Question for rules experts...

1,542 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by snowdog90
ja86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shouldn't this be a straight red?

Unemployed
AG
Yes.

That ref was atrocious.
TXAggie2011
AG
Yes.
AgGrad99
AG

"I'll pinch his nipple, you grab his neck"

//ref
MookieBlaylock
AG
the ref clearly didnt see the choke or the knees to the kidneys of Altidore
snowdog90
The Mexican dude that landed on altidore"s back should have been red carded as well, but the trick is that for these idiot refs, you have to sell these calls. US players live in a culture where a man should act like a man. Concacaf is a region where players act like they should be put on life support if your arm comes anywhere near their face.

Not just concacaf, I realize, but that's where we play and that's why we struggle when being reffed by refs not from USA or Canada. Mexico is good at acting like little *****es. Had the roles been reversed in that picture, the Mexican player would have been rolling around on the ground holding his throat, every other Mexican player would have been mobbing the ref demanding a red card, and the ref would have red carded the US player.

This is the sad reality of the sport that I otherwise love.
PatAg
AG
I actually think the ref was doing a good job of keeping the players under the control for the most part of the game. Some severe mistakes were made, especially near the end. Probably wanted to leave the stadium alive
Mathguy64
AG
Yes. The referee had an objective last night and that was to show he could finish a Gold Cup final at 11v11 while simultaneously showing no cards at all. If you have really good man management skills you can accomplish that. He didn't. It was a **** show. In pure CONCACAF fashion.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Don't forget him ignoring the new sub rule to eliminate time wasting and walking the player off the field and shaking hands with the Mexican players
Then didn't add any time
Dre_00
Ehhhhh...have you watched a MLS game? American refs can be just as horrible as non-American ones. There's elements to this that sounds like that Nike campaign "Americans don't dive" which is a bunch of crap. And I seem to remember several American players asking the ref for a card on Guardado (which he fully deserved).

The ref was a complete **** show. No need to try and turn it into a moral high ground about how Americans are manlier and our refs are better.
snowdog90
Dre_00 said:

Ehhhhh...have you watched a MLS game? American refs can be just as horrible as non-American ones. There's elements to this that sounds like that Nike campaign "Americans don't dive" which is a bunch of crap. And I seem to remember several American players asking the ref for a card on Guardado (which he fully deserved).

The ref was a complete **** show. No need to try and turn it into a moral high ground about how Americans are manlier and our refs are better.

No I don't watch MLS. Why would I? I watch Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, Champions League and International soccer. Bad refs abound everywhere. I'm not saying Americans are more manly or that our refs are better. I'm saying, in soccer, Latin and South American teams grow up learning to flop and fake and draw fouls and cards. Americans are just starting to do this, but are not nearly as proficient at it as teams like Mexico.

That's just obvious and it played out Sunday night. Mckennie saw the Mexican dude jump on Altidore's back and he reacted. Hands to his throat, he stood there like a man ready to throw down. A Mexican player would have fallen to the ground as if his throat had been cut.... Not because of manliness, because of training, soccer culture.

Thanks much to a ref that was brought up in the same culture as the Mexicans, Mexico was not carded, and were given the lions' share of calls. As for what happens in the MLS, I don't care.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.