Alfredo Morales

2,454 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He started for Dusseldorf in the Bundesliga over the weekend.

Why can't he even get a call from the national team?

He is a better option at the #6 than Michael Bradley and Wil Trapp.

jeffk
AG
He's not yet al dente for international play.
mrmill3218
AG
And MB and WT are lol?

If you can start in the Bundesliga you're certainly al dente to play for the national team.
jeffk
AG
Don't you get saucy with me, mrmill.
PatAg
AG
Having actually watched him play for the national team, and some club games, he hasn't impressed.
mrmill3218
AG
PatAg said:

Having actually watched him play for the national team, and some club games, he hasn't impressed.

Well he's doing something right if he is starting games in the Bundesliga.

There is no way Bradley or Trapp would make a Bundesliga team.
PatAg
AG
mrmill3218 said:

PatAg said:

Well he's doing something right if he is starting games in the Bundesliga.

There is no way Bradley or Trapp would make a Bundesliga team.
Bradley could

We all know why Trapp was on the Gold Cup roster. You still haven't mentioned if you ever actually watch any of these players play in Europe, or when they appear for the national team.
mrmill3218
AG
I watch every national team game and almost every bundesliga game that features and American.

No way Bradley starts or even makes a bundesliga team.
wangus12
AG
mrmill3218 said:

I watch every national team game and almost every bundesliga game that features and American.

No way Bradley starts or even makes a bundesliga team.
Don't be ridiculous. Bradley could certainly make and probably start for a Bundesliga team. It is just like every other league in Europe in that it is just as top heavy as the others.
  • You have 3-5 very good teams
  • another 5-6 mid-table teams that can give every team problems on their day
  • 2-4 teams that get all their wins against the bottom half of the table
  • then 3-5 teams that are trying to not get relegated/are so bad when you watch them that you think a pub team could probably win.

Bradley maybe can't make a spot in the top 10-13, but he could definitely play for one of the lower half teams. Lord knows watching Augsburg get smashed by Dortmund, that they could have used a deep lying passer like Bradley because Carlos Gruezo (who played for FC Dallas) was about as bad as you can be.

And its not like Morales makes some huge case as the main man for Dusseldorf. They only won 6 games that he played in last year. He's only 3 years younger than Bradley, doesn't have anywhere near the same passing range and loves to give fouls away. If we are gonna bring in new midfielders to replace Bradley (which I'm not opposed to), might as well bring in one of the younger kids from the youth system
PatAg
AG
Luckily most of them are, or will soon be, playing in Europe so Mill shouldn't have a problem with them.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

Luckily most of them are, or will soon be, playing in Europe so Mill shouldn't have a problem with them.

Mill thinks every player in Europe should play over an American based player because of who they play for, plain and simple.
mrmill3218
AG
OregonAggie said:

PatAg said:

Mill thinks every player in Europe should play over an American based player because of who they play for, plain and simple.

That's not true. I've supported and preferred plenty of Americans for the national team who have been playing in MLS.

I just think playing in a great European league says a lot.

It would be like if the US basketball team was playing a center who played in the D Leauge vs a player who was playing center in the NBA. Wouldn't you assume the player in the NBA was probably better? Wouldn't you wonder why this D league player is playing all the time when we have better players?

If a guy starts as a #6 for a team in the bundesliga I don't think it's unfair to ask why he isn't even being considered over a player who plays in MLS, which just doesn't even compare to the bundesliga, and who hasn't been good for several years now. I'm sorry but I just don't think that's unfair.

I think a lot of Americans have a really distorted view of Michael Bradley and how poor he's been for years now.
PatAg
AG
You're right, a lot think he's worse than he actually is.

You seem to think I'm saying he should be starting or is good enough to. I think he's a good player for the bench and maybe situationally start. I haven't seen Morales do anything that makes me want to see him over our younger up and coming players. He's mediocre just like Bradley
mrmill3218
AG
PatAg said:

You seem to think I'm saying he should be starting or is good enough to. I think he's a good player for the bench and maybe situationally start. I haven't seen Morales do anything that makes me want to see him over our younger up and coming players. He's mediocre just like Bradley

I'm glad we can agree about Bradley being mediocre and the younger guys starting. If Bradley starts when Tyler Adams is fit then I think there's a real problem.

I was more just saying that I'm not sure why Bradley has been a lock at that position for so long while a guy who is playing in the bundesliga wasn't even getting a phone call.
texagbeliever
Morales is an athlete. USMNT style of play doesnt or hasnt needed another lunch pail physical midfielder. Bradley can pass the ball pretty well so he fit Jurgens system better. Morales will never be a cdm of note for USMNT so it is better to have someone who can pass the ball and help keep possession then run around and pressure the ball.
mrmill3218
AG
Bradley was at his best when he was a box to box midfielder and had a lock down defender next to him at the holding player. I'm not sure why Bradley all of a sudden insisted on playing as a number 6, but he hasn't been good since. He used to be a goal scorer.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

That's not true. I've supported and preferred plenty of Americans for the national team who have been playing in MLS

I'm gonna need to see some links...
PatAg
AG
mrmill3218 said:

PatAg said:

I'm glad we can agree about Bradley being mediocre and the younger guys starting. If Bradley starts when Tyler Adams is fit then I think there's a real problem.

I was more just saying that I'm not sure why Bradley has been a lock at that position for so long while a guy who is playing in the bundesliga wasn't even getting a phone call.
Morales played, and didnt perform well with the national team, thats how it works
mrmill3218
AG
How come that hasn't been how it's worked for Bradley the last nine years?
mrmill3218
AG
Haha hard to imagine huh?

I do think the last crop of MLS players playing for the national team were a lot better than this one.

But I liked (from the 2014 WC) San Zusi, Yedlin, I thought Besler did a great job at CB, even Beckerman did pretty well I thought.
Pahdz
The MLS veterans that have seen time recently I would agree with you on, but some of the younger fellas like Reggie Cannon I think have a bright future.
mrmill3218
AG
I like Reggie cannon. I agree with you there for sure.
OregonAggie
AG
Not sure if you saw today but Morales got called up for the September games.
mrmill3218
AG
I saw it and I am very pleased. He deserves it.
OregonAggie
AG
Based on your numerous posts about him, I'm actually curious to see how he does. I watched his game this weekend and didn't take much from it but I'm always open minded.

Glad he finally got called up since you've been mentioning him for awhile now.
mrmill3218
AG
He's doing something right if he's starting and scoring in the bundesliga
mrmill3218
AG
I'll leave this here.

Morales is world's better than Bradley and has been for years.
Pahdz
I'm all in on Morales after tonight, played with an edge we've been missing in midfield
PatAg
AG
I'd like to see him on the field without having to cover for Trapp. Until Adams is healthy, next game Id like to see Morales at the 6, with McKennie and Pomykal ahead of him. Pulisic out wide one side and I guess Boyd the other. I cant decide if our tactics/execution suck, or if Boyd is playing poorly. He cant get on the ball at all, but we have Cannon pushed wide and high, not really sure where the hell we expect the wingers to be.

I went back and did some research, and I think a big part of why I was underwhelmed by Morales in the past is that we were playing him out of position. It was like left back or left mid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.