx
AG
I expect Southern Cal and Virginia to be 1 and 2 in the coaches poll this week.
Hand Of God
AG
mullokmotx
AG
3 of our opponents that we have played are on that list; BYU at 3, Brown at 12 and Santa Clara at 16. And we got a boost from Pepperdine beating Stanford. Top Drawer Soccer has Virginia at 1 and Southern Cal at 2. I noticed that Diana Ordonez did not play for UVA this past weekend. Chris Henderson on Friday did not have Stanford at Pepperdine on his big game list, but he added it after the game was over. Smart guy!
mullokmotx
AG
baylor is hosting Southern Cal Friday night. Surprised Southern Cal would schedule baylor after being mugged by them 2 years ago in the NCAA tournament played here.
mullokmotx
AG
I was looking at Top Drawer Soccer's list of the Top 100 Upperclassmen. Here are how many are on teams with at least 3 players on the list.

mullokag
mullokmotx
AG
Try this again.
I was looking at Top Drawer Soccer's list of the Top 100 Upperclassmen. Here are how many are on teams with at least 3 players on the list.

7 UCLA
4 North Carolina, Penn State, Florida State, Virginia, Southern Cal
3 Stanford, UT, Santa Clara, tu, Vandy

We play or have played against 9 players on the list and there are 9 players from the SEC.
mullokag
mullokmotx
AG
Where's the Defense? FSU beat BC tonight 5 to 4. BYU won at KU 2-0.
mullokag
Hand Of God
AG
Providence beat Texas 1-0 in OT. What happened to the Longhorns? I thought they had gotten the program back on track, but they've had several really bad results already this year.
redd38
AG
Hand Of God said:

Providence beat Texas 1-0 in OT. What happened to the Longhorns? I thought they had gotten the program back on track, but they've had several really bad results already this year.
redd38
AG
Texas currently has the 8th best RPI in the Big 12
mullokmotx
AG
UCLA and Pepperdine played to a 2-2 draw in Hawaii.
mullokag
Hand Of God
AG
Pepperdine going toe to toe with Stanford and UCLA sure is making our draw out there look a lot better.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.