Hope Solo with a quite a good article

1,480 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AustinScubaAg
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/08/fifa-var-womens-world-cup-uswnt-hope-solo

raises some very good points.
Unemployed
AG
Convenient she didn't mention that the refs were unqualified irrespective of VAR. Seeing that they're all women, I can see why she omitted that fact.
Furlock Bones
AG
RealTalk said:

Convenient she didn't mention that the refs were unqualified irrespective of VAR. Seeing that they're all women, I can see why she omitted that fact.
i think that's 2 different arguments. yes, a lot of the refs were bad. but, the only way they get better is by having experience at the highest levels.

but, you don't implement a new system and rule changes at the highest level. at the 2018 Russia WC, a number of leagues were already using VAR and others were experimenting prior to the tournament.
Unemployed
AG
I thought the use of VAR was effective at the WWC. It ultimately corrected infractions on the field that were missed by refs or purposely not whistled (offside infractions). Although I think enforcing the rule to not allow the GK to come off the line during the PK is kind of picky. All GKs do that.

Maybe I'm biased because most of the VAR decisions were in our favor.

akm91
AG
Quote:

at the 2018 Russia WC, a number of leagues were already using VAR and others were experimenting prior to the tournament.
Yep, they tested the VAR system during the Confederation Cup, IIRC, to work out logistical/technical kinks.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
RealTalk said:

It's not the fact they're women, it's the fact they don't have top experience. There are female refs at the top mens's leagues, though still very sparse.

There just aren't that many top women's leagues to pull good refs from. This will change but will take time.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
MookieBlaylock
AG
That was better written than any of today's sports writers can do

Her top 3 should include the keeper bc she won the England game with 2 great saves

Furlock Bones
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

That was better written than any of today's sports writers can do

Her top 3 should include the keeper bc she won the England game with 2 great saves

haha, i think Solo not taking another pot shot at Naeher was the most she could handle.
AustinScubaAg
AG
akm91 said:

RealTalk said:

It's not the fact they're women, it's the fact they don't have top experience. There are female refs at the top mens's leagues, though still very sparse.

There just aren't that many top women's leagues to pull good refs from. This will change but will take time.

Even then it will not get better with the limit on the number of referees per country 1 R 2 ARs. There will likely never be a lot of quality Refs except from the US or Europe especially if only femail refa are used. Use the best Refs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.