Anyone else like me: watching soccer makes me like college football less

4,182 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm watching some college football right now and it seems like all I see is commercial after commercial after commercial after commercial. It never ends. Your commercial makes me hate the cars you manufacture, the bank you want me to bank at, the insurance you want me to buy, and the low-rent beer you're peddling.

I've gotten really spoiled by the 45 minutes followed by 15 at half and 45 and the game is over that is soccer.

Anyone else like me? Do i just need to go yell at more clouds?
texagbeliever
No it is the biggest side effect of soccer. All sports start dragging on. You are also in week 1 with garbage match-ups and no need to be undefeated so just less suspense.
Rudyjax
AG
Yep. Would much rather watch a random soccer match over a random college game.
mrmill3218
AG
I agree with this profoundly. I love college football but it's mind-blowing how much better done soccer is than American sports, and especially college football.
wangus12
AG
I Am Mine said:

Yep. Would much rather watch a random soccer match over a random college game.
And this is why I'll end up watching 5-6 soccer games each day of weekend. Its just so easy to watch matches back to back to back
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I have matches on all morning even if it's Paderborn v. Union Berlin in a throw-away DFB Pokal match.

With college football, there was a game on ESPN at 11 that I had to turn off and switch to EPL due to the over abundance of commercials and Beth Mowins in the booth.
Smokedraw01
Since I started following soccer, my college football watching has dropped. Part of that is due to age and following my kid but I just enjoy soccer more.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
Ferg
I still love College Football but MLS and the men's national team are now firmly in 2nd place in my heart. I don't really miss other pro sports.
greg.w.h
AG
The brilliance of a running clock, relatively minimal added time, and no visible pauses for playmaking add to under two hours stem to stern including introductions. Less if you accept ties at end of match during the competitive season.

Compared to 3 hours 12 minutes average for American football and 3 hours 9 minutes for Major League Baseball.

The NFL in-season overtime for game resolution with a single additional period isn't terrible because of the single additional period not because of the rest.

Neither game is likely to experiment with rules that significantly shorten games unless competitors emerge. Instead...they'll just continue leaking interest like a balloon with a piece of tape that you push a needle through.
JCRiley09
AG
Multiple times yesterday I found myself and a friend (another EPL fan) commenting on how to improve college football. It's still my favorite sport, but I kept wondering how a 60 minute game could possibly last 4 hours. Can we put a ribbon board around the field? More ads on screen next to the score? Anything to avoid commercial timeouts
alamoaggie64
AG
No.
OregonAggie
AG
College Football is my second favorite sport but it isn't close to soccer. While in college, NCAA football was my favorite but the longer i get from graduation day the more I like soccer.

Not sure how much the ads have to do with it but it is damn annoying to me when watching football.
rugger74
AG
You folks realize that to televise all the college games and provide income to the schools, ads are the answer. I would guess more eyes are on a college football game than a college soccer match. Do away with TV and a football game is not much longer than a soccer match.
Ferg
rugger74 said:

You folks realize that to televise all the college games and provide income to the schools, ads are the answer. I would guess more eyes are on a college football game than a college soccer match. Do away with TV and a football game is not much longer than a soccer match.
In addition, the OL and DL probably need the breathers.
jeffk
AG
rugger74 said:

Do away with TV and a football game is not much longer than a soccer match.

HS football games (with shorter quarters and typically not being broadcast) are already longer than pro soccer games in run time. Sure commercial breaks add some time to the broadcast, but the biggest difference is still the amount of dead clock time in football.

I love both sports - played and coached them - but football does drag on. At least it's not baseball though!
rugger74
AG
That is because baseball is timeless.
Rudyjax
AG
Trying to watch Seattle/LA.

The turf is horrible to watch.
jeffk
AG
Watch the players then.
PatAg
AG
rugger74 said:

no one is talking about college soccer in this thread
abacavir
I Am Mine said:

Trying to watch Seattle/LA.

The turf is horrible to watch.
4-3 and you are watching the turf you are doing it wrong.
Rudyjax
AG
It's annoying for sure.
Sports were not meant for that crap.
I'm sure it's a good match.
mrmill3218
AG
Turf is terrible and hard to watch, I agree.
MidTnAg
AG
greg.w.h said:

The brilliance of a running clock, relatively minimal added time, and no visible pauses for playmaking add to under two hours stem to stern including introductions. Less if you accept ties at end of match during the competitive season.

Compared to 3 hours 12 minutes average for American football and 3 hours 9 minutes for Major League Baseball.

The NFL in-season overtime for game resolution with a single additional period isn't terrible because of the single additional period not because of the rest.

Neither game is likely to experiment with rules that significantly shorten games unless competitors emerge. Instead...they'll just continue leaking interest like a balloon with a piece of tape that you push a needle through.
FIFA has determined in some previous World Cup tournaments that the average amount of time the ball was actually in play during games was roughly 55 minutes.
I wish that they has were divided into 30 minutes with the clock being stopped each time the ball was not in play. This would eliminate all the annoying fake fouls intentionally delays of the game and other impedances. You would have a lot smoother game and there will be no added extra time. Every match would be 60 minutes long.
eiggA2002
AG
The crossover for me happened about 2 years ago. I didn't think it would ever happen, but soccer is so far ahead of college football and it's not close. < 2 hours is a huge bonus. I may be the minority here, but soccer is more exciting than football....it's true.
jeffk
AG
Hard pass.
texagbeliever
Soccer is more enjoyable as the entertainment but football/baseball are better as background entertainment to have a bunch of people over. The pace allows for conversation and snacking.
PatAg
AG
I think football needs to change the viewing angle they use. It's so frustrating to have the ball be snapped, and then within 1-2 seconds half the players are off the screen.
joemeister
AG
I'm firmly in this camp as well, but soccer certainly has its own problems. Like the ridiculous international break schedules. The big European club seasons have all started, what do we need? An international break of course!

MLS is in full swing coming down to playoff time. What do we need? An international break so that the best teams lose their best players but have to play any way of course!
Rudyjax
AG
That is MLS' problem. The other leagues plan around it.

The bigger problems for soccer are the inconsistencies in VAR. it's almost like targeting in NCAA football.
OregonAggie
AG
I Am Mine said:

That is MLS' problem. The other leagues plan around it.

The bigger problems for soccer are the inconsistencies in VAR. it's almost like targeting in NCAA football.

Agree with both points. I do think VAR will be a great addition to the game but it's going to take a couple seasons to work out the kinks.
joemeister
AG
I get that the Euro leagues plan around it, it doesn't change the fact that we don't need an international break at the beginning of September.
texagbeliever
It is quite the buzzkill 4 games in to have this break that breaks up momentum.
TXAggie2011
AG
I get the complaint. However, most of the world's national teams are playing meaningful games this international break. Its not such a buzzkill when your national team is playing a meaningful game.

E.g. a lot of Germans and Dutch are going to be super buzzed during their Euro qualifier game on Friday night.
Pahdz
When ESPN does the all 22 camera angle on the Ocho or wherever for big games I watch that exclusively
deadbq03
AG
College football is the wife.

Soccer is the mistress.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.