Hibs - Easter Road

1,469 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jeffk
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're going to be in Scotland later this month and I got tickets for the Hibs v Greenock Morten in a Scottish Cup match at Easter Road.

Havent ever been to a game outside the U.S. so I'm excited.

My mother was from Edinburgh and I remember her telling me her uncle was a Hibernian supporter.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'm jealous. Their stadium is just north of Arthur's Seat and the Palace of the Holyroodhouse.
gougler08
AG
I'm thinking about going to the match the weekend after (Scottish League game)...please post on the experience and any tips/tricks. Seemed like tickets were very cheap and the stadium isn't far from the city centre
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
3 seasons ago, I tried to get tickets to Hearts v. Kilmarnock. They simply could not be had from any source.
gougler08
AG
blindey said:

3 seasons ago, I tried to get tickets to Hearts v. Kilmarnock. They simply could not be had from any source.

I just looked at the Hibs website and their game next weekend had plenty of seats...but the following weekend league game isn't on their website yet for whatever reason so may be more difficult to get
abacavir
Ever wonder why Welsh teams can be in the Premier League and not Scottish teams?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
There have been some Scottish teams in the EFL system throughout history. I think Berwick (english) plays in the Scottish League system right now.
Mike Elko
AG
AgRyan04
I'll try....we'll be up in the Highlands by then

Definitely won't be able to post pictures until we get back to the states
AgRyan04
We had a pretty nice time....and got to see an exciting match....Hibs won in extra time 5-3 to advance to the next round of the Scottish Cup.

We had an awesome cab driver - he was a Hibs supporter and we had a great conversation. In general, the people are just so authentic and genuine here.

He explained that the games are traditionally at 3pm on Saturdays because back in the 1800s the working class worked Monday through Saturday but they would get off at noon and meet up to play at 3pm.

The Hibs were originally a group of Irish that played together. One then went off to Glasgow and started Celtic.

He explained the dynamics and religious background of Celtic v Rangers - Rangers didnt sign their first Catholic player until the 1980s.

We had tickets for the East stand - which happens to be the side where the gift shop is. I was suprised at how reasonable the prices in the gift shop compared to a US sporting event.

The stadium was rebuilt a few years ago - very functional, not very aesthetic. Big box with overhangs that cover all the stands - I'm sure the first few rows get wet if it rains, or higher if it's a driving rain but in general I think you would be dry during a shower. The East stand was a bit chilly from the breeze but the sun at a 3pm game will hit about 1/2 up the east stand and the east half of the north stand.

The ticket scanners weren't working so the were just looking at the tickets and letting you in as long as you were at the right stand.

There was some confusion as to where our seats were and I think the season was so young that none of the kids they had working knew the seating either. We asked 4 workers and ended up figuring it out ourselves. They don't have "sections" so the seat numbers don't reset at each aisle entrance....seat 1 is at the far south end of the stands and seat 4xx (or whatever) is at the far north end.

For this Scottish Cup match against a much less desirable opponent, the stadium was maybe half full, which was a little disappointing. There were also very little singing from the Hibs supporters.

One thing we thought was funny was that there was only one ball. So when it got kicked into the stands, everyone waited for the ball boy to go retrieve it or for the fans to toss it back down to the pitch. I could see that being a big problem in a high stake match where the home team is wanting to work the clock.

The supporters refer to their club as either the Hibs (pronounced with a soft "i") or the Hibees (pronounced high-bees).

We understood about 1/12 of what the PA announcer was saying....it was a combination of his accent and the PA system.

At the entrance to the field where the players and coaches entered and exited, there was this extendable tunnel that would come out, I assume to protect them from the fans. The opposing coach was red carded and it shot out so he could walk back into the locker room

Nearly all the players are Scottish so it seems like it was a little bit tougher/rugged football....more hard tackles and less rolling around like babies.

There was no stoppage time announcement or clock so that was a bit weird to try and figure out when the whistle was going to blow.

Had a good time....wish there were more games going on around the country while we are here.

I'll try to post pictures when we get back home

AgRyan04
Just getting around to the photos:

Arthur's Seat behind the stadium

I love this one - it's like someone peeled back the stadium and stepping back in time 100 years

The little extendable tunnel
jeffk
AG
Looks awesome!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.