***** Official World Cup Final 2019 USWNT vs. Holland Match Thread *****

27,103 Views | 429 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agracer
DuncanField91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bagger05 said:

tmaggie50 said:

I only watch soccer during major matchups and major tournaments. Dunn jumped out to me in every single game. She was the one person I constantly noticed because of her play. She destroyed her opponents. Looked like the best player on the field when she was challenged.

I might be in the minority on Dunn but I thought she played well but didn't defend all that great if that makes sense. I noticed her on defense because she seemed to be out of position and had to hustle back to defend someone she left open (which she did extremely wellgreat recoveries for the most part). I remember several VERY risky sliding tackles as last ditch efforts when she was playing catch up.

Thought she would've been a much better wing than left back.
I thought that she was coached to do that. She seemed to pull in close to the centerbacks and wait until the ball went wide before committing to the flank consistently throughout the tournament. I wasn't convinced until she shut down Diani in the France game. Diani had created the goals to get France to our game and Dunn neutralized her. (I think Diani is the best wing in the game - so my opinion of Dunn went up a lot after this.)

As to why she would have been asked to do this - maybe the thought was our primary weakness was speed through the center of our defense? I don't know.
Bryan98
AG
A number of pundits think Dunn has been fantastic.
Grapesoda2525
Who do you guys think gets trimmed off for the Olympic roster?

I'd like to see press replace rapinoe as a starter and get a chance to shine for once. I'm assuming Morgan and heath will be back through the next World Cup.

Seem to remember most of the rest of the team being pretty young. Saurbrun, Lloyd, and Krieger probably need to retire tho.
Hand Of God
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Who do you guys think gets trimmed off for the Olympic roster?

I'd like to see press replace rapinoe as a starter and get a chance to shine for once. I'm assuming Morgan and heath will be back through the next World Cup.

Seem to remember most of the rest of the team being pretty young. Saurbrun, Lloyd, and Krieger probably need to retire tho.

I'd go with...Brian, Franch, McDonald, Long, and one of Davidson/Sonnett/Krieger.

Knowing Lloyd, she'll try to press on to make one more Olympics roster but she should probably retire on top.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

I think she'd be a better wing back---really get the speed and attacking skills some spotlight---but I think she made a pretty good left back, at least within the system we used. I'm not sure she'd shine as a left back in every system, but it worked pretty well for us this time around.
Hand Of God
AG
Good read.
MookieBlaylock
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I think she'd be a better wing back---really get the speed and attacking skills some spotlight---but I think she made a pretty good left back, at least within the system we used. I'm not sure she'd shine as a left back in every system, but it worked pretty well for us this time around.
Speed and quickness of Dunn was tops in the tourney- Dianne is used to being faster than most players and Dunn was as fast and quicker and was the defensive MVP of the team- She should have one player of the tourney over Rapinoe
akm91
AG
Hand Of God said:

akm91 said:

Hand Of God said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Time for some youth for the Olympics next year-

Long, Krieger, Rapinoe, Saurbaun, Lloyd need to move out of the way for Davidson, Pugh Horan and younger players

The team will likely make very few changes for the Tokyo roster. It's after that tourney that the new blood will be incorporated.

A year is a long time. The question is will Ellis still be coaching the national team for the Olympics?

Is there reason to believe Ellis won't continue?

The 23 player roster actually has to be cut down to 18 for the Olympics. So, more players will be chopped than added (if any).

After the 2015 WWC, four players retired and two got pregnant so that made the changes easy for Ellis heading into Rio.
She's been coaching the team for 5+ years, including her interim stints. Does she still have that desire to keep coaching or does she want to go out on top? Does she want to try to win the one title that has eluded her but possibly tarnish her legacy?

Her contract is up at the end of the month and believe there is a one year option. I think US Soccer holds that option. It will be interesting to see what happens.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Quote:

As to why she would have been asked to do this - maybe the thought was our primary weakness was speed through the center of our defense? I don't know.
I think you see this a lot and not just in women's game. Lots of teams try to clog the middle and force opponents out wide to whip in crosses. The thinking is that strong CB's will snuff out those chances.

I think in Dunn's case, sometimes her timing is slow in moving out to defend but her speed bails her out.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Hand Of God
AG
agracer
AG
Happened to be in NYC this week. At the parade right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.