Austin FC 2019-2020 thread

6,478 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgGrad99
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's cool!
AgRyan04
I'm still trying to decide on it....I'll probably wait until the away (or 3rd kit if there is one) comes out before pulling the trigger

In other news....Expansion draft will be Dec 15th
AgGrad99
AG
Kit is terrible.

I had high hopes, but they aren't good.
jeffk
AG
Interesting. I think it's very clean-looking. What don't you guys like about it?

Also, I'm assuming they'll have a white kit with mostly green trim and maybe an all-green 3rd kit at some point.
AgGrad99
AG
Imo - I just think they're ugly/boring. My neighbor said they look like an old/cheap U-10 rec uniform, and I agree.

I dont like the big vertical stripes. But I also think the separate stripes on the sleeves and the small ones on shoulder dont really 'match' (for lack of better term). They all seem like separate pieces that were stuck together.

There were so many simple/clean design concepts that were floated. I wish they would have taken a cue from those.

Something like these:

fig96
AG
So one problem with all the cool concept kits...they're just not going to happen.

Every MLS uniform is based on an existing adidas template, so outside of the occasional third kit you're not going to get anything too unique. Personally I think this is a good base look to build off, it's pretty iconic and differentiates from any other team in the league at a glance.
AgGrad99
AG
I hear you...they were just examples (and something close to the second two are feasible within Adidas' existing designs). But outside of all that, I just hate the big vertical stripes. I dont think it'll be a big seller, but maybe I'm wrong.

There are so many options, based on other teams' Adidas unis. These are bad.
jeffk
AG
fig96 said:

So one problem with all the cool concept kits...they're just not going to happen.

Every MLS uniform is based on an existing adidas template, so outside of the occasional third kit you're not going to get anything too unique. Personally I think this is a good base look to build off, it's pretty iconic and differentiates from any other team in the league at a glance.

Yeah... leagues with single suppliers all end up looking really basic. You get very little out of the box design. NBA, NFL, MLS all end up looking pretty generic. The best unis are always at lower tier leagues like AA/AAA baseball, USL, and Arena football because they all negotiate those designs and contracts individually (or at least they used to).

I like big stripes and hoops personally.
jeffk
AG
As an aside - I absolutely hate when teams opt for black or gray kits instead of using their bright primary pallet colors (stares at the Dynamo). Colors are good. They pop on TV. They set your team apart from the other 20 teams all wearing gray or black.
Furlock Bones
AG
They stole my terrible MS paint copy of Juve's jersey. So, I'm going to need a royalty fee for it. But, I like the jersey a lot.

Onceaggie2.0
lol at the Spanish on the collar
jeffk
AG
Porque?
Furlock Bones
AG
FPS_Dough said:

Think it's smart. The Dynamo have consistently done a horrific job of engaging Latinos in the Houston area. Some of the biggest supporters were essentially run off.
jeffk
AG
You could write a whole book about things sports clubs could do to alienate fans and fill it with examples just from the Dynamo. Can't believe how far the clan has fallen in less than a decade.
Onceaggie2.0
Furlock Bones said:

FPS_Dough said:

Think it's smart. The Dynamo have consistently done a horrific job of engaging Latinos in the Houston area. Some of the biggest supporters were essentially run off.

So by putting a Spanish phrase on a collar will make more Spanish speaking people come to games ? Just seems like someone said last minutes put some dumb Spanish phrase on the collar .
jeffk
AG
They've been marketing the club using dual languages since it's inception.
ChipFTAC01
AG
If the Dynamo were gonna go ahead and not try and market to the Latino fans then then should have gone ahead and named the team 1836.
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk said:

They've been marketing the club using dual languages since it's inception.
clearly doug has not been paying attention at all.
Furlock Bones
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

If the Dynamo were gonna go ahead and not try and market to the Latino fans then then should have gone ahead and named the team 1836.
hell the Dynamo could have been the 1836 and had better Latino support than they do. but they are run by complete and utter morons.
deadbq03
AG
Honestly, 1836 might be better all the way around if people knew the history of the name Dynamo in Europe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamo_Sports_Club
oragator
AgGrad99
AG
FPS_Dough said:

Furlock Bones said:

FPS_Dough said:

So by putting a Spanish phrase on a collar will make more Spanish speaking people come to games ? Just seems like someone said last minutes put some dumb Spanish phrase on the collar .
I dont think it's a big deal, but I do think they need to be careful.

One of the reasons so many Americans are reluctant to jump on board with soccer...is they view it as a foreign game. They need to market to Austin, to Central Texas...not a certain segment.

Houston and the Dynamo is an interesting case. I dont fault them for doing it the way they've done. I have buddies from Mexico, but they keep up with their old teams back home. They weren't going to switch allegiances from Tigres or Monterrey, just because there are in the US now. I dont think it's accurate to assume marketing more to this group will result in them jumping on the bandwagon, just because they're soccer fans.

In a market where you're THE Pro Team...just establish yourself as Austin's Team....and you'll be good.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.